Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Remove this Banner Ad

The posturing begins.

I mean which part of the dialogue would you like:
Role 1: He is highly valued, good pick, great future 2 x firsts.
Role 2: No Way, hasnt played 1 x 2nd.
Role 1: Fine 1 x first.
Role 2: Fine late first.*
Role 1: Deal.**

*If this deal involves Dodo expect daily media leaks for why the other party is unreasonable and downplaying value whilst paying $$.
**On BF this will reoccur in 30min cycles with "walk him to PSD threats"

***Dodo is always reasonable and if you look back at all the deals he has done they've been fair for both parties. He will get it done for a future second if we are truly interested AND if Stephens nominates the Dons.

****Also, I think you have us confused with Carlton who are the only BF supporters who relentlessly push the "walk him to the PSD" threats.

***Dodo is always reasonable and if you look back at all the deals he has done they've been fair for both parties. He will get it done for a future second if we are truly interested AND if Stephens nominates the Dons.

****Also, I think you have us confused with Carlton who are the only BF supporters who relentlessly push the "walk him to the PSD" threats.
A future second would be close to fair if it was 2019/20 bombers. 2022 bombers it could be like pick 40..... nope.

The posturing begins.

I mean which part of the dialogue would you like:
Role 1: He is highly valued, good pick, great future 2 x firsts.
Role 2: No Way, hasnt played 1 x 2nd.
Role 1: Fine 1 x first.
Role 2: Fine late first.*
Role 1: Deal.**

*If this deal involves Dodo expect daily media leaks for why the other party is unreasonable and downplaying value whilst paying $$.
**On BF this will reoccur in 30min cycles with "walk him to PSD threats"

Agree with this.
It always annoys me how Dodoro communicates through the media while 17 other clubs stay silent and refuse to talk to the media through trade period...

I thought Stephens to be more a Tom Mitchell style player. I think the perception with Shiel is he is paid the most at the club, yet he's pushed out for midfield time, as parish, McGrath are better mids, Langford and stringer are the big bodies, Lordo and Cornes would be of the opinion, you're not getting enough bang for your buck, with his new role and hence the trade speculation. Yes he'll play mid minutes but he's going to play lower mid minutes, trade him while he's got currency and then get cerra and Stephens

Caldwell and late picks for our second round picks last year and this year. I don’t see how we produce 2 seconds this time though.

I think Stephens is thought of as an outside player. I’d expect Shiel in the midfield rotation. All the talk of no room for Shiel seems to come from the assumptions that the entire list stays healthy all year and only 3 players will ever attend a centre bounce. Can thank Lloyd and Cornes for that clickbait.

I thought Stephens to be more a Tom Mitchell style player. I think the perception with Shiel is he is paid the most at the club, yet he's pushed out for midfield time, as parish, McGrath are better mids, Langford and stringer are the big bodies, Lordo and Cornes would be of the opinion, you're not getting enough bang for your buck, with his new role and hence the trade speculation. Yes he'll play mid minutes but he's going to play lower mid minutes, trade him while he's got currency and then get cerra and Stephens
Stephens and T.Mitchell are nothing alike

Got to remember Shiel missed most of the entire year with injury and was always going to take time to get back to his best

He would be in my starting 3 onballers next year in the square next to Stringer and Parish

If we end up getting Stephens it won’t be as an inside mid other than the odd chop out that Walla, Smith, Snelling, Perkins have had at various points this year and last.

Shiel’s wage is irrelevant since we’d still be paying him wherever he played, just with a different player on the list who isn’t as good and only gets paid the difference.

Shiel is still, at very worst, our 3rd best mid.
Obviously can make the case that he's behind Merrett and Parish.
But he's got McGrath covered, in my opinion quite comfortably, as a pure mid.
Stringer is fantastic centre clearance operator, but we leave it basically at that, rather than an all-round mid.

True the player can nominate, where they go. You guys make a offer that satisfy our desired price or he goes to PSD or we cave. At the end of the day, we decide if he gets to you or not.

You guys make a offer and we either accept of refuse. It is not that complex.

$10 on "we cave" being the outcome there.
PSD is quite rare these days.

Hope we steer clear at anything too expensive. Liked him predraft but has been very disappointing. Not that we have a second rounder but for value would much prefer to take a punt on Ned Long or Jacob Van Rooyen in the second round.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we steer clear at anything too expensive. Liked him predraft but has been very disappointing. Not that we have a second rounder but for value would much prefer to take a punt on Ned Long or Jacob Van Rooyen in the second round.

I don't get this take.
He was tiny when drafted and was always going to take time to develop.

Basically makes 0 sense for the Swans to get rid of him... Unless, he has a contract offer elsewhere that we are unwilling to match, ie if another club is offering him 400-500k

You dont think a one pick downgrade in the first round this year and your future second is fair.... that's what I was suggesting
Swapping firsts this year is only a couple of spots with a future second. I'd suggest most of the EFC board would take that. I'm guessing by the Swan supporter replies here that the majority of them wouldn't be happy though.

I don't get this take.
He was tiny when drafted and was always going to take time to develop.

Basically makes 0 sense for the Swans to get rid of him... Unless, he has a contract offer elsewhere that we are unwilling to match, ie if another club is offering him 400-500k

Since when do you need size to perform an outside role? McInerney is under 80kgs and has been showing plenty, Florent only hit 80 this year and has been performing.

Since when do you need size to perform an outside role? McInerney is under 80kgs and has been showing plenty, Florent only hit 80 this year and has been performing.
Stephens plays like an inside mid. The reason he is in and out of the side over the last 2 seasons is because he doesn't have the size to be effective there and struggles to know when to go in for the ball and when to keep his width to be the outlet.

Essentially the swans have been trying to teach him how to play that outside role while he physically develops and can then play more of an inside-out role.

Stephens plays like an inside mid. The reason he is in and out of the side over the last 2 seasons is because he doesn't have the size to be effective there and struggles to know when to go in for the ball and when to keep his width to be the outlet.

Essentially the swans have been trying to teach him how to play that outside role while he physically develops and can then play more of an inside-out role.

From the redlegs games I saw predraft, his inside work never looked that great to me, . It was always his work away from the stoppage that caught the eye, admittedly some of it was spreading from that second possession away from the stoppage, but that's something you can still do coming in from a wing at AFL.

Maybe putting size on has hampered his zip until he gets used to it, not writing him off but I'm sure we'd all have liked to have seen more growth by this stage.

From the redlegs games I saw predraft, his inside work never looked that great to me, . It was always his work away from the stoppage that caught the eye, admittedly some of it was spreading from that second possession away from the stoppage, but that's something you can still do coming in from a wing at AFL.

Maybe putting size on has hampered his zip until he gets used to it, not writing him off but I'm sure we'd all have liked to have seen more growth by this stage.
Yeah i always saw him as more of a wingman myself, This year in the VFL i think the Swans were trying to train him inside though, could be wrong

Yeah i always saw him as more of a wingman myself, This year in the VFL i think the Swans were trying to train him inside though, could be wrong

I remember on draft night they said they saw him as a hybrid midfielder. For mine he could be a Shiel type of inside mid, but I don’t really rate a burst away from stoppage mid if they don’t have that ability to scrap over a hard ball or have versatility and I just don’t see it in him yet.

I remember on draft night they said they saw him as a hybrid midfielder. For mine he could be a Shiel type of inside mid, but I don’t really rate a burst away from stoppage mid if they don’t have that ability to scrap over a hard ball or have versatility and I just don’t see it in him yet.
He's definitley gonna have to put his head down and work hard, Could be another reason for a trade though, he doesn't want to play where the swans are making him. As i've said earlier in the post i know some of his family and they say he wants to play as a wing (SECOND HAND SAUCE TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back