Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free to a good home...

As part of my AFLW sponsorship package, I've just received two 2018 seasons tickets from the club, which admit to home games but no specific seat allocation.

More than a little late Pies, given we are four games in, but better late than never!

I dont need them, so I'm happy to give them away. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

You think teams like Melbourne, West Coast, Fre, WB and Gold Coast don't lift when they play us?
Okay then.
For many bottom feeders, a game v the Pies is the closest they get to the last day in September.
Of course they lift.
And if they win, they get a boost in members and sponsorship.
High stakes.

Just got home from MSO's brilliant Tchaikovsky 5. James Ehnes is otherworldly on the violin (played a solo beforehand)
Me too.
The Tchaikovsky was sublime
And the conductor awesome

For many bottom feeders, a game v the Pies is the closest they get to the last day in September.
Of course they lift.
And if they win, they get a boost in members and sponsorship.
High stakes.

Over the years most teams seem to lift when they play us... I dunno if it’s because of those reasons but it happens nevertheless... and back in the day Fitzroy were the worst offenders, even when they were on the bottom..

:eek:

wow I had no idea! is our theme song racist??

I think that could definitely be argued, but there's two knots at the heart of the matter (as I see it - happy to be shown otherwise) that makes a clear conclusion difficult. One is that irony noted in the article, 'a slave dance covertly mocking white slaveholders that later was adopted by whites unaware of the mockery'; and second, that the intentions of those who made the song the anthem may not be available to us (I have little doubt that they could be quite racist, but was that their intention in using the term cakewalk?) The cakewalk could be subversive, but I don't think our club is. It would be hard for them to argue for a benign interpretation of the song through anything other than ignorance. I think what I'm getting at is that what's more important than identifying the song as racist or not is how the club might try to interpret the song as part of the club's identity and on that basis actively absorb or reject it for something else.

Another weird thing about the club song is that it's an old Boer War anthem (and Spanish-American War anthem before that.) But again, I don't know what the connection is between the colonies'/Commonwealth's participation in the Boer War and the club's use of the song. While I find that connection thought-provoking, I'm really not sure where to take it (just yet.)

Two rising star nominations in four weeks is amazing. Two in a year has been a rare occurrence in recent years so two in a month is very promising. Looking forward to a few more before the year's out. This is the best "rising star" start to a year since 2006 when we had two nominations in the first five weeks (start of a great run where we had 7 2010 premiership players nominated) History shows the winner comes from the nominations in the first half of the season so maybe we might finally get a winner after Heater was ripped off in 2006.

(Steele seems a noticeable absentee from this list, but eight premiership teammates are nominated)

And the nominees are....

2017 Tom Phillips
2016 Darcy Moore
2015 Tim Broomhead,Jordan De Goey
2014 Tom Langdon
2013 Marley Williams Brodie Grundy
2012 Ben Sinclair
2011 Alex Fasolo
2010 Ben Reid
2009 Jaxson Barham Brad Dick Dayne Beams
2008 Nathan Brown
2007 Scott Pendlebury Marty Clarke Tyson Goldsack
2006 Dale Thomas Heath Shaw

Last edited:
Looking ahead to about round 3, 2020.

Collingwood v Carlton.

We will finally overtake them on wins v losses for the first time in my lifetime.
This is an underrated post. I remember when we were ahead it was a source of pride but they just killed us during the late 70s and 80s. Never thought we would get close again..but we are almost there! i wonder if there are any other sides we are down on in win loss record? it would only be one of the newbies if it was

Looking ahead to about round 3, 2020.

Collingwood v Carlton.

We will finally overtake them on wins v losses for the first time in my lifetime.
We've certainly been in front in my lifetime, but 1981 is a bloody long time ago! I don't like seeing us losing (or even level) in win/loss records with anyone, so we need to beat West Coast next time we play them to get in front and Port Adelaide to at least draw level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an underrated post. I remember when we were ahead it was a source of pride but they just killed us during the late 70s and 80s. Never thought we would get close again..but we are almost there! i wonder if there are any other sides we are down on in win loss record? it would only be one of the newbies if it was
Port Adelaide (14-15). Level with West Coast (24-24-1D).

If you are looking for a cheap holiday this may be for you.

A friend is driving back a two berth campavan from Perth to Melbourne. She is flying to Perth and driving it back to Footscray. She is paying $5 per day for the hire plus $12 per day insurance, they give her $100 for petrol.
Is given 5 days to complete the trip.

She has done this before for a hire car company. She loves it, has asked me to join her but I prefer a short walk to a shower so doing it on her own.

Last edited:
Doesn't need a new thread but thought some folks might find it interesting:

I assume many posters here are familiar with The Squiggle (for those who aren't, its an AFL data analytics site - http://squiggle.com.au/). The site currently has us favoured in 14 of our remaining games this year from this point on. Yes these predictions are fairly volatile, yes they are dynamic, i get that, just thought it was some interesting info.

16 wins would be nice.

Doesn't need a new thread but thought some folks might find it interesting:

I assume many posters here are familiar with The Squiggle (for those who aren't, its an AFL data analytics site - http://squiggle.com.au/). The site currently has us favoured in 14 of our remaining games this year from this point on. Yes these predictions are fairly volatile, yes they are dynamic, i get that, just thought it was some interesting info.

16 wins would be nice.
Terry Wallace has us finishing with 13 wins in total and finishing in the 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back