• Melbourne

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Swans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There are multiple factors, like the position of the club he wishes to go to. Money being offered. Length of contract. Top5 Rising Star... I have no reference to that improving trade value but it may. Is there an example of that being a factor.? Jackson won it but thats different to being top 5... and he is a tall as well.
He apparently left the inter club today with a foot concern, so suddenly I am not so bullish on his resigning and value. Hopefully it is nothing.
Does anybody out there no why GWS has an above average injury rate?
Thinking about it more, unless he is injured this year it would be hard to leave after just 2 years. Even 2nd year players get I think 8 weeks leave at end of season, and 3 weeks over Christmas, plus the mid season bye.
That is alot of time to spend back in Melbourne to counteract homesickness.
Makes me think GWS should have just drafted Sheazel, not traded up to get Pick 1.

Last edited:
He apparently left the inter club today with a foot concern, so suddenly I am not so bullish on his resigning and value. Hopefully it is nothing.
Does anybody out there no why GWS has an above average injury rate?
Thinking about it more, unless he is injured this year it would be hard to leave after just 2 years. Even 2nd year players get I think 8 weeks leave at end of season, and 3 weeks over Christmas, plus the mid season bye.
That is alot of time to spend back in Melbourne to counteract homesickness.
Makes me think GWS should have just drafted Sheazel, not traded up to get Pick 1.

Cadman will stay Sheezel would have left.

Its an unfortuate fact of life that unless a player stars and elevates his value...he probably slips. Geelong paid 18 for Bruhn who was drafted with 12. If he is a regular in 2023..then id say its at least a mid first round. Thats still a significant loss from P3.
I think there's a a big difference between falling from 12-18 to 3-10 though

And Bruhn didn't show a whole heap at the top level

Top 5 picks are at the elite end. Unless he really stinks it up I can't see his value dropping too far.

Giants have been able to get decent returns for most of the players they don't want to lose. If he has a good year they will be demanding a top 5 pick or equivalent for him.

I think there's a a big difference between falling from 12-18 to 3-10 though

And Bruhn didn't show a whole heap at the top level

Top 5 picks are at the elite end. Unless he really stinks it up I can't see his value dropping too far.

Giants have been able to get decent returns for most of the players they don't want to lose. If he has a good year they will be demanding a top 5 pick or equivalent for him.
True enough. But I think that type of pick is hard to get. Its rare that players move to clubs at that end of the table... and as a proportion... you are correct. 5 to 8 or 9 would be similar or more to 12 to 18.

Still unless he shows something elite or the potential to be elite..like Jackson did...he will drop in value. The price paid in a draft is always distorted

True enough. But I think that type of pick is hard to get. Its rare that players move to clubs at that end of the table... and as a proportion... you are correct. 5 to 8 or 9 would be similar or more to 12 to 18.

Still unless he shows something elite or the potential to be elite..like Jackson did...he will drop in value. The price paid in a draft is always distorted
That is why I said or equivalent

Not many clubs can get their hand on pick 3, so it might mean 2 first round picks or a first and 2nd

I doubt a pick around 10 by itself would be enough anyway

Does Aaron Naughton want to come to GWS?
If bulldogs win the flag and offer 18 and 2024r1, I would say a big no to. If Finn leaves, it is for St Kilda's or Hawthorn's pick 1.

Would GWS take ports 2023 first?
I could see us offering it if Finn wants a move back to victoria

If Finn leaves, it is for St Kilda's or Hawthorn's pick 1.
I’d think it would be Hawthorn’s future 1st on the table, if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Aaron Naughton want to come to GWS?
If bulldogs win the flag and offer 18 and 2024r1, I would say a big no to. If Finn leaves, it is for St Kilda's or Hawthorn's pick 1.

Lol, what?

Along with your next 2 x F1's and Callahan I presume?

Reid's pre draft value will be similar to what JHF's was, probably even higher given he is Victorian.

At what point do GWS simply stop drafting Vic Metro boys? The amount that have walked out of the club could fill a competitive best 22 and probably contend for finals

At what point do GWS simply stop drafting Vic Metro boys? The amount that have walked out of the club could fill a competitive best 22 and probably contend for finals

It's an issue for all clubs at the moment.

See North and Melbourne this offseason losing top draft picks.

There's blood in the water with managers at the moment and they know it.

"Best available" means something completely different to what it did 5 years ago.

Retention starts with club culture/environment and of course success on the field. Players being happy and genuinely believing success is around the corner makes all difference.

Interstate clubs like GWS and Suns face unique challenges on top of it. Playing in front of half empty stadiums does not help. Suns rarely have home crowds when they play big clubs and as a result atmosphere is average at best and umpires rarely give Suns advantage.

As for Suns retention, it's interesting that despite poor results in all their history basically all players they lost in the past were with Suns 5+ and most 6-8 years. They did not want to go through another re-build, wanted to play finals, success (Lynch, Prestia, May, Martin, ...).

Rankine is essentially the first player leaving after 4 years but I would say money was a key. In the past Scrimshaw left with Suns blessing after 3 years and Caddy after 2 years.

Luko and Anderson extending for 4 years - it never happened before for Suns. Metro kids like Rowell and Anderson re-signed.

Having said all that if Suns don't play finals in next 2 years, some key players could leave again. Play finals and Suns will have 20k+ crowds.

He’s going nowhere. He will be signing in a multi year deal in the coming days.

Him, Tom green, josh Kelly, Lachie ash, Coniglio and perryman has the potential to be a really strong midfield unit

Back