Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds good. Get North competitive but not too good.

Maybe we can strive for mediocrity again and get a pat on the head for being "hard to beat" ( but beaten nonetheless) every now and again.

No thanks. Keep Jason and the the other top end picks we get. Prepare better, improve the coaching and give every campaigner the middle finger on the way up.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Get North competitive but not too good.

Maybe we can strive for mediocrity again and get a pat on the head for being "hard to beat" ( but beaten nonetheless) every now and again.

No thanks. Keep Jason and the the other top end picks we get. Prepare better, improve the coaching and give every campaigner the middle finger on the way up.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
LOL. They want to * our rebuild.

It really is something isn’t it?

Let’s analyse

Brad Couch is at the saints, sure he means Matt who can’t get a game and is probably close to being done

Walker 32, what maybe two years? Not to mention he’s a FA

Downgrade a generational player for pick 4

Walking to the rookie draft, forego the nd, psd ? Nice! We didn’t do it for CcJ why now.

Disrespecting north is one thing but the effort put in for their viewers, ok they might be simple but they deserve better

LOL. They want to * our rebuild.

* me. Could you imagine moving the best kid you’ve had at your club for an eternity in exchange for pick 4, a 33yo KPF, and a 28 yo plodder who‘s in and out of the team. And then trading other picks for God knows what? All in the name of maybe reducing our losing margins by a goal or 2. And that’s just a maybe.

I think I’ll keep the elite talent and bring more in by any means bestowed upon us if it’s all the same.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL get creative with their assistance.

Pick 2 was a perfect solution for the Gold Coast, as their issue was young player retention and giving them both Rowell and Anderson was an answer to that. As was the controversial NT zone.

It’s not as neat of a solution for us. We would likely use that pick on a KPP player who would be years away from helping us.

The entire football world has correctly identified that our problem is senior experience, and no amount of draft picks would fix that.

The mid-season draft has also greatly reduced the value of priority access to mature talent. We had the opportunity to take one of those players a few weeks back, but passed due to us not finding anybody worthy of a list spot.

Therefore I think one solution could be a draft asset that we’re forced to trade. Whether this is stated or is a handshake deal is another thing, but I think that result would satisfy both parties.

Pick 2 was a perfect solution for the Gold Coast, as their issue was young player retention and giving them both Rowell and Anderson was an answer to that. As was the controversial NT zone.

It’s not as neat of a solution for us. We would likely use that pick on a KPP player who would be years away from helping us.

The entire football world has correctly identified that our problem is senior experience, and no amount of draft picks would fix that.

The mid-season draft has also greatly reduced the value of priority access to mature talent. We had the opportunity to take one of those players a few weeks back, but passed due to us not finding anybody worthy of a list spot.

Therefore I think one solution could be a draft asset that we’re forced to trade. Whether this is stated or is a handshake deal is another thing, but I think that result would satisfy both parties.
Pick 11 and 19 and have to trade one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Classified just presented the dumbest trade in history.

JHF for Pick 4, Walker and M. Crouch.

That is just hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is even worse than what Adelaide and Richmond offered last year... I assume they were both going to take JHF.

I agree it does seem one of our main on field issues is senior experience and it would make sense to try and find a way for any assistance to address that directly.

But if the assistance comes with conditions like that, how does it actually work in reality? If it is known we have to trade a particular pick, we lose all bargaining power, not to mention we'd also have to find a player who agreed to come to us that was in the ballpark of the pick's value. I could see that very quickly ending up similar to the Polec/Pick 14/TT situation from 2018, we need to move the pick, end up taking unders, another team ends up with overs for a middle of the road player and ultimately it will end up with another team getting just as much (if not more) benefit from our assistance.

The solution for the last quarter of a century to under performing teams has primarily been draft assistance. For the first time in that time, we are in desperate need for that assistance.

I find it very frustrating (but in no way surprising), having been shunted down the draft board again and again as other teams got extra picks, when we need it, suddenly there's apparent conditions around self inflicted damage, picks with enforced trade conditions etc etc.

And all of a sudden it is far more important to placate the other teams who happily took the assistance when it was coming to them, but now because they don't want us to have it, that is a concern that needs genuine consideration. I don't remember too much hand wringing in the general media last year when our second round pick was pushed back a spot as GC, who had finished above us on the ladder, took (well, traded) the last of their cavalcade of assistance picks ahead of us, yet now the potential 'uproar' amongst other clubs is apparently a valid reason to dilute or restrict what is given.

It really is something isn’t it?

Let’s analyse

Brad Couch is at the saints, sure he means Matt who can’t get a game and is probably close to being done

Walker 32, what maybe two years? Not to mention he’s a FA

Downgrade a generational player for pick 4

Walking to the rookie draft, forego the nd, psd ? Nice! We didn’t do it for CcJ why now.

Disrespecting north is one thing but the effort put in for their viewers, ok they might be simple but they deserve better
Not to mention GWS actually holds pick 4 at the moment - the Crows currently have pick 6.

So, in summary, Footy Classified proposed Adelaide trade a GWS pick, a free agent and a St Kilda player to North for JHF.

Geniuses.

So 4, (likely 5),(likely 18). Would you have taken it?

If he wasn't keen in terms of coming/staying here, it would have been decent value. We had to give back a future second so it would have nullified the melbourne pick, somewhat. Still, it would have been 4+5 for 1, which is good value as long as you are confident in the quality of the top 5 players in both pools.

The issue is there would have been a lot of unknowns in terms of where Adelaide and Melbourne finish up, it could have been a mediocre outcome if say Crows bolted up the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back