Essendon Premiers 2013-15?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you watched this game. Franklin played a role.

Yes he played the role of CHF & was beaten by the guy playing the role of CHB. Was thats hard for you to understand is anyones guess.

in grand finals his team probably wouldn't have made without him.

Based on what exactly? They still managed to finish top 3 with Riewoldt missing most of the season. I'm not suggesting he's not a great player but again Stkidla have highlighted that their midfield is their strongest area 7 thats what got them to the GF.

You claim the roos team had a dominant era not because of Carey but because of their midfield? If you could choose a player at their peak to add to our side out of Carey, Archer, Stevens, Grant, Bell or Harvey to add to our team you'd choose.... someone other than Carey?

I'm saying Carey in our side would not lead us to premierships as we don't have the midfield capable of supporting him. I'm also pointing out that despite Carey being the most high profile he was not the only good player in that side & in fact they had a very strong midfield group. You either didn't know about North's midfied or had forgotten which is why you brought them up trying to claim them as a team that won without good mids.

Again, you clearly didn't watch 2008. Luke Hodge Centre Half Back and Norm Smith Medallist.

Make up your mind. One minute he played accross half back now he was CHB. If you honestly believe that Hodge played CHB then you are challenged. There's opinion & then there's the baseless stupidity that you've been spewing. Hodge played as a loose half back which if you knew ANYTHING about modern football you would know is an extension of teh midfield group. Hodge, like Goddard ae midfielders who play that role - they are not key defenders.

Could have sworn many of their midfield rotations are young kids taken since 2006. Again, I must be incorrect because it doesn't fit with your argument...

Simple question. Are Didak, Ball, Thomas, Swan & Pendelbury older than Ried & Brown? Thats why tehy were able to draft tall. Any danger you could actually address a point rather than trying to divert?

Again, you say we should take a mid simply because you think top 10 picks will be guns, and so if we take a midfielder he's got a chance to be a gun... right? David Myers says g'day.

I'm saying no matter who we take they are a risk. I think its time we took a risk on the possibility of getting a good mid rather than another risk on a ruckman.

BTW we took Myers because Knights wanted a running half back. Palmer was the mid we didn't target.

Seriously dude, go follow Carlton seeing as how their doing it right

Thats sums you up perfectly. Got nothing of substance so resort to a cheap baseless shot.

I've more hope invested in Zaharakis than the other 2. Just goes to show sometimes you can draft a key position player with a top ten pick and still get something for your midfield in the second round.

Agree

I have higher hopes for Zaharakis.

I do think that while Zorro, Milkshake (Zaharakis and Melksham) and Myers might not turn out to be 'elite', they are going to to all be very good midfielders.. It's too early to say who is going to come good or be the best overall, I'm just looking forward to the top quality football they give us over the next few years..
Howlett and Long also look to have some great potential..

In the centre square come round 1, i would love to see Watson, a bulkier Melksham, a super fit Myers coming off an injury free pre-season and a fired up Ryder ready to make the number one ruck spot his. Zaka, Jetta and Colyer buring down the wings, drilling it to Gumby on a long surging lead. Ok i have to stop its only October.

I agree what people are saying on zaka..can really be the poster boy for the EFC for the next decade. Can anyone tell me how is young longys disposal??

Yes he played the role of CHF & was beaten by the guy playing the role of CHB. Was thats hard for you to understand is anyones guess.

Again, not certain you remember the 08 final very well. Franklin played the same role as Lloyd in 2000. He lead wide, he dragged his opponent out of the action, and the rest of the team cashed in on this.

I'm saying Carey in our side would not lead us to premierships as we don't have the midfield capable of supporting him. I'm also pointing out that despite Carey being the most high profile he was not the only good player in that side & in fact they had a very strong midfield group. You either didn't know about North's midfied or had forgotten which is why you brought them up trying to claim them as a team that won without good mids.

You'd take Peter Bell then? Best to set up a midfield first. Forget Key position players like Carey, they can't do it alone and only let you down in the big games...

Make up your mind. One minute he played accross half back now he was CHB. If you honestly believe that Hodge played CHB then you are challenged. There's opinion & then there's the baseless stupidity that you've been spewing. Hodge played as a loose half back which if you knew ANYTHING about modern football you would know is an extension of teh midfield group. Hodge, like Goddard ae midfielders who play that role - they are not key defenders.

Then who do you think played CHB? I'm still not convinced we are talking about the same game... ? You did watch it, yeah? Does a Centre Half Back not play across Half Back? So, Centre Half Backs are midfielders now? Better add Hurley and Hooker to the conversation when we are talking about our midfield...

Simple question. Are Didak, Ball, Thomas, Swan & Pendelbury older than Ried & Brown? Thats why tehy were able to draft tall. Any danger you could actually address a point rather than trying to divert?

Ball hey. Missed that when they recruited him ahead of Brown Reid and Dawes.:confused: Knowing full well they would acquire Luke Ball in the 2009 AFL draft, Collingwood were afforded the luxury of drafting tall in 06? Truth be told they added Sidebottom, Beams, Ball, Wellingham and Blair after they drafted tall. And Didak is far more of a half forward flanker than a midfielder.

They had a core group you mention Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, drafted tall and then added to the midfield later.

Thats sums you up perfectly. Got nothing of substance so resort to a cheap baseless shot.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but as long as you are so hell bent on denying the flaws in your argument i don't feel compelled to offer you much respect.

If you're sold on then, they must be good! :p

(see stanton)will be the star of our midfield, IMO.

I'm just about as confident in him as I am Hurley.

Agreed.

Zaka is massively underrated even amongst Essendon supporters. He would receive much more admiration if he was a top ten pick.

Agreed. To the amusement of my mates I dubbed him the next Bartel......

DISCLAIMER: I don't often use the phrase "the next <insert star>"

His contested marking gets me hard*. Bartelesque.

*no homo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say he reminds me of Justin Blumfield with his style of play, but that wouldn't excite people as much, would it?

A soft outside mid who finds space?

I see Zaharakis as a fantastic mark overhead, never seems rushed, has a good footy head and is extremly confident in his own ability.

I agree with OB1 here.

I can't see any logical reason why we would draft yet another tall with our first pick this year. History shows that you can pick up decent ruckmen through later picks, rookies, and trading - just look at Collingwood, Geelong, and St Kilda, they all picked up their 1st rucks through trades.

If we're relying on our current group of younger mids (melksham, zaka, myers, jetta, colyer) to step up into genuine a-graders then we are taking a massive risk. Yes, some of them might get there and some have shown some real potential - but they are no way near it yet and we need to give ourselves the best chance of having an a-grader (preferably several) when our talls are fully developed. Using pick 8 on a mid achieves this because history shows that most gun mids are taken early.

I think we should be drafting the best available mid in not only 2010, but in the next several drafts. Put a gun midfield in Essendon and our KPs in defence and attack will reach another level. Just look at Collingwood this year now that their midfield has really stepped up. Who would've thought that Reid and Brown would have held the FB and CHB posts in a premiership side this time last year?

Less pressure on our defenders and more accurate (and increased) entry going into forward 50 = more wins. A good midfield will achieve this.

Again, not certain you remember the 08 final very well. Franklin played the same role as Lloyd in 2000. He lead wide, he dragged his opponent out of the action, and the rest of the team cashed in on this.
Now it makes perfect sense. You've got no idea about any game not just
the 08 GF. In what way was Lloyd a decoy in 2000? Now obviously no forward can or shoudl be the target of every forward movement but Lloyd played as he did most weeks. Lead out from the square, spent some time changing with Lucas & double backed on his leads. He was there in the square when our 1st was kicked & kicked 3 of his goals from with 20M. If thats playing a decoy then what do you consider playing as a genuine key position player?

You'd take Peter Bell then? Best to set up a midfield first. Forget Key position players like Carey, they can't do it alone and only let you down in the big games...

Forget Carey you are saying you would take Setanta over Judd or Dawson over Goddard. See its easy to just go off on stupid tangents.
You are the one who mentioned north stating that they won a flag without any good midfielders. When it was clearly pointed out how embarrassingly ignorant you were you keep trying to change your story or divert to something else.

Then who do you think played CHB? I'm still not convinced we are talking about the same game... ? You did watch it, yeah? Does a Centre Half Back not play across Half Back? So, Centre Half Backs are midfielders now? Better add Hurley and Hooker to the conversation when we are talking about our midfield...

Until injured it was Croad & then Gilham. If you think Hodge was CHB then Stokes must have been playing CHF for Geelong because that was Hodge's opponent. If you truely believe Hodge was CHB then thats a great example of not needing talls. If the best CHB of recent years is actually a 185cm midfielder then why are we drafting talls again? You really should think before you type again, not only are you being exposed for ignorance your undermining your own position with every post.

Ball hey. Missed that when they recruited him ahead of Brown Reid and Dawes.:confused: Knowing full well they would acquire Luke Ball in the 2009 AFL draft, Collingwood were afforded the luxury of drafting tall in 06? Truth be told they added Sidebottom, Beams, Ball, Wellingham and Blair after they drafted tall. And Didak is far more of a half forward flanker than a midfielder.

Simple question. Are Didak, Ball, Thomas, Swan & Pendelbury older than Ried & Brown? Thats why they were able to draft tall. Any danger you could actually address a point rather than trying to divert?

Remember that part? You couldn't even answer the question & went straight for the diversion.

BTW, Wellingham was the same draft as Ried & Brown. Can you at least try looking something up first?

They had a core group you mention Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, drafted tall and then added to the midfield later.

Yes thats right they built their midfield first. They used pick 3 on Didak, pick 2 on Thomas & pick 5 on Pendelbury. They are 3 of their 4-5 best mids with Swan & Ball. They targeted talls in 2006 only after trading their existing CHF to get the picks. We traded our mids & drafted tall in the drafts that followed. In the same period Collingwood were using those picks to build their midfield & then their talls we used picks 2,5,6,7 & 10 on talls. SPot the difference? Thats what has created the whole in our midfield. Maybe you can't see that through your ignorance but surely you can at the very least see the ladder positions we have finished in & ask yourself what went wrong?

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but as long as you are so hell bent on denying the flaws in your argument i don't feel compelled to offer you much respect

Flaws? You have provided nothing but ignorance & a reassurance that my position is completely justified. You can't even find 1 example & every time time I point out all the succesful sides you try to divert & come back with wild aspersion. I'm not asking for your respect but I would like you to at least be honest with yourself. Do you truely believe that the midfield isn't the most important part of the ground (if so then provides examples of why its not) or are you blindy backing the clubs position despite the obvious examples? Again thats a straight forward question that you keep avoiding.

I said blumfield, not
Buckley :p

Sorry, I was rederring to being a midfielder with outstanding overhead marking.

Watch some 2000 highlights; it's easy to forget how good he was, and looked to become.

He was one of my faves, Whomb (along with Dimma, Wellman & Hird)! :thumbsu:

Still, I'll never forget '96 prelim, had he filled the hole Lockett wouldn't have taken the mark and things might have been very different.

I said blumfield, not
Buckley :p

Sorry, I was rederring to being a midfielder with outstanding overhead marking.

Watch some 2000 highlights; it's easy to forget how good he was, and looked to become.

Blumfield was very stiff to miss out on the Norm Smith medal in the 2000 Grand Final.

Flaws? You have provided nothing but ignorance & a reassurance that my position is completely justified. You can't even find 1 example & every time time I point out all the succesful sides you try to divert & come back with wild aspersion. I'm not asking for your respect but I would like you to at least be honest with yourself. Do you truely believe that the midfield isn't the most important part of the ground (if so then provides examples of why its not) or are you blindy backing the clubs position despite the obvious examples? Again thats a straight forward question that you keep avoiding.

Rubbish. I have provided many examples that contradict your belief that "a cardboard cutout could get the job done". Lack of a quality tall forward cost the cats in 08. If they had an Alistair Lynch or a Johnno Brown we'd be talking about one of the greatest eras of all time. As it was they couldn't even go back to back.

You discount Sydney as an argument because you claim they had "superstars" in Goodes (yes) and Kirk (err no) and that Bolton is in your opinion underrated. Its not a very compelling case you put forward.

Hawthorn won a premiership due to rebound from the backline, they were smashed out of the center of the ground and lost the inside 50 count 43 to 62.

The Carey/North example is because you make the argument that North won the flag because of a gun midfield. Yet it is obvious that the guy responsible for North Melbourne's dominance was Wayne Carey, otherwise you'd pick a Bell or a King first.

You claim Collingwood to be a team built around a midfield which didn't even exist at the time. Luke Ball played for St Kilda, Sharrod Wellingham was taken in the rookie draft (yes thats right, after Reid, Brown and Dawes), and Sidebottom, Blair and Beams were children. Alan Didak is a Half forward flanker.

My argument is that you need good keys just as much as you need a good midfield to build a decent side that can plan on long term success. Like the Brisbane Lions. I also completely disagree with the "we need a x type of player with our first pick, it'll give him a better chance of being a gun..." argument, as it assumes guns must simply exist and its a matter of picking them.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, our most promising young midfielder was taken with a second round pick. And we managed to secure a gun key position player with our first pick. Take a look at the OP's side, and take Hurley out and throw Sidebottom (or whatever other mid tickles your fancy) in... Its pretty light on. Now, if for some reason one of those talls that is in the side doesn't make it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back