Dullest match you've ever watched

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't dull but it was the worst game I've attended skill wise. 2012 WCE vs Hawks, Eagles won 5.21 to 5.16.

Half time was 0.12 to 2.7, at one stage in the last quarter it was 4.20 to 3.15, before the teams realised how to kick a goal or two, and the Hawks decided they'd almost snatch a win. Horrendous skills and IIRC Eric Mackenzie had something ridiculous like 27 disposals.

Pretty sure it rained all through the game and the ball was a heavy rain sodden piece of soap. Hard to have a watchable game in those conditions.

Hawthorn vs Port - Round 16, 2004.

Port 15.15 won to Hawthorn 7.11. No contest, Port hardly got out of 1st gear, Hawthorn were terrible, bog average weather and a massive crowd of 11,000 at the MCG.

I actually rushed to get to the game after playing reserves footy that day. I fully earned my 2008 Grand Final ticket by turning up to that game.

Two of the worst St Kilda games I’ve witnessed came in consecutive weeks:

R5, 2010- Attended this match at Footy Park. Lost to Port 6.8 to 7.12 in perfect conditions. Couldn’t wait to leave.
R6, 2010- Knocked off the Dogs on a Friday night with a late ‘flurry’ of goals. 7.7 v 6.10 under the roof. Should have been a thrill seeing us pinch it, but it was hard to get excited.

Another from that year
R22, 2010- Another game at footy park. A ‘dead rubber’ for the Saints and they played accordingly, losing to Adelaide 5.7 to 9.11. So, so dull.

Most St Kilda games at the Adelaide Oval have been one-sided, un-inspiring affairs.

Although it's a while ago now, my lasting memories of the 1999 GF was that it was very dull.

I went as a neutral to North Melbourne vs Saints last year at Etihad around June for a North Melbourne supporting mate's birthday. Was truly atrocious quality and boring as hell with not great seats for viewing. Saints won but all I can remember was some bad kicking and how s**t it was.

1969 First Semi Final...so much expectation and then wacked...turned me into a Tiges fan tho for the next few years. What a great Side Richmond were in this era. But it turned into one of the dullest days of my life.

Fremantle v Port this year. It was on the same day as the World Cup Final, and in both cases, it was 2 goals to 1 at half time. If you don't like your mother in law, a DVD of that game would be the perfect present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many Dees game to choose from...

One that has always stuck in my memory bank was Melbourne v Adelaide in 2009. Sunday twilight 4:40 game, terrible conditions, Crows ended up winning 51 to 34. Melbourne were goalless for the first half but still somehow in the match.

Remember that 2001/2002 semi though? Awesome game!!

Probably not the worst game but I remember a few years back I was pumped for the season to start.
First game was Collingwood vs Freo but it was a complete fizzer, Pies weren't in it from the beginning. Deflating way to start the season.

Later that year I went overseas and was telling this english bloke how good this Australian rules sh!t is and he told me how he went to a game, ofc it was the Pies vs Freo game... I tried to explain how it was an outlier... fk mi pls

In a bizarre sort of way I kind of enjoy watching those dull and dreary games that seem to last for hours upon hours. I enjoy the absurdity and complete shitness of it all. I kind of tell myself whilst watching that surely the game will get better, they'll fire up soon, the goals will come etc etc but 'enjoy' how it just gets worse and worse.

Sometimes you get a match that is so bad its good, such as a 2016 game at the MCG between Melbourne and the Gold Coast at the MCG in 2016, but now so many games played by full time professional players who are paid an extraordinary amount of money are flat out dull and uninteresting that it isn't funny. In fact its downright insulting, especially given how much it costs to go to a game or to watch the games on pay TV.

For example if there was a match in 1994 where the final scores were 16.13-109 to 13.16-94, the scoring patterns wouldn't have rated a mention. Nowadays, a 16.13-109 to 13.16-94 game would probably draw comment when reported in the media that it was a high scoring match.

Last years qualifying final between Adelaide and GWS set the tone for a horrible finals series quality wise. I rushed home from training to be able to settle in and watch the first final of the season, only to be ready to flick the channel by half time. Didn't. Wish I had.

I was a kid and we won so I loved the day, but back in 2000 I attended a Hawthorn/Port game at the MCG late in the season. We won by 20 odd points and I had a ball, but apparently the game was so poor that Rex Hunt in his votes after the game gave 3 to Derek Murray who had 4 disposals.

The Sydney v Geelong semi at the SCG in 2005 is now remembered for the heroics of Davis in the dying minutes but up to time on in the last it was one of the most boring games of footy I have ever seen. Sydney at the SCG under Paul Roos was a hard watch indeed.

Last years qualifying final between Adelaide and GWS set the tone for a horrible finals series quality wise. I rushed home from training to be able to settle in and watch the first final of the season, only to be ready to flick the channel by half time. Didn't. Wish I had.

I was a kid and we won so I loved the day, but back in 2000 I attended a Hawthorn/Port game at the MCG late in the season. We won by 20 odd points and I had a ball, but apparently the game was so poor that Rex Hunt in his votes after the game gave 3 to Derek Murray who had 4 disposals.

Even worse, Dereck Murray’s only previous experience on the MCG was as wicketkeeper for the West Indies back in the 70s!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back