Preview Essendon Football Club vs Brisbane Lions - Sunday @1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would you put him? Could probably have him in place of Taylor but Taylor has really improved and thing he is gonna be important in the future.
It would largely depend on form and who wasn't performing well at the time. Robinson would be a lock in his usual HFF/midfield role unless his form went south

the most exciting part of the list composition is the age range. The majority of the list should be together for a long time now, developing together into what will hopefully be a settled unit for years to come.

His brain fades rarely happen now. Also his body on body work was letting him down but he has improved that a lot in recent weeks. Starting to win the battles before the ball gets kicked inside 50 which is what every defender should be aiming for. A little nudge, hold or push to off balance his opponent is all it takes when the ball is 1 kick away. Next step for him is consistency over the rest of the year.
McStay needs to go to the Joel Patfull School Of The Defensive Arts. Patfull was a player who got absolutely everything out of himself and while he might have had his colors lowered on occasions, he also claimed some big name scalps. McStay is an inch or so taller and is currently around the same weight. I'd love to see him bulk up a little and then play 200+ games for us as a defender.

If: Beams is sidelined again for multiple weeks ...

Then ... Rich must elevate his impact on games to at least something commensurate with his bulging pay packet.
4_10CoBL17AT2126-DR-c.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-30/sliding-doors-round-15

Robinson is one of our most important players when he's fit. There's no way he gets left out

Robinson is important in a bad team as a player who has a genuine crack, shows fight, protects the youngesters etc.

But in 2-3 years time as a 30/31 year old is he really going to be best 22 in a hopefully finals bound team holding out the likes of Berry, McLuggage, Cox, Taylor, 2017 1st round pick, 2018 1st round pick, Robertson, Mayes, Cutler, Witherden, Christensen, and playing beside 3 other 30+yo mids like Zorko, Beams, Rocky?

There may well be circumstances in which he is in the team but realistically if Robinson is first choice in 2019/2020 then the kids haven't developed and we are still quite a poor team.

Good chance Cox will come into the team in the backline and allow Rich into the centre. If they tag Zorko that may well free Rich up for "breakout" game
It has been a long time coming and there have been a few false dawns (most recent, this year against St.Kilda). Rich is not known as a prolific ball winner in the middle. In fact, his highest disposal count in a game is a not particularly amazing 32, way back in Rd.15 of 2009 and in Rd.3 against St.Kilda this year. If I had to pick a "breakout game" it would probably have been Rd.16 in 2009 when he had 31 disposals and a career high 12 clearances. As I said last weekend, we have to accept that his best football is probably behind him.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Daniel_Rich.html

With the extended bench that has been named there is no way McCluggage or Matheison will miss out so that leaves 3 of Bewick, Cox, Paparone, Freeman, Smith to be left out. I would like to see Bewick, Paparone and Smith as the 3 left out, leaving a bench of McCluggage, Matheison, Cox and Freeman.

Freeman up front to relieve Hippwood of the sole KPF role, Martin and Smith are just warm bodies up forward IMO.

Play Walker down back on Hooker, Daniher or Stewart.

Would also like to see Rich not perform the kick in duties, too much procrastination from Richy, give that role to Witherden or Cox (if he plays back), both elite kicks and I think they would thrive with the responsibility and we know Fagan doesn't mind a mistake if you are taking the game on.

With the extended bench that has been named there is no way McCluggage or Matheison will miss out so that leaves 3 of Bewick, Cox, Paparone, Freeman, Smith to be left out. I would like to see Bewick, Paparone and Smith as the 3 left out, leaving a bench of McCluggage, Matheison, Cox and Freeman.

Freeman up front to relieve Hippwood of the sole KPF role, Martin and Smith are just warm bodies up forward IMO.

Play Walker down back on Hooker, Daniher or Stewart.

Would also like to see Rich not perform the kick in duties, too much procrastination from Richy, give that role to Witherden or Cox (if he plays back), both elite kicks and I think they would thrive with the responsibility and we know Fagan doesn't mind a mistake if you are taking the game on.

I think they'd need to share it. No way they have the concentration to take 15-20 kick ins on top of their other responsibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson is important in a bad team as a player who has a genuine crack, shows fight, protects the youngesters etc.

But in 2-3 years time as a 30/31 year old is he really going to be best 22 in a hopefully finals bound team holding out the likes of Berry, McLuggage, Cox, Taylor, 2017 1st round pick, 2018 1st round pick, Robertson, Mayes, Cutler, Witherden, Christensen, and playing beside 3 other 30+yo mids like Zorko, Beams, Rocky?

There may well be circumstances in which he is in the team but realistically if Robinson is first choice in 2019/2020 then the kids haven't developed and we are still quite a poor team.

I feel dirty but I agree with this.

Last edited:
Could've been sick last week, would explain the 5 disposal game v the Giants. That was just an unbelievable stat from that game.

Credit to the tagger but 5 disposals, what the hell.

Was it confirmed or just a rumour that Rocky and Beams were sick against Port?

Seems to be that time of year.

Who goes to Fantasia and AMT? I'd put NRobbo on AMT. Fantasia played well against Gardiner last time but he might get another crack.

Who goes to Fantasia and AMT? I'd put NRobbo on AMT. Fantasia played well against Gardiner last time but he might get another crack.
They are both going to be a real handful. None of our defenders can match them for pace and last time we played them Fantasia tore us to shreds. If it were up to me I'd put Cutler in defence this week. Will be interesting to see what the coaches do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back