Premier Lg EPL Matchday 14 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the only gesture Hooper ever made was pointing at the ball for a foul. There definitely was no advantage signal.
I guess thats not really the point is it, there should have been.

I get the 'nah * em' attitude towards City but it was a really bad stuff up by the ref.

I get the 'nah * em' attitude towards City but it was a really bad stuff up by the ref.
Correct, but that's the end of the story isn't it? Maybe he didn't see Grealish so he called just a foul. It's a straight up mistake. It's not worth the hair pulling sook fest though. The ref made one mistake for the game which was far less costly than the city players mistakes but their fans aren't calling for them to be suspended de moted etc

It is the point because you have City fans saying "he clearly played advantage" - which is absolutely not true. I agree he should have been more decisive in either stopping the game immediately or signaling an advantage but in reality these sorts of things happen regularly every week with referees pulling play back when teams want an advantage.

Perhaps you're only looking for what you want to see/hear/read.

No different to City fans saying that Grealish would have scored. It's a bad mistake for the ref but it did not cost City the game.

He was 40 yards out, isolated and had two Spurs defenders about to close him down. He's not quick enough to carry it far enough to get a shot away and most likely would have gone down at the first sign of contact because that's what he does.

But yeah, it cost City the game.:rolleyes:

Imo the ref stuffed it but regardless Haaland should receive a ban. Unacceptable to scream at a ref like that and then say f*** off. Kids copy that behaviour and it makes it harder for refs in juniors/lower leagues.

This is the problem. You never saw the referee clearly give advantage. The gesture for that is two outstretched arms in the direction of play. This absolutely did not happen.

Yet you stated the referee clearly played advantage.

Like I said, I'll go with what I saw with my own eyes until I have a reason to think otherwise.

A bit of openness from PGMOL may well help with that.

Worth noting that Van Dijk copped a 1 game ban and a £100k fine for his outburst towards the referee in the Newcastle game, which certainly appeared to be less colourful than Haaland's actions both during the game and then online after.

Given the league's hard line stance on players and coaches abusing referees this season, you would expect some consistency here, otherwise what's the point.
Haaland got booked for his protest, not sure if that was a factor.

As for the "telling the ref to * off", I've heard it was directed at Lo Celso not the ref. Haven't seen the footage myself, so wouldn't have a clue if that is correct or not.

As for the tweet I don't think there is much in it. But was happy to see him not tweet again for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
No different to City fans saying that Grealish would have scored. It's a bad mistake for the ref but it did not cost City the game.

He was 40 yards out, isolated and had two Spurs defenders about to close him down. He's not quick enough to carry it far enough to get a shot away and most likely would have gone down at the first sign of contact because that's what he does.

But yeah, it cost City the game.:rolleyes:
He may have scored, he may not have.

I don't think anyone has said that he definitely would have scored but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to consider that we missed out on a great opportunity to win the game as a result of that decision.

You might help yourself if you bring up something that's remotely comparable. Sterling was through on goal 30 yards out with no doubts about stoppages from a free kick with the defense moving away from goal. Grealish was near the half way line and received the ball 40 yards out from goal with defenders right on his tail.

We once had Tierney blow for half time 10 seconds before the end of injury time with Mane through on goal against Utd. No PGMOL explanation offered or demanded.
LOL

He may have scored, he may not have.

I don't think anyone has said that he definitely would have scored but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to consider that we missed out on a great opportunity to win the game as a result of that decision.

Yes, it's a monumental fk up.

But honestly, the way Haaland and others have carried on is an embarrassment.

It is also time we stopped ripping referees to pieces for every mistake they make. This is a game played by humans officiated by humans and run by humans. No matter how much we pay them mistakes will happen. It is unavoidable.

Like I said, I'll go with what I saw with my own eyes until I have a reason to think otherwise.

A bit of openness from PGMOL may well help with that.

Again, you stated that you saw the referee clearly play advantage when this did not happen.

I doubt PGMOL has ever put an explanation out for why a referee pulled back play for a foul when an attacking team wanted the advantage. This is something that occurs regularly.

Why would they start now? Ridiculous suggestion.

And here we are. The discourse is here and the usual culprits at the centre of it.

The ref made a mistake, it happens. He may have scored, he may not have.

There's wars going on and here we are still talking about this and yes somehow it has turned into a discussion about Liverpool being hard done by.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is also time we stopped ripping referees to pieces for every mistake they make. This is a game played by humans officiated by humans and run by humans. No matter how much we pay them mistakes will happen. It is unavoidable.
100% it's become a coping mechanism for people now to blame referees for absolutely everything. They can make the correct decision 99 times for the game but they mess up the final one and morons on the Internet and even on TV crucify them like they ruined the game

Like I said before. Haaland makes 400k a week or whatever and made two monumental mistakes that cost city more and no one gives the slightest s**t. It's disgraceful really

Again, you stated that you saw the referee clearly play advantage when this did not happen.

I doubt PGMOL has ever put an explanation out for why a referee pulled back play for a foul when an attacking team wanted the advantage. This is something that occurs regularly.

Why would they start now? Ridiculous suggestion.
I think it would be good if PGMOL were more transparent and open about loads of decisions involving all teams.

Don't know why anyone would be opposed.

No-one is ripping referees apart for every error they make. But for significant errors like this I don't think it's too much to discuss what the process behind the decision is.

It is a football discussion board after all, although you could be forgiven for thinking discussion is banned the way some carry on.

I always had a rule of thumb as a ref to count to five before either blowing for the foul or calling advantage, to see how the play developed. After all what's the harm? You call it back and the team gets the foul or the play develops.

Once the genie's out of the bottle (the whistle blown) you can't go back, but you can always blow the whistle after seeing the play develop. It's why I never understand umpires in AFL blowing the whistle AND paying advantage as the whistle has an immediate impact on players.

I think it would be good if PGMOL were more transparent and open about loads of decisions involving all teams.

Don't know why anyone would be opposed.

You are suggesting a referee has to explain themselves every time they decide to pull play back.

What next? A PGMOL explanation for Man City fans why a corner was mistakenly awarded against them?

Surely you must realise how ridiculous this suggestion is.

Leave the PGMOL transparency stuff to key decisions (penalties, red cards, offside).

Except no football is being discussed, it's just ref whining
yep and Ange sets a great example that puts the rest of the league to shame and most supporters.
people make mistakes, it's a very high pressure job and don't really understand the carry on some have towards officials who * up.

when I was younger it was something that I'd get upset about but as anyone gets older you'd like to think they have some degree of perspective about these things. it's a bloke doing his job under all sorts of pressure requiring often debatable interpretation and split second decisions. the media criticise, fans criticise, players can act like clowns.. none of it is easy.

yep and Ange sets a great example that puts the rest of the league to shame and most supporters.
people make mistakes, it's a very high pressure job and don't really understand the carry on some have towards officials who * up.

when I was younger it was something that I'd get upset about but as anyone gets older you'd like to think they have some degree of perspective about these things. it's a bloke doing his job under all sorts of pressure requiring often debatable interpretation and split second decisions. the media criticise, fans criticise, players can act like clowns.. none of it is easy.
Yeah mate completely agree. Happens in the footy aswell and I call Dees fans aswell. We have a s**t quarter and we are down 7-3 in free kicks and there's always a few who blame the umpires. It's a bit reflective of society now, back in the day taking the piss outta officials was a bit more for the fun of it now every team genuinely believes they get rorted by umpires and refs. Mikel arteta goes on a disgrace rant about three 50/50 calls it's just stupid.

I thought Brisbane copped a shocking advantage call in the last minute of the GF, doesn't mean collingwood didn't get a bad call at any point either though

No-one is ripping referees apart for every error they make. But for significant errors like this I don't think it's too much to discuss what the process behind the decision is.

It is a football discussion board after all, although you could be forgiven for thinking discussion is banned the way some carry on.

After every f***ing game somebody wants to blame anyone but the players. If Haaland scores his two sitters then this is not even a discussion. All this does is shift blame. At least Pep was somewhat philosophical post game. Haaland needs to grow up. He's a petulant child who should be sat for a game or two by the FA for his embarrassing carry on both during and after the match.

Until that decision the game was referee'd impeccably. Now you have people on talkback radio and Twitter (X or whatever idiotboy Elon wants to call it) saying the guy should never referee another game. No thought to him having a mortgage and a family to feed? Of course not, just lame criticism from people who have never made a mistake in their jobs (sarcasm!).

This is what we have come to. Publicly shitting on officials every time they make a mistake.

Totally accept that refs make mistakes, I thought the ref made a mistake in the Liverpool match that cost us a goal. But I understood why the decision was made so didn't comment.

Personally I think this one is a bit different a d I think it would be great if PGMOL explained what the process behind the decision was.

I think it would be a good thing for the sport if they did more of that. In the absence of any explanation I can only go with what I saw with my own eyes.

If that's unacceptable criticism so be it. For me, it's one obvious talking point of the match that people seem to be offended is getting talked about.

Totally accept that refs make mistakes, I thought the ref made a mistake in the Liverpool match that cost us a goal. But I understood why the decision was made so didn't comment.

Personally I think this one is a bit different a d I think it would be great if PGMOL explained what the process behind the decision was.

I think it would be a good thing for the sport if they did more of that. In the absence of any explanation I can only go with what I saw with my own eyes.

If that's unacceptable criticism so be it. For me, it's one obvious talking point of the match that people seem to be offended is getting talked about.

Yeah, great idea. Let's have PGMOL publicly dissect every decision in every game, further exposing referees who are already being abused. Wonderful. :rolleyes:

How about we all just sit down, shut up and respect the referee's decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back