Recommitted Errol Gulden [Re-Signed to 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically the Eagles did with Judd (the fact they wasted the non Kennedy first round pick is immaterial)
Wasted?

I presume you mean Chris Masten?

WCE wanted to trade with Richmond, as they wanted pick 2 to ensure they got Cotchin. Obviously didn't happen.

You'd have to go all the way to pick #10(Dangerfield) to find the next player who had a better career than Masten and he would've been a huge reach at the time(and would've gone home anyway).

Wasted?

I presume you mean Chris Masten?

WCE wanted to trade with Richmond, as they wanted pick 2 to ensure they got Cotchin. Obviously didn't happen.

You'd have to go all the way to pick #10(Dangerfield) to find the next player who had a better career than Masten and he would've been a huge reach at the time(and would've gone home anyway).

Dennis Armfield was pretty good with pick 46 (a pick we got as part of the Judd)

Will agree that this was a very poor draft overall. Although Kreuzer would have been one of the all time great modern day rucks if he wasn't cursed by so many damn injuries (you can relate with Nic-Nat) :(

Dennis Armfield was pretty good with pick 46 (a pick we got as part of the Judd)

Will agree that this was a very poor draft overall. Although Kreuzer would have been one of the all time great modern day rucks if he wasn't cursed by so many damn injuries (you can relate with Nic-Nat) :(
A lot of good players picked up later in the draft. The first 1-9 were rather underwhelming for various reasons(injuries, application, etc), outside of Cotchin.

A lot of good players picked up later in the draft. The first 1-9 were rather underwhelming for various reasons(injuries, application, etc), outside of Cotchin.

It's interesting to look back on drafts from that period up until say the last couple of years .

Top ten picks generally are much more studied and put through more rigorous testing (such as IQ/Personality questioning)

I recall Kinnear Beatson (Swans recruiting manager) saying an recruiting officer from another club refusing to draft a top 10 prospect his club was keen on because he had a messy bedroom (a couple of years ago)

Really wish I knew who that player was lol :)

It's interesting to look back on drafts from that period up until say the last couple of years .

Top ten picks generally are much more studied and put through more rigorous testing (such as IQ/Personality questioning)

I recall Kinnear Beatson (Swans recruiting manager) saying an recruiting officer from another club refusing to draft a top 10 prospect his club was keen on because he had a messy bedroom (a couple of years ago)

Really wish I knew who that player was lol :)
Kinnear should just look after our later picks, he's useless with first rounders.
One of the best after the first round

I think Gulden and Daicos will be compared to each other for most of their careers.

I know a lot of people love Daicos, and that is completely fair but I would not trade Gulden for him. I love Gulden. He gets the ball a lot and unlike most players who get the ball a lot Gulden really knows what to do with it. He has a very accurate kick on him, and when he has the ball he always looks for the attacking option. He doesn't pad out his stats like a lot of midfielders do.

It is actually why Gulden has a slightly lower disposal efficiency than some would expect, as unlike most mids he doesn't go for the easy option, he almost always goes for the attacking option, and with that option comes more risk, though he usually pulls it off.

I hope players like Gulden make recruiters more open to drafting smaller players as previously mids under 175cm always got an asterisk against their name come draft time, and that is really not fair. In fact it was the reason Gulden was bid on so low as his actual U18 performances warranted a top 10 bid, but because he was short a lot of clubs simply dismissed those performances.

I don't think he is, no. In 5 years we will know, but my money is on daicos ending up far superior.
I rate Guldens second half of the year far better than anything Daicos has shown so far. I wouldnt be surprised if Daicos ends up better than Gulden, but the same the other way around.
You could put Daicos into any other team, and he wont necessarily be that impactful, his little seagull role he plays is way overrated by the media tbh. Gulden being up in Sydney doesnt get the respect or media attention he deserves

his little seagull role he plays is way overrated by the media tbh.
Only becomes relevant if counting stats, (which are irrelevant imo).
He calls for and is given the ball because of his ability.
Back on topic, Gulden will stay put.

I rate Guldens second half of the year far better than anything Daicos has shown so far. I wouldnt be surprised if Daicos ends up better than Gulden, but the same the other way around.
You could put Daicos into any other team, and he wont necessarily be that impactful, his little seagull role he plays is way overrated by the media tbh. Gulden being up in Sydney doesnt get the respect or media attention he deserves
Daicos had a heap touches in the GF, don't think he affected the result

No doubt Errol looks great. I am just curious how often does he get tagged? If I remember correctly in Suns game Miller tagged him in first half and basically made him non-factor but then in 2nd half for some stupid reason coach King took Miller off him and Errol started to dominate with his ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt Errol looks great. I am just curious how often does he get tagged? If I remember correctly in Suns game Miller tagged him in first half and basically made him non-factor but then in 2nd half for some stupid reason coach King took Miller off him and Errol started to dominate with his ball use.
Errol got tagged quite a bit, Longmire would just play him wing or up forward and he would still have an influence

Its a lot harder to tag a guy who plays all over the ground. Daicos gets a lot of cheaper touches that are easier to stop, usually off the side/back of a stoppage, Gulden runs to space for the next kick or whatever, and demands it just as much as Daicos does. Imo its much harder to stop someone playing like Gulden does

Only becomes relevant if counting stats, (which are irrelevant imo).
He calls for and is given the ball because of his ability.
Back on topic, Gulden will stay put.
Yeah they give it to him because he is good with it, not arguing that.
My point is, that Daicos can play like he does because he is enabled by his team, throw Daicos into another team that might not be as big and strong through the midfield, and you dont necessarily get the same impact.

Its a lot harder to tag a guy who plays all over the ground. Daicos gets a lot of cheaper touches that are easier to stop, usually off the side/back of a stoppage, Gulden runs to space for the next kick or whatever, and demands it just as much as Daicos does. Imo its much harder to stop someone playing like Gulden does
Most taggers are aerobic beasts who lack a bit of skill. You can't usually outrun them. I expect gulden to receive a lot more attention in 2024 (but I said that about daicos in 2023 and it didn't happen. At all.)

Most taggers are aerobic beasts who lack a bit of skill. You can't usually outrun them. I expect gulden to receive a lot more attention in 2024 (but I said that about daicos in 2023 and it didn't happen. At all.)

Didn't Daicos get tagged a few times in late 2023 before his injury, and there was talk in the media about if he could handle the tag as his numbers were down quite a bit?

Didn't Daicos get tagged a few times in late 2023 before his injury, and there was talk in the media about if he could handle the tag as his numbers were down quite a bit?
Really only once (against my club). Worked a treat. No idea why nobody else does it.

At the moment Dawson was traded he was an elite young midfielder worth a top 5 pick and a bit more. I do not believe under any circumstances Gulden would leave Sydney, but if he did right now I would value him at a top 5 pick and a bit more. Maybe because Gulden is younger he is worth a touch more, but it is pretty hard to get more than a top 5 pick in a trade regardless. The big difference is that Dawson could lead a midfield. Gulden simply doesn't have the physical presence to ever let me think he will.

This is all a bit silly though. I don't see Gulden going anywhere.

Obviously trading doesn't work like this and if a player asks to leave and is uncontracted the trade return is often not comparable to their actual value - i.e. your Dawson example.

But if Gulden was to leave, a team would have to offer us pick 1 and 2 for it to feel like we are getting something resembling fair value back.

Gulden would be spoken about in the media like N Daicos if he played for a Victorian club.

Obviously trading doesn't work like this and if a player asks to leave and is uncontracted the trade return is often not comparable to their actual value - i.e. your Dawson example.

But if Gulden was to leave, a team would have to offer us pick 1 and 2 for it to feel like we are getting something resembling fair value back.

Gulden would be spoken about in the media like N Daicos if he played for a Victorian club.

Looking at Gulden's stats they are just as good as Daicos's, often better.

Agreed. Gulden gets at most 20% of the praise Daicos gets, and it really should be the same, and would be the same if the Swans did not match the Gulden bid and he played for Geelong right now.
I was waiting for someone to call his name earlier, we would've lost our first rounder the following year.
The bid from Geelong was quite late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back