Recommitted Darcy Parish - re-signed until 2028!

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

5 more years of Parish probably feels more like the come down rather than the sugar.
i dont get this sentiment. Admittedly held by a lot of Dons supporters too.

Top 3 for clearances. His peers in the top 5 - libba, bont, rowell, neale.
Top 3 for disposals with Daicos & Green. Serong and Oliver behind. Only Daicos has better DE.
7th for contested possessions, ahead of Cripps, Neale, Tracc, Kelly, LDU.
Leading Centre cleearance & top 7 stoppage clearance
Top 10 for pressure acts and def 50 pressures acts

for a club who is garbage at the contested side of the game, losing their best contested player for a speculative pick that likely slides into the early teens would have been a disaster imo.

i dont get this sentiment. Admittedly held by a lot of Dons supporters too.

Top 3 for clearances. His peers in the top 5 - libba, bont, rowell, neale.
Top 3 for disposals with Daicos & Green. Serong and Oliver behind. Only Daicos has better DE.
7th for contested possessions, ahead of Cripps, Neale, Tracc, Kelly, LDU.
Leading Centre cleearance & top 7 stoppage clearance
Top 10 for pressure acts and def 50 pressures acts

for a club who is garbage at the contested side of the game, losing their best contested player for a speculative pick that likely slides into the early teens would have been a disaster imo.
No doubt he has good stats, dude is a fantasy gun.

No doubt he has good stats, dude is a fantasy gun.
he turns the ball over a bit. but so do a lot of guns.
If it was a top 5 pick, i think i could have handled it. once we finished where we did, holding him became a priority.

fantasy and stats aside, he's worth twice what the FA comp would have been, and who knows what we can draft with that.
Would have been a massive hole to fill.

he turns the ball over a bit. but so do a lot of guns.
If it was a top 5 pick, i think i could have handled it. once we finished where we did, holding him became a priority.

fantasy and stats aside, he's worth twice what the FA comp would have been, and who knows what we can draft with that.
Would have been a massive hole to fill.
I suppose, but the dude just doesn't feel like part of the solution to whatever your problem is.

I suppose, but the dude just doesn't feel like part of the solution to whatever your problem is.
our problem is the ball goes inside 50 to no one then to defence too easily.
we have zero pressure in our fwd line and our backline isnt that good to stand up to it.

i'd also add the rest of our midfield is quite young.
caldwell is 22, Hobbs, 19, Tsatas 18.

Wright out for the bulk of the season and wasn't 100% when he returned.
Setterfield, Draper and Shiel missing half the season, plus Parish missing 6 odd weeks exposed us.
experience and match hardened bodies that form the core of our midfield

Add to that, we had most our side gassed by rd 17.
Fitness and Strength & Conditioning is our #1 issue at the moment.

Deal is fine for the cash. Not like anyone is banging down the door to take his spot in the midfield.

Parish is a good player. Not shite, not a gun. Just good to occasionally very good. He is a stat machine, but the eye test doesn't match. Nobody would put him alongside his stat peers. He just hasn't got the intangibles.

And he just doesn't make a good midfield with the other pieces there. It just doesn't add up. Darcy's stats to his standing. Nor his fit alongside the other midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be right but you're still missing the point. Whoever we drafted with the compensation we'd have received if he walked would be much more likely a downgrade than any solution to our problems.

Back