Prediction Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure they would all prefer to stay at home. Specifically in relation to Bailey Smith Cal Twomey has alluded to it a number of times and the Herald Sun today stated it was ‘Winx’ like odds that Smith will stay in Victoria.
Really is an inditement on the competition that a top 8 player who would be great fits for Suns or Port might be looked over because he REPORTEDLY has issues moving interstate.

With the way everyone is talking down the King Brothers someone may be able to rookie them ;)

Really is an inditement on the competition that a top 8 player who would be great fits for Suns or Port might be looked over because he REPORTEDLY has issues moving interstate.

With the way everyone is talking down the King Brothers someone may be able to rookie them ;)

He said in interviews if you pick me I’m gone in 2 years.

On the one hand he was honest but it makes a mockery of the system. Big baby.

Apparently the GWS offer wasn’t good enough and rejected by the Bulldogs. They may come back but GWS clearly want to get ahead of the Crows for a specific player.

Thats interesting. I have 9 players that I would be extraordinarily happy with. It doesn't really bother me if its GWS or WB who take the pick before us.

I suppose the other way to read into it is that none of the other clubs are willing to budge. Saints arent interested in pick 9, and Crows/Port/GC just arent interested. I can't see a deal that WB would do though considering a bid for West could come in as early as the mid teens.

Certainly a worrying sign for any club, but a lot can change in two years (depending on the club of course)

Wines was planning on leaving the minute his name was called out and will now be out next captain.

A club like port with great retention and a strong culture probably backs them selfs in to keep him where as would be nore worrying for a club like the suns who are losing a heap of players and sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

What do people expect him to say though? I am sure the clubs want to know if a kid is going to sign an early extension like most kids do these days. If you ask the kid right now, his answer may well be no. But once he gets into the system and gets around the players and the club, he probably has a different outlook in 12 months time than he does now.

All depends where the kid is from:

If hes from Victoria...interstate clubs will need to think carefully about drafting player X with his close family connections.

However if player X is from SA WA etc....look, no kid likes to leave his home state, but he'll adjust and at the end of the day what's most important is getting on a list and having a career. He'll be fine.

Thats interesting. I have 9 players that I would be extraordinarily happy with. It doesn't really bother me if its GWS or WB who take the pick before us.

I suppose the other way to read into it is that none of the other clubs are willing to budge. Saints arent interested in pick 9, and Crows/Port/GC just arent interested. I can't see a deal that WB would do though considering a bid for West could come in as early as the mid teens.

I think we’re both on Chayce Jones in a big way. Unless there is a curve ball we are vying to get him.

I don't understand how these kids can say they will leave at earliest opportunity before they've even tried living away from home.
Like the Wines example they might find they love it.
I can understand that people wouldn't be thrilled about coming to the GC after our recent history.. but to deny the SA / WA / NSW clubs, why?

Are these top guys instructed by their management to say that from the beginning with the foresight of becoming media stars in 15 years after their stellar career? You sure as hell don't hear the guys lower in the draft saying it.

Surely they are not just saying it because they don't want to leave mum and dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how these kids can say they will leave at earliest opportunity before they've even tried living away from home.
Like the Wines example they might find they love it.
I can understand that people wouldn't be thrilled about coming to the GC after our recent history.. but to deny the SA / WA / NSW clubs, why?

Are these top guys instructed by their management to say that from the beginning with the foresight of becoming media stars in 15 years after their stellar career? You sure as hell don't hear the guys lower in the draft saying it.

Surely they are not just saying it because they don't want to leave mum and dad.

Just isn’t as publicised when it’s the guys lower in the draft.

Think in most cases it’s just young guys who have never lived away from home and are nervous about leaving family and friends.

What do people expect him to say though? I am sure the clubs want to know if a kid is going to sign an early extension like most kids do these days. If you ask the kid right now, his answer may well be no. But once he gets into the system and gets around the players and the club, he probably has a different outlook in 12 months time than he does now.
He can do what he likes in 2 years but warning teams off is draft tampering and is becoming more prevalent, someone should be shut out of the draft for a year to stamp it out.

He can do what he likes in 2 years but warning teams off is draft tampering and is becoming more prevalent, someone should be shut out of the draft for a year to stamp it out.

Either that or they are forced into a four year contract as punishment.

They'd be straight off to the Federal Court to have it declared a restraint of trade. Could put the whole draft in jeopardy.

Which is probably why the AFL doesn't crack down on it as much as they could.

Of course. I strongly disapprove of draft tampering. If he goes into the meeting and says I will be out of here in 2 years out of the blue then it is draft tampering. But if he answers a question about if he is going to sign an extension then he has every right to answer it honestly. With clubs getting their top end draft picks to sign extensions very early in their first year I would imagine its a question that some clubs would be asking now. The catch 22 is that if you ask it in the interview you might get a no. But if you wait until they settle in and bond with their team mates and the club they probably get a yes.

It seems from the commentary that the top order is settling in. Carlton take Walsh, GC Take Luko and Rankine at 2 & 3 (Good for the crows down the track I would think;)). M King at 4 to St Kilda (despite the very late in the piece tweets about Rozee that I suspect are to try and lure port or crows into a bid war for pick 4). Rozee at 5 to Port. Pick 6....????. Smith to Dogs at pick 7. So it seems like pick 6 may be the variable in the top 7

The AFL just have to hurry up and make their initial contracts three years. It'll also help in changing the mindset of these kids

There'd need to be serious cash incentive for the AFLPA to even agree to this.
Careful what you wish for because you may want to secure them for longer term but it could be more costly come salary cap time.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back