Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide board think the "VFL" will give us the PP because, wait for it, it will * THEM over.

There's a few voices of reason over there...."I don't think the AFL have done anything to help North, if it were Ess, Collingwood, Carlton then id be worried"

Personally, I hope we go forward with cap in hand, the salt that rains down would be glorious.

Almost every other club has milked the system. We paid a hefty price for McDonald, and fair value for TT.

We had slim pickings due to expansion.

Dees got PP'S, viney cheap, frawley pick 3 compo, blues, the list is too long, qld clubs did well, Hawks, pies netted there A graders, Richmond have had their fare share.Dogs had 2 extra players on the field in a GF of all games....

Im not getting my hopes up, but we'd me mad not to push for it.

Tie Roos' pay packet to the draft position of the PP and see where it takes us.

The suns received a “rescue” package from the AFL, which included Pick 2 in 2019 (they already had pick 1), then the first pick in the second round, pick 20.

They then also received a mid first round pick in 2020, which was pick 11 and originally the first pick of the second round in 2021, which would be pick 19.

The 2021 pick may have been taken off them though, as it was getting reviewed each year, not 100 percent.

On top of that they were able to pre select any academy players from Darwin or the GC with out any other club having access to them for 3 years + a rookie list of up to 10 players.

This was off the back of winning 7 games over the course of 2 seasons, 18 and 19. So surely in the name of fairness, I think we have lost 22/23 games, if that continues we deserve some form of assistance going on the recent history/criteria of clubs receiving draft assistance, and if we don’t receive something similar to this, which I’m sure we won’t, I want to know why, and what criteria GC hit that we didn’t. I will be so disappointed in the club if we aren’t making a detailed and extensive application at the end of the year if we stay in a similar position

Last edited:
This was off the back of winning 7 games over the course of 2 seasons, 18, and 19 surely in the name of fairness deserve some form of assistance going on the recent history/criteria of clubs receiving draft assistance
IMO it was off more than that.

It wasn't just those 2 seasons. It was that despite all of the draft concessions they got at start up and that they got the best player in the game in their inaugural year they still had not competed in finals.

The bail out package was because the AFL need their franchises to be making finals. If they don't there is no growth. Which is the sole purpose for the franchises existence.

GC & GWS exist to create a plastic rivalry with the Bears and the Swans respectively.

We will never qualify for what GC got just by virtue of being a Victorian side.

The angle that is most intriguing to me is the idea that those responsible for the broadcast rights are saying they cannot endure us being basically non competitive. At least not from a season long perspective. Which PP doesn't solve in the immediate term.

It is a balancing act for the AFL. They will want us competitive enough to make up numbers but not so competitive that we usurp larger followed sides in the race for the flag. Reckon they loved that we were mid table nowhere because it meant they did not have to deal with the problem that we pose.

We are a small club with a small latent supporter base. It is why whenever there is talk of a team leaving Melbourne it is us, regardless of our fiscal position.

I am sure we will ask at the end of the year. I am nigh on positive that we will get nothing like what the Gold Coast did. If we get assistance similar to what Brisbane did it'll likely bring us back into the pack in the medium term.

If they gave us assistance akin to what Melbourne or Carlton had received then I have little doubt we would use it to push hard for the top end of the table.

Secret formula and all that but for the 2 years leading up to GC getting the package they got they had a winning percentage of 15.9 %. 7 wins from 44 games.

If we happen to go winless this season we would have a winning rate of 7.7 %. 3 Wins from 39 games. If we happen to win 1 game this year is a 10% winning rate, 2 games 12.8%. You could even argue that if it was a full season last year of 22 games we wouldnt have won any of the extra 5 the way we were playing at the end of the year which would drop our win rate to 6.8% over a full 2 year period.

Based on these numbers alone I would expect some sort of assistance in the draft and if I was Brady I would be pushing for pick 1. Doubt we get it but we need to ask the question all the same.

My gut feel is that we'll get something.

Probably not pick 2 though.

We make finals and cause upsets with a list made up with a sparse handful of top picks.

If we had a list that comprised:

2017 4,6,11
2018 8
2020 3,13
2021 1,2,19 - Plus the ability to match on 3 F/S, & a MSD selection of a kid who is potentially rated top 20.

It would represent the most high end draft talent we have ever been able to put together.

I don't like PPs, I don't think any club needs them or deserves them... but if they are handing that s**t out to other clubs then I expect them if we are in the same boat.

I don't like PPs, I don't think any club needs them or deserves them... but if they are handing that sh*t out to other clubs then I expect them if we are in the same boat.

Same, they have set the precedence so we are more than entitled to a hand out and depending on the wins it well and could be after our first pick.
take it while we can

Same, they have set the precedence so we are more than entitled to a hand out and depending on the wins it well and could be after our first pick.
take it while we can

Nah, they wont give pick 2 off the bat, it would likely be end of first round at best. Could even be later.

It is a shame we do not have a free agent we could arrange to get a Daniher-like contract, that would have given us pick 2 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Secret formula and all that but for the 2 years leading up to GC getting the package they got they had a winning percentage of 15.9 %. 7 wins from 44 games.

If we happen to go winless this season we would have a winning rate of 7.7 %. 3 Wins from 39 games. If we happen to win 1 game this year is a 10% winning rate, 2 games 12.8%. You could even argue that if it was a full season last year of 22 games we wouldnt have won any of the extra 5 the way we were playing at the end of the year which would drop our win rate to 6.8% over a full 2 year period.

Based on these numbers alone I would expect some sort of assistance in the draft and if I was Brady I would be pushing for pick 1. Doubt we get it but we need to ask the question all the same.
You've tried to use maths and logic.
Neither of those will come into it - the AFL will go with the "vibe", which is to support the expansion teams, and teams they want to relocate will get stuff all.

The bit that’s annoying me is we should’ve kept the players that won us stuff all games last year because they’d be helping us win games this year.

the annoying thing to me is they don't mention the delistings that the other clubs did. yes we were the highest, but its not like the other clubs didn't cut pretty deep too
my gut feel is that we'll get first pick of the Rottnest Island draftees as PP compensation

Personally I cannot see us getting a PP. The AFL aren't going to do us any favors & you're hearing the media narrative already on justification - "It's their own fault for cutting so deep" etc.

I'm on the fence about it anyway (I'd absolutely take it, if we were given it), however if we don't, GC should absolutely have theirs and the NT zone taken away from them.

The pricks like Andy Maher are saying we shouldn't get anything because our problems are "self inflicted" due to the deep list cuts. To think the idiot is a Carlton supporter is ironic, but in all honesty, if the AFL were even considering to give us pick 2, the noise from other clubs would be louder than when they blocked the Fitzroy merger in 1996. Not a chance that happens. At best, we may get the end of the first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back