Du Plessis charged with ball tampering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree.

That practice has been going on for years.

The only way to stop any ball tampering is to have a total ban on polishing/cleaning/rubbing the ball.
Was rife when I played district cricket. It just made hitting the ball harder more satisfying.

I'm really not sure what the shock is here

Dude was caught on camera tampering with the ball

As a result, charged with ball tampering

What am I missing

Agree. Clear tampering. Didn't matter to the result as we are a fundamentally inept s**t house test side but cheating is cheating. Hopefully gets rubbed out so doesn't do it again.

What's so special about the lollies? Is there any evidence that it does much, if anything?

When I played a long time ago, I polished training balls with anything I could think of -- shoes polish, vasoline, whatever; I even varnished some -- and I never noticed any difference.

Is there more of a difference when someone's bowling much faster?

Even if the shine lasts longer, nothing stops the outer layers of the ball softening, so the bounce and seaming still drops off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's so special about the lollies? Is there any evidence that it does much, if anything?

When I played a long time ago, I polished training balls with anything I could think of -- shoes polish, vasoline, whatever; I even varnished some -- and I never noticed any difference.

Even if the shine lasts longer, nothing stops the outer layers of the ball softening, so the bounce and seaming still drops off.

tried the old Deep Heat at training one night got the ball hooping so much we couldnt control it !

The problem for Du Plessis is that I think he has a history of doing this or something similar.

wasn't he the one that got done rubbing the ball on the zip of his pockets?

wasn't he the one that got done rubbing the ball on the zip of his pockets?

Yes. Not sure if it was on his zip or near it.

But ffs imo they should just ban it all together. Nothing stopping a bowler of rubbing creams/lollies/etc etc onto their pants off field and then rubbing the ball against it when they are on the field.. I am very confident its done at International level given its rampant at amateur/district level.

Personally I dont think Faf did anything wrong in the spirit of the game. His problem was that he had a visible lollie/mint, lots of players do this s**t. Doesnt make it right though.

Do we use lollies? We certainly do suck, that much I know

Yes. Not sure if it was on his zip or near it.

But ffs imo they should just ban it all together. Nothing stopping a bowler of rubbing creams/lollies/etc etc onto their pants off field and then rubbing the ball against it when they are on the field.. I am very confident its done at International level given its rampant at amateur/district level.

Personally I dont think Faf did anything wrong in the spirit of the game. His problem was that he had a visible lollie/mint, lots of players do this s**t. Doesnt make it right though.

So ..... he did nothing wrong ...... lots of people do it ...... but it doesn't make it right? What are you actually saying?

So ..... he did nothing wrong ...... lots of people do it ...... but it doesn't make it right? What are you actually saying?

Dont have half arsed laws in place, where it is common knowledge that players rub all sorts of chemicals onto the clothing off field so to impart more shine on the ball when they go to polish it on field.

Using a tool to rough up the ball is blatant obvious cheating. However, using mints/sunscreen etc this occurs by just about all players on a field. I would prefer banning players altogether from rubbing the ball at all. Should only be the umpire imo.

Steyn is a superstar and he is right that Australia were well beaten in all areas but a Sth African cricketer talking about being mentally stronger than opposition is absolute nonsense. They've been choking it up in the big moments for years and even recently have been humbled and dictated to by very ordinary Australian sides.

Also whether winning or losing ball tampering is ball tampering. Pretty simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back