Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's rubbish architecture and as better designed buildings go up around it, it looks worse and worse. The sort of stadium you could find in any two bit city in the world. It doesn't address the water at all which is bizarre.

I like the Ron senior option.

Just need the govt to change the legislation on foreign labour and their salaries will halve overnight.

And we'll have death tolls at construction sites well and truly surpassing road tolls, not to mention substandard buildings that at best will have a pile of ongoing issues, and at worst, will collapse at the first storm.

And we'll have death tolls at construction sites well and truly surpassing road tolls, not to mention substandard buildings that at best will have a pile of ongoing issues, and at worst, will collapse at the first storm.

LOL.

Do people die everywhere in the world building stadiums but not Australia?

And if quality is so poor relative to what Aussies can do why are so many people whinging about Etihad?

Except we're talking about the stadium, not all those things.

In respect of its geographical location and accessibility by car. All of those things I mentioned are absolute factors in the success or otherwise of the entire Docklands area.

The stadium itself as a building and a venue s fine. Except is should have pointed east-west.

Last edited:
I guess you won't also read that they get meal allowances every day, double time after 3.00pm, etc, etc. The point I was making is that construction of a new stadium will cost an arm and a leg.

They don't get meal allowances every day at all.

Double time - There's plenty of other industry's with penalty rates. Do you expect the only country in the world to provide a salary structure for their construction workforce?

What's the etc etc? RDO's? (They get deducted 4 hours a week pay and thus pay for it), Site Allowance? It's essentially paying for depreciation on their tools, clothes etc.

If you were asked to bring your own paper/ink/printer/laptop/seat/desk etc into work every day to stock would you want it partially paid for?

Double time - There's plenty of other industry's with penalty rates. Do you expect the only country in the world to provide a salary structure for their construction workforce?

What's the etc etc? RDO's? (They get deducted 4 hours a week pay and thus pay for it), Site Allowance? It's essentially paying for depreciation on their tools, clothes etc.

If you were asked to bring your own paper/ink/printer/laptop/seat/desk etc into work every day to stock would you want it partially paid for?
I couldn't find the latest data, but this is indicative FWIW
upload_2016-3-4_10-58-51.png

Most mining companies don't pay penalty rates any more it's all flat rates, as wages are getting pretty high now days they are slowly a thing of the past

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wheres the "skilled" construction workers? don't believe you can construct something without skilled ones.

graphic seems designed to insite
Could incite too!

I guess the 'carpenter' is representative of a skilled worker?

The whole point of this is to highlight that if the AFL or whoever went down the path, a new stadium will cost a hell of a lot because of labour costs. There is absolutely no denying that, despite what the likes of Pykie, say

Yep - especially in Asia and the Middle East
Could incite too!

The whole point of this is to highlight that if the AFL or whoever went down the path, a new stadium will cost a hell of a lot because of labour costs. There is absolutely no denying that, despite what the likes of Pykie, say

Well the current one was a huge cost in comparison to stadiums which have been built at the same time or since
Better tender for the demolition, there may be some gold plating hidden away somewhere

Could incite too!

A stadium would cost a hell of a lot?

What's "a hell of a lot?" Do you understand basic construction costs?

It's a project that would involve upgrading local transport, a huge civil undertaking and probably near on 2 years work for about 5,000 workers.

What do you expect, it to come in at $300-400 million? Etihad stadium's footings were dug in 1997, the tender awarded in 95/96, almost 20 years ago..... prices aren't comparable.

Perth's stadium will run just over $1b....

Levi's stadium (San Franciso 49ers home 65,000 capacity) - $2.6b AUD
AT&T Stadium (Cowboys stadium) - $1.95b AUD
Olympic Stadium London (60,000 seat) - $1.5b AUD
US Bank Stadium (Vikings stadium being built, 60,000 seater) - $1.3b AUD

LA Stadium is expected to cost around $3.6b AUD.

So how exactly is it, purely the labor component of Perth's new stadium that's clearly run it up to astronomical figures? There's a multitude of factors that dictate modern construction costs, labor is just a portion.

Last edited:
LOL.

Do people die everywhere in the world building stadiums but not Australia?

And if quality is so poor relative to what Aussies can do why are so many people whinging about Etihad?

1272107361991424870.jpg

A stadium would cost a hell of a lot?

What's "a hell of a lot?" Do you understand basic construction costs?

It's a project that would involve upgrading local transport, a huge civil undertaking and probably near on 2 years work for about 5,000 workers.

What do you expect, it to come in at $300-400 million? Etihad stadium's footings were dug in 1997, the tender awarded in 95/96, almost 20 years ago..... prices aren't comparable.

Perth's stadium will run just over $1b....

Levi's stadium (San Franciso 49ers home 65,000 capacity) - $2.6b AUD
AT&T Stadium (Cowboys stadium) - $1.95b AUD
Olympic Stadium London (60,000 seat) - $1.5b AUD
US Bank Stadium (Vikings stadium being built, 60,000 seater) - $1.3b AUD

LA Stadium is expected to cost around $3.6b AUD.

So how exactly is it, purely the labor component of Perth's new stadium that's clearly run it up to astronomical figures? There's a multitude of factors that dictate modern construction costs, labor is just a portion.
Etihad cost A$460 million to build, so my guess is that a new, smaller stadium won't be cheaper.

You quoted a stadium in London. Labour costs here are three or four times higher in Australia than in England. Why? EBA's, a trade-off for reduced industrial action, but the spin-off is escalated costs.

Na just keep Etihad aye. Docklands won't improve that much as an area if it's 'opened up' by demolishing it, and as someone else said, there is an absolutely massive station in the way anyway. And if you tear down Southern Cross...

It is also a fantastic, modern, relevant stadium and will continue being so until 2025 (that's less than ten years away; the newest stand at the 'G is that old and it's an Australian leading on). I don't see many benefits at all for knocking it down...

Etihad cost A$460 million to build, so my guess is that a new, smaller stadium won't be cheaper.

You quoted a stadium in London. Labour costs here are three or four times higher in Australia than in England. Why? EBA's, a trade-off for reduced industrial action, but the spin-off is escalated costs.

Rofl, where do people pull this s**t from, honestly?

A union carpenter in London is on around £20/h, which is $39 an hour. Do you honestly think Australian commercial tradies are on $120/$160 an hour?

It was completely cocked up.

Should it never be fixed because it cost money to build?

If somebody can come up with a relocation which delivers net benefit, why wouldn’t you do it?

Nobody can come up with a relocation that delivers net benefit.

I really dont see whats wrong with it apart from car access that relocation anywhere in Docklands wont fix...and the north south direction of the goals which is something we can live with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back