Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be right. Lose 2 quality mids, keep the soft as butter kid that probably won't get to 50 AFL games. Another successful Swans trade period!
I mean on the upside - the club concentrates on winning games, not winning trade periods......

Yes his selection was horrific in retrospect, but still worth a place on an AFL list and his age profile suits us, so I am happy to back the club in for this one.

I mean on the upside - the club concentrates on winning games, not winning trade periods......

Yes his selection was horrific in retrospect, but still worth a place on an AFL list and his age profile suits us, so I am happy to back the club in for this one.
Yep fair point, though I don't think you need to go the "retrospect" route to call this decision "horrific" - the obvious selections, Young and Serong, both look set for fine AFL careers. I think if he could get a good run at a club that could live with his limitations there is still a chance he could turn things around - I just don't personally think the Swans is that club.

It behoves Adelaide to take up the over-hyped kids that have ended up north. No way Hately or Stephens would have gone first round if it wasn't for the dodgy SA spruikers. Also, please help GC after the Rankin / Luko swindle.

Me hopes, that in JHF there is finally an SA kid that can actually play.*

* Apologies to Tom Powell and that guy at Port. You go okay!

Last edited:
It behoves Adelaide to take up the over-hyped kids that have ended up north. No way Hately or Stephens would have gone first round if it wasn't for the dodgy SA spruikers. Also, please help GC after the Rankin / Luko swindle.

Me hopes, that in JHF there is finally an SA kid that can actually play.
I remember liking Hately and wanted him at the Chace Jones pick, but Chace is looking good now. I liked Hately in the SANFL, simply wins clrearance after clearance. Notetedy I wanted Stephens too and was upset when Adelaide initially traded down for #6.

But the Giants first rounder we got landed Luke Pedlar and that kid. From Glenelg! Is a real imo special talent!

But we need good young midfielders so I'll take Stephens simply because why not! Who knows with Hately and Stephens in a few years? They may just be joining Milera, McHenry and Pedlar in the middle at some point!

Knowing that Schoenberg, Keays and Scholl along with Adelaide's top midfielder with #6 this year even if Hates or Steph don't make the cut. Looking good given the spine is already rebuild

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like Dodoro is balls deep into Stephens. If our future 2nd doesn't entice you maybe a Dylan Clarke or Marty Gleeson could fit in nicely at the Swans.

I've said as much on the Swans board, but I think it's pretty dumb to value Stephens based on what he's shown at AFL-level so far. At the start of this year, he was still 10kgs off being big enough to play inside midfield. I'm not sure how big he is now, but he was clearly picked as a long-term prospect, rather than someone that should have been playing football early in their career.

I don't think our list managers are going to view his contributions at AFL-level so far as particularly relevant to how highly they value him.

7 games this year and below average in everything, plus a few really bad dripping his head moments.

I think he will make it but we can’t can’t be asking for much trade wise
We picked him at pick 5. We won't suddenly accept something massively below that because he hasn't had an immediate impact as an undersized midfielder. I think we will ask for more than circling clubs will be willing to give, and then it will be up to Stephens to decide if he is willing to commit.

Imagine if North traded LDU for an early second rounder a couple of seasons ago.

Is he out of contract? I rather Collingwood walk him to PSD. We dont have any draft capital to give up for him. And we shouldn't be trading out future picks after the debacle of last year's trade and draft period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he out of contract? I rather Collingwood walk him to PSD. We dont have any draft capital to give up for him. And we shouldn't be trading out future picks after the debacle of last year's trade and draft period.

I doubt he will do the dirty on The Swans by going into the PSD and as you say, the Pies have no capital.

Believe he will end up at the Crows for something like their second round pick, which would seen abour Market value based on what Stephens has shown at AFL level.

I doubt he will do the dirty on The Swans by going into the PSD and as you say, the Pies have no capital.

Believe he will end up at the Crows for something like their second round pick, which would seen abour Market value based on what Stephens has shown at AFL level.
I've mentioned as much a few times, but I think what Stephens has shown at AFL level so far is about as relevant as what a young KPP shows at AFL-level in their first few years.

We clearly picked him as a long-term prospect. He doesn't have the size to play inside midfield yet, but that's his natural position. I don't think we would take a second round pick for him. I really just can't envision his value having dropped that dramatically in the eyes of our list management team that took him with pick 5 in the first place.

I've mentioned as much a few times, but I think what Stephens has shown at AFL level so far is about as relevant as what a young KPP shows at AFL-level in their first few years.

We clearly picked him as a long-term prospect. He doesn't have the size to play inside midfield yet, but that's his natural position. I don't think we would take a second round pick for him. I really just can't envision his value having dropped that dramatically in the eyes of our list management team that took him with pick 5 in the first place.

Assuming what you said is true (I haven't really watched him all that closely), I don't see how gets to Collingwood, the PSD threat won't work as The Pies are still hamstrung by a tight salary cap so they cannot actually get him to put a huge price on his head, North defintley would gladly snap him as a free hit if he went into the PSD.

Richmond with their Geelong First Rounder Pick could be one to watch, if they think they could get him to excel, especially in the Guts as you say, something could be done there.

Assuming what you said is true (I haven't really watched him all that closely), I don't see how gets to Collingwood, the PSD threat won't work as The Pies are still hamstrung by a tight salary cap so they cannot actually get him to put a huge price on his head, North defintley would gladly snap him as a free hit if he went into the PSD.

Richmond with their Geelong First Rounder Pick could be one to watch, if they think they could get him to excel, especially in the Guts as you say, something could be done there.
Richmond would sort of make sense. They've historically been able to get smaller bodies to have success as midfielders (see Bolton and Edwards).

Going through the top 100 players for centre clearances this year, Simpkin, Schoenberg Bolton, Edwards, and Parfitt are the only ones that are sub-80kgs, I believe.

Realistically what's he worth Swans fans? A future 2nd from the Pies (maybe pick 18-25 in 2022) get it done?

Swans have previously had interest in Brayden Sier (and it looks like he won't live up to his potential with us); Sier and a pick of some sort?

For anyone using his contributions at AFL level to try to judge his value, here's Stephens second season to the similarly undersized Shai Bolton's second season...

1631594169310.png

Is he out of contract? I rather Collingwood walk him to PSD.

*Groan* Here we go with the "let's walk him to the PSD" bullsh!t.

Of course you'd rather get him for free than paying something for him, but that's not how the system works. There's a reason players with trade value hardly ever end up in the PSD.

Jy Simpkin's debut season vs Dylan Stpehhens' debut season (with shorter game time). Again, a similarly undersized young midfielder.

1631595528056.png

Jy Simpkin's debut season vs Dylan Stpehhens' debut season (with shorter game time). Again, a similarly undersized young midfielder.

View attachment 1235590
From my memory though, Jy played as mostly a small forward in his first season, he was pretty physically undeveloped though and played only the 13 games because he did his shoulder trying to bump someone. Not really the best comparison and I’m not sure Stephens projects as the same sort of mid as Simpkin. Stephens is pretty classy though and should be a ripper if he can put on some size!

From my memory though, Jy played as mostly a small forward in his first season, he was pretty physically undeveloped though and played only the 13 games because he did his shoulder trying to bump someone. Not really the best comparison and I’m not sure Stephens projects as the same sort of mid as Simpkin. Stephens is pretty classy though and should be a ripper if he can put on some size!
That's why I think it's a good comparison. Both undersized mids that were played out of position. Doesn't necessarily mean Stephens will become as Simpkin (though I hope he does), but goes to show it's stupid to use his performances at AFL-level so far.

The point is more so that if that was how Simpkin, or Shai Bolton, or plenty of other smaller midfield types had sought trades at that point in their careers, and that was the logic used, they would be worth roughly the same as Stephens, and we all obviously know now that that would have been criminally undervaluing them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back