Prediction DRAFT POLL_PICK #5_FINAL

Who do you want @ our Pick #5?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that makes all of Quayle , Anderson , Twomey and ericpascoe in the SPS camp .
They could all be wrong , but ...
Pick 5 wearing the number 5 ?
There is always some late mail though, if she is still predicting SPS to us when she releases her phantom draft tonight then I think it is in the bag.

It will probably be pick 6 after we bid on Setterfield.

Controversial but true: If SPS was white he'd be number one. How many white fellas don't make it, yet black fellas are still labeled as "walk about" risks. I live and work with black fellas so i know where I'm coming from. The risk and go home factor for aboriginals is an anachronistic concern. SPS is rare daimond stuff. Let's all get around him.

I'm calliing this bs. The facts are against you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not so naive as to think there isn't a degree of racism involved in employment practices generally and/or in the AFL.

But how about "the facts"?

Daniel Wells was tipped to go at pick 2 by us. We were robbed and he still went at 2 to Norf. Was that racist? I don't think so. Most would argue Goddard at pick 1 merited that selection.

More recently Nic Nat went at pick 2. Maybe you think Melbourne were racist in picking Watts. Well, maybe. I certainly remember Wayne Hughes saying before the draft if NN had been available in the Kreuzer draft he would have taken him at pick 1 because he would turn turnstiles. But that means some in the industry were able to overcome the racism. And maybe an alternative explanation was Melbourne have not been drafting genii.

Then we picked Yaz at pick 5. I was opposed to the pick. I resent the suggestion it was on racist grounds. I thought he was not a proven mid and we would be better off with Ziebel or Sidewipe. I accept Yaz subsequently justified pick 5 (before his illness) but that does not make me racist for preferring those other players (who I think have also justified pick 5).

More recently we have acquired Pickett. I am delighted with the pick up and would be very happy to have SPS partner him in our side. But I do prefer Brodie (only Brodie, and by such little difference I do not really care which we get). I resent the suggestion this preference is based on the colour of skin.

If you want to argue the drafting of indigenous players is racist I think you need to show a consistent selection of them much lower than their subsequent careers demonstrate. Otherwise bs is bs and I do not know why you (like Trump) bother.

I'm calliing this bs. The facts are against you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not so naive as to think there isn't a degree of racism involved in employment practices generally and/or in the AFL.

But how about "the facts"?

Daniel Wells was tipped to go at pick 2 by us. We were robbed and he still went at 2 to Norf. Was that racist? I don't think so. Most would argue Goddard at pick 1 merited that selection.

More recently Nic Nat went at pick 2. Maybe you think Melbourne were racist in picking Watts. Well, maybe. I certainly remember Wayne Hughes saying before the draft if NN had been available in the Kreuzer draft he would have taken him at pick 1 because he would turn turnstiles. But that means some in the industry were able to overcome the racism. And maybe an alternative explanation was Melbourne have not been drafting genii.

Then we picked Yaz at pick 5. I was opposed to the pick. I resent the suggestion it was on racist grounds. I thought he was not a proven mid and we would be better off with Ziebel or Sidewipe. I accept Yaz subsequently justified pick 5 (before his illness) but that does not make me racist for preferring those other players (who I think have also justified pick 5).

More recently we have acquired Pickett. I am delighted with the pick up and would be very happy to have SPS partner him in our side. But I do prefer Brodie (only Brodie, and by such little difference I do not really care which we get). I resent the suggestion this preference is based on the colour of skin.

If you want to argue the drafting of indigenous players is racist I think you need to show a consistent selection of them much lower than their subsequent careers demonstrate. Otherwise bs is bs and I do not know why you (like Trump) bother.

Out of the blocks. Ok. Interesting response. I wasn't suggesting institutional racism in the afl across all clubs and stakeholders, which your response seems to suppose. Simply that SPS is well under valued due to being a remote aboriginal. And an observation, let's face it, of a prevailing views in football circles that black fellas go walk about. The vehement responses to any hint of accusation of racism in this field are indeed instructive.

Matt Balmer thinks Scrimshaw still in the picture for pick 5, basically he thinks it is between he and SPS. This along with ms3 post makes think if we don't get SPS then it will be Scrimshaw.
Extremely happy with this development. Assuming no one slides from the consensus top 3-4, these are the guys we should be focusing on.

Appreciate you sharing the info Kruzering, its exactly these type of constructive comments we need around here.
Pickett and SPS are both super talented and may just be able to provide that sparkle we've so longed.
Agree that CFC have taken a positive step forward in player welfare and integration, Andy is a great choice, a champion Bagger and respected by all.

Sent an email to the club over six years ago now suggesting they look at least at a part-time role for an indigenous integration officer and also allocate resources to the mental health well-being of players. No answer! Anyway, good to see things improving in that area now! I'm sure 1AW will do a great job!

Out of the blocks. Ok. Interesting response. I wasn't suggesting institutional racism in the afl across all clubs and stakeholders, which your response seems to suppose. Simply that SPS is well under valued due to being a remote aboriginal. And an observation, let's face it, of a prevailing views in football circles that black fellas go walk about. The vehement responses to any hint of accusation of racism in this field are indeed instructive.
SPS was the early tip as No1 pick but is rated where he is because he had injuries and wasn't amazing in the games he played.

Brodie was everyones number 1 pick in July and struggled with injuries in the back half of the season and now might not be top 10.

SPS hasn't played well enough this year to warrant the no1 pick. Race is not a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Picketts mum is a lawyer and his dad in an aboriginal advocate, plus both have moved interstate to support him. Sound like great indigenous role models.

That plus Walker in a full time indigenous support role should see us in the best position to give someone like SPS the best chance of succeeding.

Would be huge for our club if Pickett and SPS became indigenous leaders like Eddie, and would open the door for a lot more success stories for us.

Eddie wasnt a leader at first... He took time.

Sent an email to the club over six years ago now suggesting they look at least at a part-time role for an indigenous integration officer and also allocate resources to the mental health well-being of players. No answer! Anyway, good to see things improving in that area now! I'm sure 1AW will do a great job!

To be fair their inbox would have been pretty full from me sending them personal highlight clips.

What I like about SPS is his desire to make his community proud and to honour the sacrifices which his parents made to help him achieve this dream of his.

Taranto also wants to do the same thing for his tribe................at St. Kevins Toorak and Sandringham Dragons.

Even Mercedes drivers need a leg-up every now and then !!

Eddie wasnt a leader at first... He took time.

And no one is expecting Pickett or possibly SPS to be. I was just stating it would be huge if they could become leaders like Eddie did and with the support of Walker we could hopefully create an environment where more indigenous players succeed, not just the really special ones.

And no one is expecting Pickett or possibly SPS to be. I was just stating it would be huge if they could become leaders like Eddie did and with the support of Walker we could hopefully create an environment where more indigenous players succeed, not just the really special ones.

Well if Eddie carried on like he did 7-10 years ago he could well have been delisted under the current regime.

Probably didnt help we had Fev being silly too.

Callum Twomey

Pick 6 – Carlton – Sam Petrevski-Seton
Pick 27 – Carlton – Willem Drew

Brett Anderson

Pick 27 – Carlton – Willem Drew

Sam Landsberger

Pick 27 – Carlton – Shai Bolton

Emma Quayle

Pick 27 – Carlton – Jordan Ridley