Preview Round 6: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Carrara, 11/07/2020 @ 7:40PM

Who won't have less points at the end of the game? (Who wins?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me put it this way. If we played Carlton right now, they would tear us a new one. That's where we're at. All your mob needs to do is turn up to the ground
Think GWS already made the mistake of taking North lightly. The reality of the competition is that if you dont show up with a high level of intensity and effort every week you are a good chance to lose no matter who you're playing

Think GWS already made the mistake of taking North lightly. The reality of the competition is that if you dont show up with a high level of intensity and effort every week you are a good chance to lose no matter who you're playing
Nah, that game was when we had a coherent gameplan and players were actually in form. Ah well, no point debating it. We'll see what happens Saturday

Nah, that game was when we had a coherent gameplan and players were actually in form. Ah well, no point debating it. We'll see what happens Saturday

What's going wrong for you guys? Can you pin point a cause? Is it injury or fitness or just a bit of everything?
I must admit last I saw of you guys was the GWS game so it's a bit surprising to read you not being confident.

The thing that shocked me about North on the weekend is why the hell they played Cunnington when he was so obviously nowhere near fit. I mean he was grimacing everytime he had to bend over. Frankly if he has that level of fitness I hope he plays vs us.

The thing that shocked me about North on the weekend is why the hell they played Cunnington when he was so obviously nowhere near fit. I mean he was grimacing everytime he had to bend over. Frankly if he has that level of fitness I hope he plays vs us.

I think JB commentating before start of play on ch7 gave an insight. He described how Cunnington will be like an old tractor (?) to start off but once warmed up will be ok. It was a big risk and probably a sign of a little desperation from North. I suppose he broke down before he warmed up enough.

What's going wrong for you guys? Can you pin point a cause? Is it injury or fitness or just a bit of everything?
I must admit last I saw of you guys was the GWS game so it's a bit surprising to read you not being confident.
Everything, mate. Everything. Injuries have definitely played a part. Skipper's out, Cunnington's out, Higgins is carrying a niggle, our second key forward Larkey (one of our most important players imo) has been out since the start of the season, Daw's out, our prized pick LDU can't get a run at it, our first choice back pocket is out, the list goes on.

We have a LOT of players out of form as well. Players that we usually rely on are stinking it up. The only experienced senior players who have actually held their own since the GWS game have been Tarrant, McDonald and Goldstein. Three senior players. The young guys are the ones taking risks and actually trying to create, not the senior players, and that's not good enough.

We also have no gameplan to speak of at the moment. Shaw's whole philosophy is built on manic pressure and capitalising on opposition turnovers, but our pressure has been really down the past few weeks. As a result, we've ended up lost both offensively and defensively and have been unable to find a way to goal. Averaged 7 goals in our last 3.

The club is at a very low ebb, and morale is s**t. Feels like a lifetime ago that we were 2-0. Will be very shocked if you don't run over the top of us.

Everything, mate. Everything. Injuries have definitely played a part. Skipper's out, Cunnington's out, Higgins is carrying a niggle, our second key forward Larkey (one of our most important players imo) has been out since the start of the season, Daw's out, our prized pick LDU can't get a run at it, our first choice back pocket is out, the list goes on.

We have a LOT of players out of form as well. Players that we usually rely on are stinking it up. The only experienced senior players who have actually held their own since the GWS game have been Tarrant, McDonald and Goldstein. Three senior players. The young guys are the ones taking risks and actually trying to create, not the senior players, and that's not good enough.

We also have no gameplan to speak of at the moment. Shaw's whole philosophy is built on manic pressure and capitalising on opposition turnovers, but our pressure has been really down the past few weeks. As a result, we've ended up lost both offensively and defensively and have been unable to find a way to goal. Averaged 7 goals in our last 3.

The club is at a very low ebb, and morale is sh*t. Feels like a lifetime ago that we were 2-0. Will be very shocked if you don't run over the top of us.

s**t mate that sounds crap, I had no idea the injuries were that bad. Par for the course for 2020 by the sounds, everything is crap.

I would say though that your team prides yourselves of being hard and the underdog, we played some pretty great pressure footy on the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if you boys get up for this one and it could be that spark. You don't have to win but if the effort and fire is there it can grow into something.

Obviously I hope the losing streak continues for at least one more week but chin up, at least we have some football back. We were pretty down last week after Carlton, one win has changed our moods pretty easily.

sh*t mate that sounds crap, I had no idea the injuries were that bad. Par for the course for 2020 by the sounds, everything is crap.

I would say though that your team prides yourselves of being hard and the underdog, we played some pretty great pressure footy on the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if you boys get up for this one and it could be that spark. You don't have to win but if the effort and fire is there it can grow into something.

Obviously I hope the losing streak continues for at least one more week but chin up, at least we have some football back. We were pretty down last week after Carlton, one win has changed our moods pretty easily.
Yep, that's very true. This whole year's just a shitshow, if there is a God he is one sadistic *. Cheers for the good wishes, let's hope that the other states don't do a Victoria with coronavirus and the season can be played out. Good luck for this week (not really) and the rest of the season.

I’m not going to write North off. They do get fired up for games against us. And you’d think they’d be looking to respond after the game against the Doggies too.

Hoping the boys are switched on against them. They show up expecting a win...we know what will happen then.

Hey guys. I've heard your team is staying at the Mantra in Southport. Is that the Mantra which is attached to the Southport Sharks? If so, that's a nice place to set up base. The Southport Sharks have very good facilities and is only about a 12 minute drive from Metricon Stadium. There also happens to be a university within a kilometre that has an aquatic centre that was used by the swimmers for the Commonwealth Games two years ago and the Comm Games athletes village within 2-3kms. The Gold Coast Titans training facilities are also about a kilometre away from the Sharks which includes the Parkwood Golf Course. I'm not sure if they'll be allowed to leave the hotel/training facilities but the beach is also about a 10-15 minute drive from the Sharks facility.

Not a bad place to set up base for the next month or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys. I've heard your team is staying at the Mantra in Southport. Is that the Mantra which is attached to the Southport Sharks? If so, that's a nice place to set up base. The Southport Sharks have very good facilities and is only about a 12 minute drive from Metricon Stadium. There also happens to be a university within a kilometre that has an aquatic centre that was used by the swimmers for the Commonwealth Games two years ago and the Comm Games athletes village within 2-3kms. The Gold Coast Titans training facilities are also about a kilometre away from the Sharks which includes the Parkwood Golf Course. I'm not sure if they'll be allowed to leave the hotel/training facilities but the beach is also about a 10-15 minute drive from the Sharks facility.

Not a bad place to set up base for the next month or so.

From memory, so take it with a grain a salt, we used to have some affiliation with the Southport Sharks. No idea what it actually amounted to (we had one with Man U too much to an equal serve of confusion and horror).

From memory, so take it with a grain a salt, we used to have some affiliation with the Southport Sharks. No idea what it actually amounted to (we had one with Man U too much to an equal serve of confusion and horror).
Redland Bombers were one of our affiliations.

They’ve said that you have to be in the hub from the start. So if their partner is pregnant and can’t come up they can’t stay in Melbourne and then leave after the baby is born. They’re either in or out.

Reason being most likely that the entire hub is under quarantine for 14 days, and anyone joining late resets the timer on everyone else.

Also the current theory is 5 games in the hub over 32 days. I’m guessing that’s something to do with the CBA. Not 8 weeks.

If it goes beyond 32 days then they could have a separate quarantine for a second group to go up, but we haven’t heard anything about that yet. It’s also an extra expense.

That is what I was implying - A second hub could be set up and there should not be a need to reset the timer if common sense is appliedd - After all you can't join the hub unless you are COVID free.

The club is at a very low ebb, and morale is sh*t. Feels like a lifetime ago that we were 2-0. Will be very shocked if you don't run over the top of us.

our fwdline is decimated now that Stringer is out.

will be interesting to see if we can actually kick a score.

think it will be closer then alot of people think.

our fwdline is decimated now that Stringer is out.

will be interesting to see if we can actually kick a score.

think it will be closer then alot of people think.
Well, it's gonna come down to who doesn't score the least. But you at least have some blokes who aren't completely out of form, unlike pretty much our entire forward line. Tipungwuti will have a day out. McKernan always punches above his weight against us. Townsend is a ridiculous mark for his size. Right there, that's three functional forwards that we don't have. It might be close-ish but it'd have to be a classic Essington performance for you to blow this one. Remember we don't have two of our best mids either.

Well, it's gonna come down to who doesn't score the least. But you at least have some blokes who aren't completely out of form, unlike pretty much our entire forward line. Tipungwuti will have a day out. McKernan always punches above his weight against us. Townsend is a ridiculous mark for his size. Right there, that's three functional forwards that we don't have. It might be close-ish but it'd have to be a classic Essington performance for you to blow this one. Remember we don't have two of our best mids either.

Not having Cunnington and potentially Higgins would make this an epic choke for Essendon to lose imo. The sad thing is no one would be surprised if North got up

Not having Cunnington and potentially Higgins would make this an epic choke for Essendon to lose imo. The sad thing is no one would be surprised if North got up
Yeah, I'm starting to get the vibe that there is the same pessimism about the team winning easily winnable games on this board as on the North board. I sympathise with you blokes in that you go for a team that you know might s**t the bed at any moment.

Yeah, I'm starting to get the vibe that there is the same pessimism about the team winning easily winnable games on this board as on the North board. I sympathise with you blokes in that you go for a team that you know might sh*t the bed at any moment.

To be fair I think all supporters remember the upset losses fairly well so it’s definitely a bit of confirmation bias.

To be fair I think all supporters remember the upset losses fairly well so it’s definitely a bit of confirmation bias.
True, but some teams have more of those upset losses than others. And some supporters have the luxury of knowing that their team is likely to turn up, not so much this year, which has been an absolute shitshow, but definitely in the past few years. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond, Bulldogs, all of them have been relatively consistent over the past couple of years, winning most of the games they should while dropping a few points here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back