silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I wasn't sure whether I would do a preview so early before the game, but then I got a lovely message from Lore telling me she'd save me the Opening Post from the "unofficial" ones that were created.

And you know what, I'm happy about that! It's pretty clear there is a buzz around the place; even though the game is in two weeks, we are keen to talk about it. This is in stark contrast to the nervous but quiet optimism most of us had at the start of the season.

I can see it in the street, at work and amongst friends. Essendon supporters are okay with talking about Essendon again. No longer are we needing to do secret handshakes to confirm that person we are talking to is also an Essendon supporter before having a footy conversation, talk back is suddenly becoming more listenable and it's fun again to hear certain commentators' bitterness when talking nicely about our guys.

Excited Aussie Rules GIF by Essendon FC

Round 14 sees the team take a well-earned and in some cases much-needed break, and I reckon the boys will enjoy this one more than usual. (I don't mean they'll De Goey it)
Mr Bean Beach GIF by Working Title

Oh and by the way... this is the ladder at the moment.

1686528719450.png

Round 15 sees us back on the road again (*Cue Willie Nelson) to take on the Fremantle Dockers, in what will be a huge challenge... I quite like Fremantle as a football club, but I can't help but feel it's purely due to a combination of our favourable trade history combined with them funding the retirement of the fair few Essendon players.

Of course, the most infamous of these trades was in 1994, which saw Essendon snag Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas
The deal:

Freo Gave up pick No. 4 and a pre-draft compensation selection to Essendon.

Freo Received: Tony Delaney, Todd Ridley, Dale Kickett and Russell Williams.

Now Freo couldn't have known who we would select or how good they would be, but Lloyd and Lucas went on to play a combined 540 games and kick a combined 1397 goals.

The Round(s) That Was

We, like many before us, beat the scum. You know the team with the greatest forwards, the greatest backline, the greatest midfield... the team that were certainties for Top 4, and a flag fancy at the start of the season. The preseason hype for Carlton this year.. well it was Essendon-like, funny enough.

I was honestly worried we would lose this. I thought given the constant chatter that Carlton would come out firing and that we might buckle under the pressure. I was half correct. Carlton did come hard, but we stood strong.. and then in the third just went bang bang bang and in the space of 10 or so minutes the game was done.

Ice Cube Knockout GIF

Martin is a star! How good was Wright? Merret is a gun captain.

CARLTON 1.5 3.10 5.10 6.16 (52)
ESSENDON 2.4 4.6 11.7 13.8 (86)

GOALS
Carlton
: C.Curnow 2, Cincotta, Martin, McKay, Owies
Essendon: Wright 5, Menzie 2, Langford, Snelling, Merrett, Guelfi, Phillips, Caldwell

BEST
Carlton
: Cerra, Saad, C.Curnow, Walsh, Motlop
Essendon: Wright, Martin, Stringer, Ridley, Hobbs, Redman, Caldwell

INJURIES
Carlton
: Nil
Essendon: Nil

LATE CHANGES
Carlton
: Nil
Essendon: Andrew Phillips comes into the selected side for Massimo D’Ambrosio

SUBSTITUTES
Carlton
: Paddy Dow (replaced Jack Martin at three-quarter time)
Essendon: Massimo D’Ambrosio (replaced Sam Draper in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 83,638 at MCG

Hmm, there is something I've forgotten here... what could it be... oh right.. * Carlton.

<Will add Freo's game once they have played.. if I remember>

Last Time We Met

Round 5 2022 was a classic Rutten game; competitive for a half but came out after the halftime break and got belted in the third where Freo kicked 6 Goals to out Zero. Taberner of course had his annual day out against us kicking seven goals for the game. I will not miss the Rutten years.

ESSENDON 1.4 5.8 5.10 8.11 (59)
FREMANTLE 2.2 6.5 12.8 16.11 (107)

GOALS
Essendon:
Martin 2, Waterman 2, Caldwell, Cox, Draper, Guelfi
Fremantle: Taberner 7, Banfield 2, Darcy 2, Frederick 2, Switkowski 2, Brayshaw

BEST
Essendon:
Parish, McGrath, Heppell, Caldwell, Martin
Fremantle: Taberner, Brayshaw, Brodie, Darcy, Serong, Clark, O’Driscoll

Team Selection

Will be interesting again to see what changes are made to the team. The team has been playing bloody well, but we also have some good players coming back. Our VFL team also has a bye next week. The problem will be I don't want to see Caldwell and Hobbs out of the midfield rotations.

Possible Ins:
Shiel -
Parish -
Wanganeen -
Bryan - BOG in the VFL and took 8 Marks
Davey - Very good in the VFL
Baldwin - Another good game
Kelly

Possible Outs:
Mass - Needs a full game either in the seniors or at VFL level.
Draper - See how his hip goes
Phillips - Was solid but still think we should get some games intro Bryan
Weidemann - I think they will give him another game or two with Wright
Snelling - I see a lot suggesting him as an out, but his pressure and tackling were good, and I think more than made up for his few fumbles.

No reason to tip against us at the moment, though I think if we do win it will be hard-fought.

Essendon by 10 points.

Last edited:
Huge game

Im prepared to say if we win this were playing finals

Team is hard

In: Parish
Out: Phillips

Its either Phillips or Snelling. Snelling i thought was good for us and worked like a player playing for his spot. Defended like his live depended on it

Judging by how Brad Scott is talking about Draper, I don't think Phillips is going out any time soon.
Apparently Draper is struggling physically, as in sore.
He is sore

But we either play him or dont at optus.

He also said its the tallest side weve played all year

Jackson and Darcy maybe lend us to keeping the 2 rucks

Maybe Snelling misses

Snelling very fumbly.
If parish is right, there's one change

Draper + flip stay. But id drop weideman.
1- freo backline isnt huge
2 - they rebound good. Need to limit the opportunities

In: baldwin, parish
Out: snelling, weid

Ridley - zerk - lav
Redman - baldwin- mcgrath
Martin - caldwell - durham
Perkins - langford - guelfi
Menzie - Wright- stringer
Draper - merrett - parish
Hobbs - hind - heppell - flip
Hunter^

^Kid's only chance to play AFL in WA this year. Give it to him. In event the chance doesn't present itself again.

Snelling very fumbly.
If parish is right, there's one change

Draper + flip stay. But id drop weideman.
1- freo backline isnt huge
2 - they rebound good. Need to limit the opportunities

In: baldwin, parish
Out: snelling, weid

Ridley - zerk - lav
Redman - baldwin- mcgrath
Martin - caldwell - durham
Perkins - langford - guelfi
Menzie - Wright- stringer
Draper - merrett - parish
Hobbs - hind - heppell - flip
Hunter^

^Kid's only chance to play AFL in WA this year. Give it to him. In event the chance doesn't present itself again.
Were not bringing in a Def for a FWD

Humter has already played in WA this year

Also Zerrett could well be suspended imo but who knows

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Merrett will be rubbed out for this one. Agree with it or not, precedent has been set and there’s been softer ones given a week.

After what was a season defining win against the Blues we have some selection headaches with a few senior players likely ready to go for this game - namely Parish, Shiel & Kelly...
But who makes way? We also have Bryan and Baldwin in ripping form in the reserves, and young guns Davey, Cox & Tsatas who will no doubt feature at some stage in leading into this 2nd half of the season...
Freo are always tough over in Perth - and their season is on the line as they push for a top 8 position. But we, my friends, are pushing for a top 4 spot...!!!
Early call I will go;-

No Change..!!

Team;-

Ridley Zerk McGrath
Heppell Lav Redman
Martin Caldwell Durham
Stringer Langford Guelfi
Weideman 2MP Menzie

Draper Hobbs Merrett

Bench: Parkins Snelling Hind Phillips
SUB: Baldwin

Let Shiel and Parish have another week off to ensure they are fully fit and right to go as we push for finals

Last edited:
Surely Weideman needs a spell.

Interesting Brad Scott said in the presser they were basically nursing Draper into the bye and now won't play until he 100% .

Didn't sound too concerned, but they might give him an extra week off.

Surely Weideman needs a spell.

I don’t think so - he provided many leads against the Blues last night which in turn provided space for 2MP - 2MP said after the game that he loves playing with big Sam…

At this stage I’d have:

outs- Snelling, Hind
ins - Parish, Shiel

Ridley Margaret McGrath
Heppell Laverde Redman
Martin Stringer Durham
Perkins Langford Shiel
Weideman 2MP Menzie

Draper Hobbs Caldwell

Parish Merrett Guelfi Phillips
SUB: Hind

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weideman needs to go. Got into 2MP's space far too often and seems devoid of any confidence.

Nervous about the speed Freo have coming out of defence. Clark, Young and Walker could all hamper us. Pearce, Cox and Ryan are better defensively than Carlton too.

Flip was okay but it's time to give Bryan a go as the second ruck.

Out: Weideman, Phillips
In: Bryan, Baldwin

Laverde - Zerk-Thatcher - McGrath
Redman - Baldwin - Ridley
Martin - Caldwell - Durham
Snelling - Langford - Guelfi
Menzie - Wright - Stringer
Draper - Merrett - Hobbs
Perkins - Heppell - D'Ambrosio - Bryan
Hind

he provided many leads against the Blues last night which in turn provided space for 2MP

I thought everyone was saying the opposite was going to happen, that he'd get the 2nd defender now and kick more goals

2MP said after the game that he loves playing with big Sam…

What else do you think he'd say? He hates playing with him and he's s**t?

Weideman played a typical Weideman game. Hit up, took a few marks and created space behind. He was also not strong enough in many contests and could have grabbed a few more. His kicking is also completely out of sorts.

He won’t be dropped, but he needs to hit the scoreboard each week.

Weideman played a typical Weideman game. Hit up, took a few marks and created space behind. He was also not strong enough in many contests and could have grabbed a few more. His kicking is also completely out of sorts.

He won’t be dropped, but he needs to hit the scoreboard each week.

He isn't moving well at all though and can't kick for goal to save himself. ant555 mentioned he had a foot injury. Now that Wright is back I think it's time to shut him down and get his body right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back