News Emma Grant files lawsuit against Collingwood over concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a tough one …this is obviously a major headache no pun intended for the league.

What I’m most curious about is how much is she suing for?
She’s probably going to be asking for more than what she was earning overall…a lot more no doubt….and this is where you know the legal system in this country is broken.

Have you mob thats having a go at a player for taking legal action ever thought about the background to this shite? Have you considered the implications of what we know for a fact in terms of scientifically proven shite. CTE is not made up. A logical conclusion from modern studies would indicate a whole truck load of bodies playing AFL - community or professional - have had life long impacting injuries. Injuries that wouldn't have been appropriately diagnosed, that would have impacted on their family and friend. Think of spud. If said player has no case, then let the courts decide, otherwise stfu.

The negative attitude just puts down the many other players who might have CTE. It excuses the medic support in local clubs. Its not about the heros, just the average joe blow thats taken too many hits in local footy. If your worried about entertainment, we can always have reruns of the 1990 gf to entertains us for ever more. Its actually a case in point.

There’s still a lot of disagreement in the medical profession about CTE, as per this New York Times article from just a few months back -
Scientists Say Concussions Can Cause a Brain Disease. These Doctors Disagree.

But law firms will keep driving this, as they stand to potentially make mega multi-millions out of this (these compensation law firms usually sweep up 40-50 % of any settlements paid in legal fees). It’s a great money earner for the suits.

The issue with lawsuits like this, is if clubs are held accountable, they’ll just be even more cautious. Anyone with any concussion history won’t be allowed to play at all. The afl needs a fund, no issue there. But to sue your own club, i leaves a bad taste in my mouth

There’s still a lot of disagreement in the medical profession about CTE, as per this New York Times article from just a few months back -
Scientists Say Concussions Can Cause a Brain Disease. These Doctors Disagree.

But law firms will keep driving this, as they stand to potentially make mega multi-millions out of this (these compensation law firms usually sweep up 40-50 % of any settlements paid in legal fees). It’s a great money earner for the suits.
I'm sure its a good article but can't access. Is this one of those global warming is a myth kinda things?

I'm sure it’s a good article but can't access. Is this one of those global warming is a myth kinda things?
New York Times Nov 8, 2022 -

AMSTERDAM — For the first time since 2016, one of the most influential groups guiding doctors, trainers and sports leagues on concussions met last month to decide, among other things, if it was time to recognize the causal relationship between repeated head hits and the degenerative brain disease known as C.T.E.

The group all but decided it was not. Leaders of the International Consensus Conference on Concussion in Sport, meeting in Amsterdam, signaled that it would continue its long practice of casting doubt on the connection between the ravages of head trauma and sports.

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, was first identified in boxers in 1928 and burst into prominence in 2005, when scientists published their posthumous diagnosis of the disease in the N.F.L. Hall of Fame center Mike Webster, creating an existential crisis for sports such as football and rugby that involve players hitting their heads thousands of times a year. …

But in one of the final sessions of the three-day conference, one of the leaders of the conference, a neuropsychologist … dismissed the work of scientists who have documented C.T.E. in hundreds of athletes and soldiers because he said their studies thus far did not account for other health variables, including heart disease, diabetes and substance abuse.

“To think that there is one factor that is contributing to their current problems and that factor you can see under a microscope after death is an extraordinarily naïve position when you think about the human condition,” said Dr. Grant Iverson, a neuropsychologist at Harvard who ran the session and was a lead writer of the conference’s statement on long-term impacts of repeated head trauma. …

In conversations before and during the conference, leaders of the group centered their discussions on what was unknown about C.T.E., noting that it was unclear why some athletes got the disease and others who played the same sport did not. No one can say how much head trauma is needed to get C.T.E. A reliable test for diagnosing the disease in the living is at least five years off, experts said. …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for repeat posts but just want to add. CTE doesn't simply impact on a player, it impacts on all around them. It is insidious and has been shown to result in further hurt - family violence, suicide, aggressive behaviour. I state this only to argue the first position we should take in response to a claim like this is lets work it out, not lets negate it.
Great post & an accurate account of many of the symptoms & ongoing battles faced by the individual & the impact on their loved ones.
It sounds like you've either looked into the issues people face on a daily basis or you or someone you know have first hand experience with this debilitating & all consuming disease.

Last edited:
New York Times Nov 8, 2022 -

AMSTERDAM — For the first time since 2016, one of the most influential groups guiding doctors, trainers and sports leagues on concussions met last month to decide, among other things, if it was time to recognize the causal relationship between repeated head hits and the degenerative brain disease known as C.T.E.

The group all but decided it was not. Leaders of the International Consensus Conference on Concussion in Sport, meeting in Amsterdam, signaled that it would continue its long practice of casting doubt on the connection between the ravages of head trauma and sports.

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, was first identified in boxers in 1928 and burst into prominence in 2005, when scientists published their posthumous diagnosis of the disease in the N.F.L. Hall of Fame center Mike Webster, creating an existential crisis for sports such as football and rugby that involve players hitting their heads thousands of times a year. …

But in one of the final sessions of the three-day conference, one of the leaders of the conference, a neuropsychologist … dismissed the work of scientists who have documented C.T.E. in hundreds of athletes and soldiers because he said their studies thus far did not account for other health variables, including heart disease, diabetes and substance abuse.

“To think that there is one factor that is contributing to their current problems and that factor you can see under a microscope after death is an extraordinarily naïve position when you think about the human condition,” said Dr. Grant Iverson, a neuropsychologist at Harvard who ran the session and was a lead writer of the conference’s statement on long-term impacts of repeated head trauma. …

In conversations before and during the conference, leaders of the group centered their discussions on what was unknown about C.T.E., noting that it was unclear why some athletes got the disease and others who played the same sport did not. No one can say how much head trauma is needed to get C.T.E. A reliable test for diagnosing the disease in the living is at least five years off, experts said. …
Thankyou for this post. I certainly need to know more before definitively identifying this as another 'its not global warming' syndrome. Something is happening here but we don't know what it is, do we mister jones. It maybe not what we think, maybe other shite is relevant (I am sure our wonderous judicial system will work that out). At this stage I am happy for Emma to use the courts to work it out.

I am a boxing fan. I was willing to buy parkinsons with M.Ali but when Tommy Hearns took the same path I started to question. Just sayin'.

CTE is real.

Concussion is real.

What is not known is the nature of the link between the two.

The current belief is that CTE is more likely to occur in the presence of a larger volume of “sub-concussive” traumas to the brain, rather than a small number of concussions. Hence heading the ball is outlawed in training for in junior soccer in the UK, and yet jockeys who report amongst the highest rates of concussion around, seemingly don’t get CTE at a high rate.

There is also the question of post-concussive syndrome. It can be bad enough to make your life hell, make regular employment for example nigh on impossible… but it isn’t CTE.

And CTE currently can’t be diagnosed in the living.

It’s a massive problem with a great many unknowns.

CTE is real.

Concussion is real.

What is not known is the nature of the link between the two.

The current belief is that CTE is more likely to occur in the presence of a larger volume of “sub-concussive” traumas to the brain, rather than a small number of concussions. Hence heading the ball is outlawed in training for in junior soccer in the UK, and yet jockeys who report amongst the highest rates of concussion around, seemingly don’t get CTE at a high rate.

There is also the question of post-concussive syndrome. It can be bad enough to make your life hell, make regular employment for example nigh on impossible… but it isn’t CTE.

And CTE currently can’t be diagnosed in the living.

It’s a massive problem with a great many unknowns.
Jockeys don't get CTE because of the massive amount of brain work they do. All that keeping track of their bets, who is paying them to ride doggo, which horse(other than mine) is meant to win which race - can't write it down so it keeps their minds really active.

You concede that you know nothing about the case, then proceed to call it a money grab.

Should probably just wait to see how it unfolds?
Could have said much the same about the allegations against Clarkson and Fagan, but lack of detail didn't stop several posters from convicting them as soon as the allegations became known. I think that in a world seemingly aimed at achieving squeaky cleanness, it's inevitable for people to be cynical of claims such as this one.

Could have said much the same about the allegations against Clarkson and Fagan, but lack of detail didn't stop several posters from convicting them as soon as the allegations became known. I think that in a world seemingly aimed at achieving squeaky cleanness, it's inevitable for people to be cynical of claims such as this one.

Cynical is one thing. I don't mind cynicism, quite adept at it.

But to ascribe malicious intent is quite another thing, when next to nothing is known of the case.

That's my view.

Jockeys don't get CTE because of the massive amount of brain work they do. All that keeping track of their bets, who is paying them to ride doggo, which horse(other than mine) is meant to win which race - can't write it down so it keeps their minds really active.

Well this makes a lot of sense… except when I watch Craig Williams riding as though he has CTE already.

Yeah, we ought to go back to the good old days of footy players losing their minds and livelihoods whilst the club watched on unscathed!
There needs to be a sports fund for every sport where this applies that helps with medical funding and care.

Not direct funds to players as compensation as if the sport's at fault. The players know the risks.

What other factors are involved?

Why does one person get ill effects from a single concussion where many other do not?
Is there perhaps certain lifestyle choices increasing the chances of this happening?
In NFL Alcohol, steroids, amphetamines and cocain use is rife these all have effects on the brain does one or a combination of these things increase the likelihood of CTE on set?

There is a lot of unanswered questions still around it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back