Dusty v Gary Ablett Junior

Better Player

• Dusty

• Gary Ablett Junior

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty’s 3rd goal in the GF sums him up as a player (the tumbling top spinning kick that bounced through).

Freakish skill, sized up the options and made the best decision in a split second, seized the moment like few (no one else?) can.

But, it all happened because as soon as the centre bounce occurs Dusty cheats by drifting to high half forward, backing his teammates to cover him defensively and to win the footy themselves and get it forward. That’s how he got the space to win and kick that ball. Not sure how that would work if he played for North Melbourne

It's not cheating if that's your role in the team

It's not cheating if that's your role in the team
You're right. It's just that he is allowed to play to his devastating best best because he is in a super team who can cover him drifting forward whereas Ablett wasn't gifted that opportunity at his peak. That is what makes the comparison between the two so hard.

Fyfe is another one who could be in the same bracket as the Ablett & Martin but has had his peak in a pretty poor team so he hasn't had the luxury of playing the same way. I remember years back (maybe where he won his first brownlow) where he was devastating in the middle and lead the league in contested marks. Being the best midfielder in a year and leading the league in a stat that is pretty much reserved for KPF's and ruckmen is super impressive

Dusty’s 3rd goal in the GF sums him up as a player (the tumbling top spinning kick that bounced through).

Freakish skill, sized up the options and made the best decision in a split second, seized the moment like few (no one else?) can.

But, it all happened because as soon as the centre bounce occurs Dusty cheats by drifting to high half forward, backing his teammates to cover him defensively and to win the footy themselves and get it forward. That’s how he got the space to win and kick that ball. Not sure how that would work if he played for North Melbourne
Great point. Awesome player no matter what, but huge credit to his teammates and coaching staff for allowing him to become a legend of the game. Others haven't been so fortunate.

If you were picking the best dozen seasons out of Dusty and GAJ you’d have Dusty 2017 and 11 from Ablett.

Dusty is a ripper big game player (Richmond have two flags without him though and 50/50 in the other) but Ablett was way more consistently brilliant across a much larger time span. 5 Leigh Matthews Trophies and lost another couple because of injury and was the almost undisputed best player in the game for almost a decade. Would you say Dusty is the best player in the game at any point outside of 2017, and even then Danger was right there with him.

Just as an aside, does anyone else rate GAJ as arguably more valuable a player to his team's success than Carey?

I watched most games of footy every weekend back when Carey was the king, and I reckon GAJ goes close to being more of an MVP.

I think after last night Dusty can at least enter the convo now and has a couple more years to add to his resume.

As of now who is the better player?

Dusty:
3 x Premiership player
3 x Norm Smith
1 x Brownlow
1 x Leigh Matthew Trophy
1 x AFLCA Player of the Year
4 x All Australian
2 x Club Best and Fairest
3 x Gary Ayres Medal (introduced 2016)

Averages:
25 Disposals
10 Contested Possessions
4 Marks
3 Tackles
1.1 Goals
4.8 Inside 50’s
1.4 Rebound 50’s
4.1 Clearances

Gary Ablett Junior:
2 x Premiership Player
2 x Brownlow
5 x Leigh Matthews Trophy
3 x AFLCA Player of the Year
8 x All Australian (1 x Captain)
6 x Club Best and Fairest
3 x Club Leading Goal Kicker

Averages:
25 Disposals
11 Contested Possessions
3 Marks
4 Tackles
1.3 Goals
4.5 Inside 50’s
1.6 Rebound 50’s
4.3 Clearances

Can you alter Gary's list so that it shows his awards from Geelong and Gold Coast as it is currently flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty by the length of the Flemington straight.

Dusty has won brownlows, Norm Smiths and three premierships.

He's also had the single greatest season in the AFL era (2017), not even Ablett junior could manage that.
LUL

Abletts 2014 season made me ponder if he never got injured would Suns of been able to pull off something, think prior to injury they were in the top 4 and had 7-2 at R11.

They finished with like 8-9 wins.

He averaged 32 disposals 16.9 kicks 15.1 handballs
1.6 goals per game 6.1 tackles per game and 1.3 goal assists per game
5.1 inside 50s and 7.9 clearances per game.

1.5 brownlow votes per game.

Was in the top 3 in the Brownlow having missed as many games as he did and only playing 15/16.

Actually, i think dusty has the better dad. He may be a lot of things but i bet he wouldn't dose up a young girl full of drugs and then walk away and let her die alone in a seedy hotel room

Actually, i think dusty has the better dad. He may be a lot of things but i bet he wouldn't dose up a young girl full of drugs and then walk away and let her die alone in a seedy hotel room
Yeah those bikies are the kings of morality

The Norm Smith argument is a compelling one, but Ablett spent much of his peak in a basket case side. If Ablett was able to play Dusty's role in a gun team over those years, he would have been legitimately unstoppable. He already was unstoppable. I think the statistical comparison will be far more valid after Dusty has retired.

Here's a statistical comparison of Dusty's 2017 season compared to Ablett's season at the same age. Very, very even. Any comparisons of other seasons at their peak are more favourable to Ablett though. Granted, Martin had the better start to his career, so if he has a better end to his career than Ablett, it becomes a far more interesting question.

1631165937972.png

The Norm Smith argument is a compelling one, but Ablett spent much of his peak in a basket case side. If Ablett was able to play Dusty's role in a gun team over those years, he would have been legitimately unstoppable. He already was unstoppable. I think the statistical comparison will be far more valid after Dusty has retired.

Here's a statistical comparison of Dusty's 2017 season compared to Ablett's season at the same age. Very, very even. Any comparisons of other seasons at their peak are more favourable to Ablett though. Granted, Martin had the better start to his career, so if he has a better end to his career than Ablett, it becomes a far more interesting question.

View attachment 1230513
Dusty's 2017 season barely beats him in his Geelong days when he was the best, when he was literally jesus at gold coast Dusty aint close.

Back