News Eddie Betts outta here - every day I get in the queue to get on the bus that takes me to you (too much, Magic Bus)

Remove this Banner Ad

We will likely get a pick in the 80's for eddie. From memory this is what the hawks got for hodge, mitchell, lewis. Salary dumps for a veteran player never produce a good return. The club will not play hardball if Eddie intends to leave. We will likely have to pay 150k of his estimated 550k salary.
Would be even more if he went to the Suns, they wouldn't have much room to fit him in

Surely we won’t be paying a dime for Eddie to play somewhere else!
I wouldn't think so. If we're paying him at all next year, he's wearing the tri-colours.

Adelaide should just ask Carlton for massive overs. They'll baulk, then we just tell the media "hey we were open to a trade but Carlton obviously don't think Eddie is worth the asking price".

I wouldn't think so. If we're paying him at all next year, he's wearing the tri-colours.

Adelaide should just ask Carlton for massive overs. They'll baulk, then we just tell the media "hey we were open to a trade but Carlton obviously don't think Eddie is worth the asking price".
Excellent. That way it will look like Carlton killed Bambi and the idiot media will stop accusing the Crows.

I hope we don't guarantee Ed will play games next year, we should never do this with any player. That said, I would like to keep him because he still is contributing on/off the field.

If he is out of form and not chasing, drop him. If he is contributing play him.

I suspect with a competent forward coach, and decent structure he would be fine for another year or two with us. We still have plenty of room for Stengle/McAdam/McHenry.

I suspect with a competent forward coach, and decent structure he would be fine for another year or two with us. We still have plenty of room for Stengle/McAdam/McHenry.
Bold italics --- that's the problem, not Eddie.

Rediculous small article in todays Sunday Mail suggesting Eddie kept a low profile yesterday and stayed home. He was shown numerous times yesterday on TV at Adelaide Oval. Going somewhere with 12,000 people and TV cameras isn't exactly low profile.

he was at the show today signing autographs, having photos taken, looked very happy

he was at the show today signing autographs, having photos taken, looked very happy
Yeah I got a book signed by him at The Show. They are good books for kids, my two year old loves them.

Cheekily said to him good luck next year in whatever jumper you are wearing. He laughed.

I am not enough of a smart arse to suggest if he stays I think he will be wearing our SANFL jumper a lot.

He didnt look like a guy hiding from the public about to leave at all. But neither was Danger.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rediculous small article in todays Sunday Mail suggesting Eddie kept a low profile yesterday and stayed home. He was shown numerous times yesterday on TV at Adelaide Oval. Going somewhere with 12,000 people and TV cameras isn't exactly low profile.

Lol my sister had a photo with him at the show yesterday.

From this article in another thread:
(https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/02/crows-in-crisis-need-a-shake-up-not-a-fire-sale/)
thanks to Crow till I die.
"My only caveat is, don’t move on Eddie Betts. He may not be what he was, but it’s silly to think he can’t still play a role. Pushing him out the door would tear the heart out of fans and the playing group. ".

I'm not as sure. If Eddie thinks he has 1-2 good AFL years in him, he's entitled to do what he thinks is best for him. After his great service to the Club, I can only wish him the best, but my guess is he's been told he won't be playing AFL for the Crows except as a back-up for Stengle/McAdam/Murphy/Gooch.

From this article in another thread:
(https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/02/crows-in-crisis-need-a-shake-up-not-a-fire-sale/)
thanks to Crow till I die.
"My only caveat is, don’t move on Eddie Betts. He may not be what he was, but it’s silly to think he can’t still play a role. Pushing him out the door would tear the heart out of fans and the playing group. ".

I'm not as sure. If Eddie thinks he has 1-2 good AFL years in him, he's entitled to do what he thinks is best for him. After his great service to the Club, I can only wish him the best, but my guess is he's been told he won't be playing AFL for the Crows except as a back-up for Stengle/McAdam/Murphy/Gooch.
The club paid him well for his services

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we don't guarantee Ed will play games next year, we should never do this with any player. That said, I would like to keep him because he still is contributing on/off the field.

I suspect you give him a competent forward line + decent structure and he'll be an average small forward next year.

There isn't much left in that tank.

I was unhappy way back when they drafted Eddie, thinking if Carlton let him go he wasn't going to be much chop. Well, that was way wrong, lol@me. I've never seen a sneakier 'goalsneak' (I mean that as a compliment), the ways he paddled the ball around and the goals he kicked were dazzling. His skills, second- and third-efforts have been wizard-like, and his happy spirit uplifting.
However, his last 2 years have been weak by his own high standards. Something's wrong, plus he's 33 in November. He keeps wrecking packs trying for MOTY --- he's a crumbing, small forward, not a CHF or FF, and oppo defenders wear him closer now.
The club paid him well for his services
They're all well-paid for their 'services'. What's your point, please?
Mine was that I didn't think Eddie leaving was such a bad thing, and that I doubted it would "would tear the heart out of fans and the playing group ", as the article suggested.
In fact, if he's been unhappy around the group it might be better if he left.

I was unhappy way back when they drafted Eddie, thinking if Carlton let him go he wasn't going to be much chop. Well, that was way wrong, lol@me. I've never seen a sneakier 'goalsneak' (I mean that as a compliment), the ways he paddled the ball around and the goals he kicked were dazzling. His skills, second- and third-efforts have been wizard-like, and his happy spirit uplifting.
However, his last 2 years have been weak by his own high standards. Something's wrong, plus he's 33 in November. He keeps wrecking packs trying for MOTY --- he's a crumbing, small forward, not a CHF or FF, and oppo defenders wear him closer now.

They're all well-paid for their 'services'. What's your point, please?
Mine was that I didn't think Eddie leaving was such a bad thing, and that I doubted it would "would tear the heart out of fans and the playing group ", as the article suggested.
In fact, if he's been unhappy around the group it might be better if he left.
My point is the way people carry on with using the comment "service to the club", its like our players volunteer their time, they are paid extremely well for what they do

Eddie has been great, but the club has also been great for Eddie as he has really elevated his game and career especially in 2015/16/17

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I spoke to Eddie at the show Sunday night he signed 2 of his books for me 'My Kind' and 'My People'
People in line were begging him to stay and saying my son or daughter loves you hell I love you, he looked really uncomfortable he was super polite and geniune when thanking everyone for their support but people were pleading quite aggressively.

It got to me and I just said 'Eddie, mate you have bought my family and I so much joy over the years thanks for being you, you're doing wonderful things for the community and Im really proud and whatever happens next we'll all still support you and your endeavours'
He was a bit taken back purely cos it was the first time someone wasn't begging and He said 'Thank you so much for the love and support I really appreciate it and to be honest i really don't know what's happening next'

I believed him when he said I don't know what's happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back