Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly was an amazing person. I think he would agree though that he was fortunate to be born in the Western world.
How many potentially great people are denied any opportunity because they are born into poverty?
The universe is fascinating but wouldn’t it be something if we could fix our own world.
So true.
The tumour I have in my head kills people in other countries simply because they don’t get treatment.
We are indeed lucky to live in this great country.

Last edited:

I share Stephen's viewpoint. The Earth borderline-cannot be fixed. Men have evolved with inbuilt greed and aggression and our planet will eventually become inhabitable.

To ensure our future as a species we need to colonize elsewhere in the universe and we need to start research on the technology now.

Earth is our birth planet and our home as a species but it doesn't have to be humanity's swansong. If we all just put our minds together we could achieve so much greatness, on a galactic scale.

I also share his (and Elon Musk's) view on Artificial Intelligence. I believe the internet is mankind's most significant invention to date as it's given everybody a global voice and allows us to communicate in ways nobody ever thought possible in the time beforehand.

If created, Artificial Intelligence could be the single biggest invention in human history, ever. But we need to make sure we create it sustainably with our goals aligned with its own. If we do manage to create an intelligence greater than our own, then it has the potential to undergo it's own changes and self improvement, and without a moral compass or human feelings, it could eventually look down on us the way we look down on snails.

Humans rule the world not necessarily because we are the strongest, but because we are the smartest. We have grown to use our minds to control the resources on earth in an effective way. We cannot best a lion in combat however we learn how to control the lion by being smarter than it.

An AI could become smarter than anything we have ever dreamed of, and in Stephen's own words;

‘You’re probably not an evil ant-hater who steps on ants out of malice, but if you’re in charge of a hydroelectric green energy project and there’s an anthill in the region to be flooded, too bad for the ants. Let’s not place humanity in the position of those ants.’

----------

With the passing of Stephen I think it's time that everyone stops taking Stephen's stark warnings as pure mythology. They're just going to be a part of humanity's natural evolution as a whole and ultimately our future is in our own hands, for now.

*Tried to be intellectual like jmac. Hope it worked. :p
Hmmm..... you need to watch this movie;

CF99B299-3F2D-43DC-BC31-84CE19F5BE35.jpeg

So true.
The tumour I have in my head kills people in other countries simply because they don’t get treatment.
We are indeed happy to live in this great country.

The tumour in your head kills people in other countries?

Have you thought of selling your technology to Vlad Putin or Kimmy from N Korea? Could set you up for life:)

Apologies for the flippancy but this also a reason we should be grateful to live in this country. Freedom of speech!

The tumour in your head kills people in other countries?

Have you thought of selling your technology to Vlad Putin or Kimmy from N Korea? Could set you up for life:)

Apologies for the flippancy but this also a reason we should be grateful to live in this country. Freedom of speech!
No worries.
Left untreated, the tumour will grow into the brain. It will grow and push out your eyeballs.
It has a 15% chance of becoming cancer.
But in countries without a decent medical system, people die from the growth because it’s not removed.
Flippancy is wonderful, but next week I shall sit in a clinic in St Vincent’s with many people who may not see Christmas. For me, it’s a sobering experience.

No worries.
Left untreated, the tumour will grow into the brain. It will grow and push out your eyeballs.
It has a 15% chance of becoming cancer.
But in countries without a decent medical system, people die from the growth because it’s not removed.
Flippancy is wonderful, but next week I shall sit in a clinic in St Vincent’s with many people who may not see Christmas. For me, it’s a sobering experience.

Yep, I understand that feeling. Best of luck.

So true.
We are indeed lucky to live in this great country.
Yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I apologize for my lack of posts this morning and early afternoon.. just got home from a one night stand re.
Being alone, I guess does count as a ONE night stand.

:D

I don’t miss the days of one night stands.

No better feeling than the 2010 premiership final siren.. that was complete euphoria.. I was f tearing for days.. 2 things I remember at the end of it.. Didak with Toovs hugging the f out of each other.. and how can you go past Luke Balls reaction..

No better feeling than the 2010 premiership final siren.. that was complete euphoria.. I was f tearing for days.. 2 things I remember at the end of it.. Didak with Toovs hugging the f out of each other.. and how can you go past Luke Balls reaction..
I might watch it tonight if the wife conks out early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back