Game Day Round 15: Fremantle v Essendon, Optus Stadium, Saturday June 24, 7.25pm AEST (5.25pm local)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round15.jpg

Form Line.jpg

FREMANTLE DOCKERS

It was an utterly relentless GWS outfit that smashed Freo off the park last week, and resulted in Freo's worst loss under Justin Longmuir.
The Dockers had no answer for GWS young gun Jake Riccardi, who slotted 5 goals along with Toby Greene's four to consign Freo to a shocking 70 point thumping.
Freo's opening term struggles continued with the Giants opening up a 23 point lead at the first change, and they never let the Dockers back into it from there.
The lack of imposing ruck monster Sean Darcy was obvious from the get go, with Freo losing the centre clearance count 16-6 and contested possessions 238-216.
The Dockers had few winners on the day, with Caleb Serong being one of them, finishing with 32 touches and a major, whilst Jordan Clark ended up with 22 touches as a rebounding half-back.
Nat Fyfe had a quiet week after a strong run of form, ending up with 15 touches and a goal.
This was a gut punch to the Dockers fading finals hopes, with their poor early season form coming back to haunt them. They will be fired up to deliver in a big way tonight.

GWS GIANTS 16.10 106
def.
FREMANTLE DOCKERS 5.6 36

BEST:
Serong, Clark, Brayshaw, Henry, Sturt
GOALS: Sturt 2, Walters, Fyfe, Serong

-----------

ESSENDON BOMBERS

Hahahahaha * CARLTON.
SUCKED IN, GET A DOG UP YA.
Two metre Peter gives me feelings that I've never had before. What a man. Months out with a busted shoulder and straight back in to kick 5 against the old enemy. Amazing.
Nick Martin! Cost us nothing, is looking like a dead cert for an AA position on the wing, and made Carlton look like absolute mugs. What more could you ask for?
That third quarter was a thing of beauty. It was like Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, and the original Star Wars merged together for half an hour of cinematic pleasure, and the result was the most perfect run of football imaginable. From trailing by 9, to leading by 39. In an instant.
Blues fans were left dumbfounded, Michael Voss was left speechless, and Harry McKay was left wondering how he forgot how to kick again.
The win boosted us up into 6th over the bye round, and with St Kilda's annual bed s**t well and truly under way, we have the chance to lock down 5th.
Sam Walsh had 35 touches and I didn't even notice.
Archie Perkins destroyed Patrick Cripps, who admittedly looks like he's injured after carrying this utter ballsack of a footy team for the past decade.
Caldwell, Hobbs, Redman, Ridley... Jeez the future is bright.
Can't wait for Mason and Darcy to sign on.
* Carlton.

* CARLTON 6.16 52
def. by
ESSENDON BOMBERS 13.8 86

BEST:
Martin, Wright, Stringer, Ridley, Hobbs
GOALS: Wright 5, Menzie 2, Langford, Snelling, Merrett, Guelfi, Phillips, Caldwell

Line Ups.jpg

Round15.jpg

FREMANTLE EMERGENCIES: Sam Sturt, Bailey Banfield, Nathan O'Driscoll, Karl Worner
ESSENDON EMERGENCIES: Nick Bryan, Nik Cox, Nick Hind, Massimo D'Ambrosio

FREMANTLE OUTS: Bailey Banfield, Nathan O'Driscoll, Sam Sturt (All omit)
FREMANTLE INS: Michael Frederick, Sean Darcy

ESSENDON OUTS: Massimo D'Ambrosio (Sub), Nick Hind (Omit), Sam Draper (Injured)
ESSENDON INS: Darcy Parish, Jake Kelly

-------

Sub to be chosen from the emergency list one hour prior to bounce.

Milestones.jpg

fred.jpg
Selection Table.jpg

Freo saw fit to drop three players from the utter demolition job that they suffered last week, with Banfield, O'Driscoll, and Sturt given the arse for the week with menacing ruck monster Sean Darcy back after a hamstring injury, whilst Michael Frederick has been named for his 50th game.

I entirely forgot that Bull Kelly was missing but I'm happy he's back, especially as we've looked a little undersized in defence for the past few games. Nick Hind continues to sit right on the fence of too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL, and joining him on said fence is old mate Massimo, who probably has one of the best kicks I've ever seen. Just doesn't get enough of it to use it as a weapon. Sam Draper has been playing hurt for the best part of a month and needs at least another week off to rest and relax, and finally, finally, the jet ball-winning skill of Darcy Parish is finally back in the seniors. Rumoured to be signing a new contract within the next week or two, it'll be great to have the All Australian back in the fold.

His contract had better include a clause that no-one ever calls him Rish ever again.

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 5, 2022
Marvel Stadium
17/4/22

ESSENDON BOMBERS 8.11 59
def. by
FREMANTLE DOCKERS 16.11 107

---------

ESSENDON GOALS: Waterman, Martin 2, Draper, Guelfi, Caldwell, Cox
FREMANTLE GOALS: Taberner 7, Darc, Switkowski, Banfield, Frederick 2, Brayshaw

ESSENDON BEST: Heppell, Parish, Kelly, McGrath
FREMANTLE BEST: Taberner, Brayshaw, Darcy, O'Driscoll, Lobb

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Smith, Shiel, Draper, Waterman, Cox, Cutler, Hind
ESSENDON INS: Stringer, Weideman, Snelling, Merrett, Langford, Menzie

FREMANTLE OUTS: Taberner, O'Driscoll, Lobb, Brodie, Acres, Aish, Mundy, Banfield, Colyer, Chapman, Tucker (Unused sub)
FREMANTLE INS: Henry, Treacy, Jackson, Amiss, Schultz, Fyfe, Erasmus, Johnson, O'Meara, Hughes

The Tip.jpg

Time to flip the script on those sides returning from the bye. Freo have been in a wretched run, and we need to keep the pressure on so that it continues and we can cement ourselves in 5th for this week. What a year it's shaping up to be!

Essendon by 16.

Last edited:

Freo are notoriously bad in wet weather, plus if Darcy is underdone it could help reduce their advantage in the ruck. Pretty confident with our midfield, but i'm curious how much time they will give fyfe there, you would think these conditions would suit him.

Freo are notoriously bad in wet weather, plus if Darcy is underdone it could help reduce their advantage in the ruck. Pretty confident with our midfield, but i'm curious how much time they will give fyfe there, you would think these conditions would suit him.
From the sounds of it, the weather has cleared up and it’s unlikely to rain during the game?

This playing like shite after the bye nonsense has got me a bit twitchy tbh, we better not front up with that BS tonight.

Anyone got an sense of what Brad's Norf teams played like after a break? I seem to recall his brother went alright for a while there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just switched on to see the massacre unfolding and saw Barrass go up for a spoil, feign some sort of pain that stopped him from getting back in the contest. If this were a close game there’s no way he would’ve leant on his haunches and watched Heeney glide by a few metres away to kick an uncontested goal. The lack of effort is staggeringly bad… from their leaders.

Just switched on to see the massacre unfolding and saw Barrass go up for a spoil, feign some sort of pain that stopped him from getting back in the contest. If this were a close game there’s no way he would’ve leant on his haunches and watched Heeney glide by a few metres away to kick an uncontested goal. The lack of effort is staggeringly bad… from their leaders.
It’s definitely a new low for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back