List Mgmt. - Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15) | Page 246 | BigFooty

List Mgmt. Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15)

Discussion in 'Port Adelaide - Est. 1870' started by malcolm, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jonts

Jonts Premium Platinum

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
    i didn't think so but without having watched that game in over a month i didn't have the confidence to say it :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Enviable Tradition

Enviable Tradition Professional Procrastinator

Port Adelaide
    Bottom ager too so more upside than most.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jonts likes this.
  3. shewho

shewho Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Are there other teams?
    Yeah I get it. But I'm Rankine>> Smith> Rozee. Very subtly different but that doesn't take account of the go home and achilles issues.

TAC Cup is hard to judge as there are 12 teams who because of varying school commitments don't always have their best available and at that age development of physique varies. Just have a look at the film of Max King kicking 8-5 (it could have been 13-0 but was very windy). Hard to judge because his opponent was a solid foot shorter than him.

At least if we pass on Smith, you know he won't end up at the Cows. But if we pass on Rankine he might. That would be unbearable.

4. RussellEbertHandball

RussellEbertHandball Premium Platinum

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Hannebery went to Xavier and was in the same boat, although he turned 18 in February and they were the days you could turn 18 by 31/3/next year to be drafted this year, where as last 7 or 8 years its been by 31/12/this year. He was on the swans list in 2009 but stayed in Melbourne to finish year 12 and played school footy in year 12, but played a few AFL games in 2009 whilst still at school.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Jonts likes this.
  5. rumoursofwinter

rumoursofwinter Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    I'm happy to take Smith over Rankine.

Smith is a december baby who has transitioned from the backline to a dominant mid in a short period. Rankine is precocious talent (8 months older) who has ridiculous evasive skills as a forward. Personally i think Port needs to build it's midfield and spine rather than using such a valuable pick on a forward flanker who can pinch hit in the middle.

The reality is that there is a pretty clear top 5 and it's likely we take the player available. (Walsh, Luko, Rankine, M. King and Smith)

To me, Smith rises as King has injury risk. (acl) Rankine plays the least important position, doesn't have great disposal and openly has issues about training.

noffle likes this.
  6. awesomedal14

awesomedal14 Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Rankine we get immense talent with questionable professionalism. Smith we get immense professionalism with questionable talent (when compared to the likes of Rankine). Either way, I'll completely understand and respect the club's reasoning behind the decision to chose one over the other if it comes to that. They both fill a need and neither is that much better than the other all things considered. I'm happy taking either, no preference.

Dandiprat, Lockhart Road and Rendaw like this.
  7. Pablo Escobar

Pablo Escobar Rookie

Port Adelaide
    We could have picks 1,2 & 3 but unless our coaching group get their shit together it probably won’t mean an ounce of shit

8. Willsy10

Willsy10 Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Smith would've been forced to play school footy, that's the way the College system works.

9. Zakk Wylde

Zakk Wylde Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Phoenix Suns
    Team Smith here...although dream scenario is Smith and Rankine using next years first also.

10. Willsy10

Willsy10 Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    So is Rozee completely out of the question now? Or one of the Kings? It's come down to Rankine V Smith debate here, is it that simple?

Young Gun #6 and mic59 like this.
  11. philthy05

philthy05 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    adelaide 36ers
    Yeah I’m very happy either way if we go smith or rankine.

At the moment the suggestion seems to be from multiple afl sites that

Blues - Walsh
    Gcs - luko / rankine
    Saints - max king
    Port - Ben king or smith

Gcs are linked to Caldwell but it’s hard to say if they wouldn’t take Rozee at 6.

C4 on here did say that both sa teams were confident that Rozee comes back to sa first chance he gets so I am wondering if now Rozee slides to crows first pick.

We’ve been linked to Rozee at 10 lately but I would be amazed if crows pass on him but they have a history of left field first round picks

Smith / Rozee would be an amazing pair to draft with our first 2 picks.

yepits2020, Nemisis and mic59 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. mic59

mic59 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
    Most of the choice here seems to centre around Smith and Rankine. Lukosius and Walsh look like a bridge too far. But if worst comes to worst I'd hope that we take the player with the good smarts and delivery, because that's what we've been missing.

13. Nater

Nater All Australian

Port Adelaide
    What if the saints take Smith at 4 after the suns take roezee at 3 and we're left with a choice between max king and rankine

14. MadFan23

MadFan23 "We're all hurting." PAFC 2015-18

Port Adelaide
    Then we take Rankine (hopefully).

benblinkau, Young Gun #6 and JUSTWORK like this.
  15. PJ Power

PJ Power Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    I briefly heard Wildy say they had some upcoming news on Bailey Smith, before turning off my car radio. Anyone know what that was about?

16. Young Gun #6

Young Gun #6 Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Juventus, Suns
    I bloody hope so!

Max king goes at 4 if it’s down to Rankine or Smith for us at 5. There’s no way we should be raking Ben King at 5 when there’s probably a 50:50 chance he’s still there at 10.

benblinkau likes this.
  17. Rendaw

Rendaw Rookie

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
    I want Smith but I get the feeling he is a flight risk..

In the article posted by Ford he is quoted as saying:
    “I obviously understand that it’s a national competition and you can go anywhere, but I’d love to stay at home and I reckon I’d get the most out of myself if I did.”

For someone so driven to get the best out of himself if he feels he isnt reaching his potential, which Port consistantly fails to help players achieve, he will want to go back home.

Also in the draft rumors thread posters are talking about him being a flight risk and that Cal Twomey mentioned it on his podcast.

It seems the Dogs are very keen on him too.

18. OneGreatClub

OneGreatClub Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    How is that any less draft tampering than Rankine saying he would lprefer to play in Adelaide?

19. Schulzenfest

Schulzenfest Hall of Famer

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Toronto Raptors
    It's not, but we're in Adelaide. Rankine isn't leaving us to go play in Adelaide. Smith could leave us to go back to Melbourne.

El_Scorcho and Young Gun #6 like this.
  20. bushwood

bushwood Team Captain

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Pistons, 36'ers
    Who's hoping Rankine is gone by 5 just to save us all years of torment for passing him up?

Spadge, Chrizzt, David Puddy and 7 others like this.
  21. Rendaw

Rendaw Rookie

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
    I dont think its draft tampering at all. Most if not all draftees want to stay in the same state.

My concern is Ports inability to develop talent may drive him to go where he thinks he can get the best out of himself.

We managed to turn Wines' view around so hopefully we could do the same with Smith.

If the Dogs are keen on him then they definitely wont trade their pick to us on draft night if he is still on the table.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OneGreatClub likes this.
  22. Magus

Magus Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    The irony is we have a better recent track record with retaining Victorian players than we do South Australian born. LOL

23. scottjr

scottjr Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    No. If we can get another high pick selling next year's 1st then it's Smith/Rankine/King/Rozee.

This thread will get ugly.

24. scottjr

scottjr Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Smith could leave Gold Coast to go back to Melbourne.

No top end pick wants to go to Gold Coast it's not directed at us it's a shot at Gold Coast.

25. Nater

Nater All Australian

Port Adelaide
    I wouldn't be selling 10 at this stage. It looks like Jones and Clark are going to bolt into the top 10 meaning that a roezee, Caldwell or ben Smith could still be there at 10

mic59 and yepits2020 like this.