Recommitted Darcy Parish [RFA 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

this is odd logic.

Lynch netted band 1, GCS finished 2nd last
Frawley - Dees were 2nd last
Both key position players which are slightly different to midfielders and also going to clubs contending for premierships.

Unless he has a big season I don't see him getting band 1 and if he has a big season Essendon shouldn't be finishing bottom 4

Apart from 1 or 2 posters at least we aren't expecting a good pick for him. Essendon supporters want him out but also want a 1st and 2nd in return for him
Almost as if one is 25, in his prime and the other 29 and nearing the end.

Apart from 1 or 2 posters at least we aren't expecting a good pick for him. Essendon supporters want him out but also want a 1st and 2nd in return for him
So exactly like the Tom Mitchell thread circa 2021 😛

Parish is a good player. He's young and could be a better one if he continues to develop his craft. But we have too many similar small ball hunting attacking midfielders that don't necessarily play the team role, tackle, cover the man and run back to support.

Of those, Shiel is 30 in April and not of significant interest to anyone, Merrett is earmarked as a future captain, has a long term contract and is therefore untradeable, and the others are all under ~22 and of an age with the group we have been trying to bring in through the draft. If we're going to trade out an established player to raise some capital and get someone who fits better, Parish is the obvious one.

But much like the Tom Mitchell thread circa 2021, if no one wants to give up the pick required for us to replace him with someone that better complements our midfield, then we'll be happy to keep him. And unlike Tom Mitchell, the club hasn't actually made any noises about him being on the trade table, so there's also that.

I also wonder whether Parish is almost/at his ceiling and it isn't high enough to warrant the picks Essendon will likely ask for.
Ceiling is All Australian level which is a lot ******* better than 95% of other players out there

Could you imagine a fan voting based system? Wells calling dodoro:

"Hey mate, says here I'm asking for Darcy parish with Archie perkins and Nick Cox as steak knives, and apparently we're offering you... umm ... Jake Kolodjashnij, Quinton Narkle, Mark O'Connor, Gryan Miers, Shaun Higgins, Luke Dahlhaus... and err.... a 2nd back our way....?"
ahh the old bigfooty special of our 3 C graders equals your A grader? gotta love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People in this thread have a very odd view of Parish other then his limitations defensively.

Not hard at it? He’s legitimately one of the best contested players in the comp.

Not damaging? He’s one of the best players in the comp at generating scores from stoppages.

I understand not wanting your side to give up a top 10 pick for him given his defensive issues and pending FA status but making demonstrably wrong statements is odd.

It’s worth noting that Essendon’s whole defensive system is crap/poorly implemented. It’s possible that Parish’s poor form in that area is an Essendon problem not a direct Parish problem.

I for one hope we keep him and find a way for all of our mids to coexist.

People in this thread have a very odd view of Parish other then his limitations defensively.

Not hard at it? He’s legitimately one of the best contested players in the comp.

Not damaging? He’s one of the best players in the comp at generating scores from stoppages.

I understand not wanting your side to give up a top 10 pick for him given his defensive issues and pending FA status but making demonstrably wrong statements is odd.

It’s worth noting that Essendon’s whole defensive system is crap/poorly implemented. It’s possible that Parish’s poor form in that area is an Essendon problem not a direct Parish problem.

I for one hope we keep him and find a way for all of our mids to coexist.

Darcy is an AA midfielder at the age of 24. Literally got AA the first year he played in the midfield.

The fact people think Darcy isn't worth a top 10 pick is just ludicrous considering we got bashed for not paying 2 x Top 10 picks for Dunkley, to whom Parish is statistically better than shows you it is a joke.

I mean its all hypothetical anyway, Parish isn't going anywhere in 2023 so i suppose we are a year out from any real relevant scenarios. i do note though that Parish's 2023 will play a large part in what he is worth.

if he has another 2021 year he will be worth a lot if infact he does want to leave, if he has another injury hampered 2022 than of course it will devalue him.

There is not even any real rumour that he is leaving, nor wants to leave nor is being chased by another club. Bit of shadow jumping going on here. The only thing i have heard is he was supposedly spotted at a cafe with hawks reps the same time he as been in Fiji for the last week or so.

Last edited:
I could see GWS making a big play for Parish next year, especially if they lose Taranto,Bruhn and Hopper and probably will have cap space to pay the money to prise him away from Essendon.

I could see that.

Tome green + Darcy would be good inside team.

Value to us is not the same as value to someone else. He lacks value to us because our starting mids are all undersized. Standing next to Newcombe he’s an entirely different prospect than next to Shiel and Merrett.

Geelong into him.

I can believe that but essendon will ask for currency we either dont have or dont want to give up. It will be a revisit next year when hes FA thing.

I can believe that but essendon will ask for currency we either dont have or dont want to give up. It will be a revisit next year when hes FA thing.
It'll be two first rounders due to where you're at.

It'll be two first rounders due to where you're at.

Tbh id trade 2 picks in the teens for parish but you wouldnt take it i dont think youd want a top 10 pick minimum which we dont have (and if we did have probably wouldnt trade it). Which is why i dont see us getting him until he is FA (if at all).

I could also believe that, but like you struggle to see how it would get done. Even your first is likely of limited direct value because Davey might be bid on before it. So your first and F1 doesn’t really work.

Tbh id trade 2 picks in the teens for parish but you wouldnt take it i dont think youd want a top 10 pick minimum which we dont have (and if we did have probably wouldnt trade it). Which is why i dont see us getting him until he is FA (if at all).
Your first this year if you make the GF would be swallowed up by an Alwyn Davey bid anyway.

I imagine we would be asking for a player, which doesnt make sense from Geelongs end as any player we would want, you would see as required for a flag tilt.

It really is next to certain that he isnt traded this year. Imminently gettable as a FA next year though if we have another poor year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back