Club Focus Essendon 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

There were rumours about that the Bombers had near $3,000,000 of salary cap space available for 2023 to sign someone during the free agency and trade period just gone - so I suspect you're right. That cap space should see a wave of "extensions" moving big signing bonuses into 2023 to add on extra years later.

It would be an interesting list management maneuver to lose a couple of free agents in 2023, add in three top ten draftees and then top up with free agents end of the following season.
Yeah we extended Draper to 2025, probably to bring some money forward in the cap. I think that's the only one so far and final list lodgement was Friday (which is the date when we have to submit salary cap stuff by), so unless there's unannounced extensions that's probably it for now.

The 2024 cap will have the same problem though. Jones, Bryan and Parish could all potentially take a chunk of it as 2023 OOC, and I'd expect Caldwell, Perkins, Cox, maybe Martin to be the ones that could be extended early as 2024 OOC, all depending on their performance and injuries in 2023. McGrath is also OOC in 2024 but he'll be a pre-agent in 2024 so not likely to re-sign early.

Yeah we extended Draper to 2025, probably to bring some money forward in the cap. I think that's the only one so far and final list lodgement was Friday (which is the date when we have to submit salary cap stuff by), so unless there's unannounced extensions that's probably it for now.

The 2024 cap will have the same problem though. Jones, Bryan and Parish could all potentially take a chunk of it as 2023 OOC, and I'd expect Caldwell, Perkins, Cox, maybe Martin to be the ones that could be extended early as 2024 OOC, all depending on their performance and injuries in 2023. McGrath is also OOC in 2024 but he'll be a pre-agent in 2024 so not likely to re-sign early.

Essendon can bring money into the 2023 cap payments during the 2023 season, that's where I expect most of it will be chewed up.

We have the third or fourth youngest list in the AFL and the third least experienced list in the AFL. It would be far from a "disaster" with our list profile
It's an interesting transition phase for sure. You are right that the list is 4th youngest only ahead of North, Hawks and the Crows.

As far as the team running out each week it was pretty surprising to read that the Bombers were the 2nd youngest 'best 22', and West Coast the 3rd oldest.

1670305763505.png

It's an interesting transition phase for sure. You are right that the list is 4th youngest only ahead of North, Hawks and the Crows.

As far as the team running out each week it was pretty surprising to read that the Bombers were the 2nd youngest 'best 22', and West Coast the 3rd oldest.

View attachment 1568417
I'm speaking for next year, only Adelaide and Hawthorne are younger and they're the only ones less experienced (us and Freo tied for 3rd, surprisingly).

Parish - can afford to lose. in fact, probably mutually beneficial. top 5 pick as we rebuild.
Redman - wouldn't say can't afford to lose - he's a HBF'er. if anyone knows how to find these guys....But it would be a shame. He's a gun.

Expect a bit of turnover at the Dons next year
Scott will know what he needs and who he doesn't by years end.

Ridley - Hayes - D'Ambrosio
McGrath - Reid - Cox
still got depth to fill that backline out.

picks 3 thru 5...handy :p
I know it's all hypothetical, but if they both end up as band 1 (or Essendon force a trade to get 1st Rounders) AND The Bombers had taken the Melbourne deal for pick 4, Essendon could have had 5 1st Rounders next year!

Talk about handy :)

I know it's all hypothetical, but if they both end up as band 1 (or Essendon force a trade to get 1st Rounders) AND The Bombers had taken the Melbourne deal for pick 4, Essendon could have had 5 1st Rounders next year!

Talk about handy :)
Im happy with tsatas as pick 5 and a couple of top 5 picks next year.

Not sure there was anything worth sliding back this year for

Have heard the same RE: Redman. I heard it from an SA based mate a few months ago

Would have to be the crows, dont think port would have salary space. Crows could lose Tex and Sloane this year which would free up space.

Parish to hawthorn was the initial rumor i think.

Have heard the same RE: Redman. I heard it from an SA based mate a few months ago

Would have to be the crows, dont think port would have salary space. Crows could lose Tex and Sloane this year which would free up space.

Parish to hawthorn was the initial rumor i think.

I would have thought crows have more pressing list needs than a hbf but yes they will have more cap space than port so its probably them.

Parish wont leave essendon for another bottom 6 team if he does it will be for a finals bound team eg richmond or collingwood (assuming either has capspace). Im assuming he wont come to us because we will offer him less $ than others (see hopper).

Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

No really sure where the Dons list is at but I really liked how they picked up 3x first rounders in 2020. They will likely finish low on the table again this year, so if they can trade out some players and bring in a decent draft haul again it will set them up well.

No really sure where the Dons list is at but I really liked how they picked up 3x first rounders in 2020. They will likely finish low on the table again this year, so if they can trade out some players and bring in a decent draft haul again it will set them up well.
it's a ways off.
Let's assume the rebuild started in 2019 (basically when Daniher asked to leave)

We've added a lot of young talls - Reid (KPD/F), Cox (KPP), Bryan (ruck), Hayes (KPD), Jones (KPF), Eyre (delisted), Brand (delisted).
These guys take time. so you'd think if that all pays off and it's the future spine (plus Wright & Draper), we need a good 2-3 years for it to be consistent, before it gets good, then can win finals/flags.

The midfield is turnover mode. McGrath will move out to HBF. Parish is FA next year. Merrett is 27. Shiel will be 30 when 2023 starts.
So it's Perkins (2020), Hobbs (2021), Caldwell (2019), Tsatas (2022), Martin (2021), Davey (2022) needing to develop into the full time roles to support Merrett, and maybe Parish. At least both are AA quality (when they want to be).

Other area I find an issue is our small fwd/pressure forwards.
Wanganeen (2021), Tippa (retired, then un-retired, 30 in April), Jayden Davey (2022, 2x ACL), Munkara (rookie), Menzie (rookie), Snelling (more mid than fwd), Guelfi.
Not exactly up there in the league and where our biggest issue lies. Ball goes into our fwd line and we either score or it goes coast to coast.

If we're honest, we'd sign up for the fact we'll be down for another 2 years. Bank the high pick next year. Maybe let Parish walk as FA for another top 5 pick. Look to get some x-factor into the side (Duursma) and invest in a gun KPF to develop behind Wright. Line that up, and then you can focus on plugging needs and gaps via FA and trades.

For now, we really just need to keep building. we're 3 years into a rebuild that needed at least 5.

Easiest draw in 2023, new coach, surely have to move a few notches up the ladder?
Third youngest list in the AFL, third least experienced list in the AFL. We might move out of the bottom 4 but we're in a long haul rebuild. This will be year 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backline feels like 9th-12th ish:

A graders: Ridley on 2021 form, Redman on 2022 form, McGrath assuming he moves there full time
B graders: Laverde, BZT* on 2022 form, Kelly?, Hind on 2021 form
Depth: Zach Reid*, D'Ambrosio*, Heppell on 2020-22 form
Not there yet: McBride, Lord, Hayes

We invested pretty heavily in the backline over the last few year without a lot of reward. We lost McKenna to Ireland, Saad to Carlton, Brand (NGA) was delisted last year and we traded Francis to Sydney. Reid has had some back issues and is probably a few years off. Stewart who we converted to full back wasn't up to the level. BZT looks like he could be a really good, solid defender, Laverde keeps his man honest.

Ridley had a poor year but is an AA quality defender when he's played in position. Redman was really great last year, one of our best, and shifting McGrath back introduces some competition for spots that was probably missing since Saad and McKenna left and also helps with the Charlie Cameron types who have dined out on us for a couple of decades. Hind fell away last year but hopefully finds his 2021 form again.

Midfield and rucks feel like 7-10th ish:

A graders: Parish, Merrett
B graders: Shiel, Draper*, Martin, Langford, Caldwell*, Snelling
Depth: Hobbs*, Cox*, Perkins* Durham, Setterfield, Phillips
Not there yet: Tstatas*, Bryan*, Davey

I'm liking the way the midfield is setting up, it was a real strength in 2021 but fell away in 2022 arguably because most of our better runners and pressure forwards spent the year injured and our defensive work was trash.

Parish and Merrett are genuine guns but they can struggle against the bigger midfielders in the comp and Parish can have some defensive lapses. Having Stringer at centre bounces helps but we really need one of Setterfield or Perkins to step up so that we can match teams that throw a bit of weight around. Draper is shaping up to be one of the better ruckmen in the comp, it's astounding how good he is given how little he's played the game. Shiel had a resurgence last year and there's talent coming through with Nick Bryan as a more traditional style tap ruckman and Caldwell/Hobbs/Cox/Tsatas/Perkins as high end talent who look like they'll be handy players.

I think the midfield will look a lot better this year given we've got some elite run back and the forward line shambles of 2022 has been somewhat patched up.

Forwards feel like 13th-18th ish:

A graders: Stringer
B graders: Wright*, Jones*, Tippa?, Langford, Guelfi
Depth: Perkins, Guelfi, Weideman, Snelling, Stewart
Not there yet: Wanganeen*, Voss, Davey, Menzie*, Baldwin*, Munkara

We were pretty terrible up forward last year outside of Wright who might start to edge into A grade territory if he keeps things up. Stringer was looking like he was ready to have his best season ever at Christmas time and then got injured and managed to lose a heap of condition quickly. He didn't really get into the season. Tippa retired. Snelling who rotated forward/mid and finished 3rd in our 2021 B&F was injured and then didn't recover form. New kids like Eyre and Baldwin weren't ready to step up.

We still went ok on the goal kicking side of things but where we really failed was in defending the ball coming out of our fifty. We put very little defensive pressure on the first two kicks coming out of the backline and got absolutely torched through the midfield as a result. People blaming our midfield for a lack of defensive run should also have been focussing on our forward pockets and flanks. We were a disorganised rabble.

We've recruited hard in those positions with Menzie who looks like another SSP win from training reports, Munkara, the two Davey boys (who will likely start their careers up forward) and Wanganeen, and the return of Tippa. Weideman could also be a shrewd acquitision. I don't think it's going to come together this year though, feels 18-24 months off finding a good combination.

A lot will depend on how much Perkins and Jones improve in their 3rd and 4th years, what sort of shape Tippa is in, whether Stringer can stay fit and motivated, whether Wright can keep up his amazing 22 form, etc. Too many unknowns at this stage.

Overall: 7th-14th.

I think with a far softer draw this year we're likely to be mid table again. Before we can compete for finals and flags there's a fair bit of work to do

* expect improvement

Easiest draw in 2023, new coach, surely have to move a few notches up the ladder?

Not about wins for them, but cutting down their poor weeks should be the focus, and that should happen under a new coach. If they compete most weeks that's all you can expect.

Is there anyone else training for the SSP spot? Ive only heard Szybkowski is
A forward/ruck from WA and Tom Phillips (who has signed for our VFL side)

I didn't think Phillips was training for the SSP spot? I thought he had just signed up for VFL
According to Paul Amy's tweet he was.

Always a team that surprises could that be Essendon? who knows.

Look at the Pies no one had them a point away from a grand final most pundits had them finishing bottom 5 and a list that seemed cooked anything can happen if you have the right coach in place and buy in from the players.

Imo we are half way through the rebuild I say 24/25 is when we should start to contend.

Always a team that surprises could that be Essendon? who knows.

Look at the Pies no one had them a point away from a grand final most pundits had them finishing bottom 5 and a list that seemed cooked anything can happen if you have the right coach in place and buy in from the players.

Imo we are half way through the rebuild I say 24/25 is when we should start to contend.

Midfield still a massive issue and end of the day the game ends and starts in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back