Recommitted Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

I responded to you as you replied to my comment not because I took exception to anything. I stand by the comment. NWM has done basically nothing. He played in an average team, in a position that is traditionally valued less than almost any other on the ground and threw up 13.5disp a game and kicked 1 goal in 17 games as an outside player. Amon is top 3 in the league over the past 3-5 years and he's apparently only getting middling money at the Hawks (or the AFL completely ****ed us). This is not a criticism of NVM or the Saints it is a statement of fact that he has an immature body that won't be able to play elsewhere (maybe at all, but certainly for several years), plays in a position that is of less value, and will be OOC. I'm calling out the people on here blowing smoke up his and St Kilda's arse. The reality is, if he leaves, he is only going to consider 2 clubs and there might well be a much higher profile player on offer. Meanwhile people are talking about pick 25 for Georgiades in a similar thread. Meanwhile we were told on BF, throughout the media, that we needed to give up a gun player because 8+F1+2nd wasn't enough for JHF. Instead, we offered that and got Rioli thrown in as well. There was actually a serious article midway through 2020 that had Wines+our 1st going to Essendon for Fantasia. I am not talking about NVM in isolation.

Maybe I am still a bit irritated at the pathetic commentary in the media about JHF in the off-season. I have never seen anything like it. Tom Boyd didn't cop anything nearly as bad. Bruhn barely got a mention leaving his club so he could go home (about 1 hour down the road). Contracts should be honored, unless you're Collingwood forcing a club stalwart out or Rory Lobb who had his partner purchase a house in Melbourne to put pressure on Fremantle or North trying to get Hunter Clark to the club. Adelaide were being called petty for taking a crack at the young players leaving them. If you think calling out hypocrisy is childish, well that's up to you but it's not going to stop me.
What the actual *...

Who is blowing smoke up his arse?

Looking at recent history Jye Caldwell is probably a good comparison.

They play different roles but it is fair to say NWM has shown more at the same age.

Both picks 11, both playing senior footy

Giants wanted a first rounder, Essendon wanted to get him for a 2nd.

In the end the deal was done for two second rounders with later picks that weren't used in the draft.

They play different roles but it is fair to say NWM has shown more at the same age.

In the end the deal was done for two second rounders with later picks that weren't used in the draft.
Probably not a good comparison.

Caldwell is an onballer, not an outside wingman

Same picks but only after a late rush up the board by nwm when he was considered a 3rd rounder half way through the season.

I still think he went earlier than he should have.

Same picks but only after a late rush up the board by nwm when he was considered a 3rd rounder half way through the season.

Seems a fair comparison to me.

I did say they don't play the same role.

NWM is more outside but he also doesn't come with the injury concerns that that Caldwell did.

I don't see how being a bolter in the draft changes his value now. It wasn't exactly a huge reach at the time. Twomey had him ranked at 12 and if we didn't take him he was more than likely going to go in the next few picks.

As far as a player taken in that range of the draft I don't think you could argue that he has disappointed.

Done

Georgiades was one of the biggest bolters at the 2019 draft. Does nothing for his value.

Georgiades was one of the biggest bolters at the 2019 draft. Does nothing for his value.
Factually incorrect

He was touted as a top pick a year out from the draft, got injured and didn’t play his draft year. Us bigfooty watchers didn’t know him but clubs always were going early on him.

He didn’t rise up the draft, he slid, due to injury.

Factually incorrect

He was touted as a top pick a year out from the draft, got injured and didn’t play his draft year. Us bigfooty watchers didn’t know him but clubs always were going early on him.

He didn’t rise up the draft, he slid, due to injury.

There is not a single phantom draft with him in the top 35.

He was a bolter on draft night. No need to re-write history.

Lucky for st kilda. A second year player’s worth is not based on “exposed form”

What a stupid comment.

What would you honest rate his current trade value them (I think he probably stays at the Saints anyway) ?

Last edited:
Because bigfooty draft watchers didn’t know s**t about him cause he didn’t play in his draft year and he’s from Wa while bigfooty watchers are largely vic focussed.

Who said anything about BigFooty? Why are Port fans so insecure about what posters on this website say?

Search up “Mitch Georgiades bolter” and see for yourself.

Done with this discussion in the NWM thread.

Caldwell has a few soft tissue injuries at the Giants, and was buried deep in their midfield which drove his price down a bit.

As far as I am aware, NWM hasn't had the same health issues and is clearly a position in demand at the Saints (class outside mid). I can imagine the Saints digging their feet in if he wants to leave (even though he is currently OOC).

What would you honest rate his current trade value them (I think he probably stays at the Saints anyway) ?
You’ve edited your post now but in response to what was there before, I think it’s hard to argue he hasn’t reached the potential you expect from a pick 11 player.

I don’t think there are too many around his draft range that have clearly out performed him and there are a few that he has clearly out performed.

He’s showed enough for a pick 11 IMO. Not many players come in and dominate from year one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't say.... But if he backs up his solid debut season, he is easily worth pick 15-20.

The only problem is....

Both SA sides did trade 1st rounders last season.

Adelaide clawed back it's first when Sydney bid on Michalanney with the Dawson pick (pick 17), which we matched with picks 46, 56, and 59, allowing us to trade out the next 2 years if we want (thanks Sydney!).

We are hoping that a F/S in 2024 may mean we don't need the future first, we also have North's second and our first this year.

For what it's worth, I think NWM is worth a first, and expect him to have a great year and be pretty hot property if he hasn't signed on with Saints.

I'd be hoping to pay with North's second though, or a future first (which St Kilda wouldn't want given they would need talent sooner).

Adelaide clawed back it's first when Sydney bid on Michalanney with the Dawson pick (pick 17), which we matched with picks 46, 56, and 59, allowing us to trade out the next 2 years if we want (thanks Sydney!).

We are hoping that a F/S in 2024 may mean we don't need the future first, we also have North's second and our first this year.

For what it's worth, I think NWM is worth a first, and expect him to have a great year and be pretty hot property if he hasn't signed on with Saints.

I'd be hoping to pay with North's second though, or a future first (which St Kilda wouldn't want given they would need talent sooner).
That is a little ironic. There plenty suggesting at the time that Sydney bidding there was pay back for lowballing on the Dawson trade (Not sure if there is actually any truth in that) and in the end it looks as though they may have Adelaide a favour if they intend on trading a first.

That is a little ironic. There plenty suggesting at the time that Sydney bidding there was pay back for lowballing on the Dawson trade (Not sure if there is actually any truth in that) and in the end it looks as though they may have Adelaide a favour if they intend on trading a first.
It is a little, but who knows what the truth is. If Sydney hadn't bid, then there was a thought we might have tried to trade back sooner to get Harry Barnett (West Coast pick 23), but it probably worked out well with a possible unintended consequence in trying to payback Adelaide!

FMD, talk about jumping at shadows 😂

Are we in the same thread?

I was the only saints supporter that had a comment on this thread and have made it clear that it would be hard to get good value for him.

The only other post previous to yours that mentioned pick 11 was dogs supporter saying they "hoped" we got we drafted him for

The only other post to mention a pick was 15-20

No doubt there will be saints supporters that over value him just like we see every year from every club that loses a player on bigfooty

Time to get the chip of the shoulder and have a proper conversation rather than acting like a child
Port supporter is clueless.

I hope St Kilda receive fair compensation for him, they absolutely won't though (should he leave).

Maybe I am still a bit irritated at the pathetic commentary in the media about JHF in the off-season. I have never seen anything like it. Tom Boyd didn't cop anything nearly as bad. Bruhn barely got a mention leaving his club so he could go home (about 1 hour down the road). Contracts should be honored, unless you're Collingwood forcing a club stalwart out or Rory Lobb who had his partner purchase a house in Melbourne to put pressure on Fremantle or North trying to get Hunter Clark to the club. Adelaide were being called petty for taking a crack at the young players leaving them. If you think calling out hypocrisy is childish, well that's up to you but it's not going to stop me.
Tom Boyd also didn't refuse ice baths at GWS, he wasn't visually cracking tantrums on field, the only similarity that the two have is that they both wanted to go home and were struggling whilst away from home, but don't compare the two if there's no comparisons in how the two handled their respective situations.

Also - GWS actively sought out Ryan Griffen in the middle of the year that the trade was eventually done, so there was obvious interest in the trade from both parties.

Caldwell played 5 games over two years at GWS. NWM played 17 last year. Don't see the comparison at all.

If supporters from every other club range from "yeah, poor behaviour from JHF" and downwards from there, maybe the Port martyrs defending his every move need the reality check rather than everyone else.

Unfortunately if he doesn't re up with us and wants to go home he is OOC which hurts our leverage.

I think he has the potential to be an elite HBF / Winger and would hate to lose him.

Would love to break even but we know that isnt the how the trade game works.
I think a future first would be the starting point we would ask but end up probably getting 2 2nd round picks.
It sucks unfortunately when we live in a league where free movement is exclusive to the players and not to clubs being able to trade where they want.

But none if this matters if we can get him to stay the onus is on us to create that environment

There are rumours that Wanganeen-Milera is home sick and may want to return to SA.

Pick 11 in 2021 and managed 17 games in his debut year.

Unfortunately for the Saints, this is now a common theme in footy and it's hard to get good value for an uncontracted home sick kid as history suggests.

If he were to ask for a trade, which SA club would be the most likely and where do we see his trade value?

As a Saints supporter I think the best we can expect is a pick around where he was drafted if he had a good year
Crows were keen on him his draft year, so if he wanted to come home, I'm sure we would be keen to make it happen.

We currently have our 1st rounder, North's 2nd rounder & GWS's 2nd rounder... so shouldn't be a problem. Will depend where these 3 teams finish.

Crows were keen on him his draft year, so if he wanted to come home, I'm sure we would be keen to make it happen.

We currently have our 1st rounder, North's 2nd rounder & GWS's 2nd rounder... so shouldn't be a problem. Will depend where these 3 teams finish.
One of the 2nds this year and a F2. I doubt it would be our 1st which is likely still a top 10 pick in a supposed very strong draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back