Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

What about this monstrosity ?
It should be first to go.

b88e3461-da37-4c8d-99d1-582a82e6f042.jpg

Is that a train station?

The roof was designed by a company that designed roller coasters. If you look at the roof from the air it looks something like the Swiss Alps.
It probably would be fun if you could get up there with a set of skis.

Station built by Labor who for whatever reason sealed the records of its construction for 50 years....not surprisingly around about the time they will all be dead or too senile to care about the mismanagement of funds that were involved in the building of this so called landmark.

Station built by Labor who for whatever reason sealed the records of its construction for 50 years....not surprisingly around about the time they will all be dead or too senile to care about the mismanagement of funds that were involved in the building of this so called landmark.

This isn't uncommon now

New rules in govt procurement mean pretty much all tenders are considered open to public review once successful

Tenders however can apply to have details of their tender remain confidential if they can make a case for cause.

Just in my experience with Vic govt, this lock would have been proposed by the tenderer

There's weight limits, which drastically devalues the land to developers.
Doesn't need to be anything bigger there than that Fed Square complex. That was built the same way wasn't it? Hell, even just a park area is enough to "open" up the city.

This isn't uncommon now

New rules in govt procurement mean pretty much all tenders are considered open to public review once successful

Tenders however can apply to have details of their tender remain confidential if they can make a case for cause.

Just in my experience with Vic govt, this lock would have been proposed by the tenderer

Given the over budgeting in the MYKI debacle by both Batchelor and Kosky it would not surprise me to find out down the track that funds from this project were mismanaged big time.
For $1.5 billion Dubai built the Burj Khalifa, 829 metres tall, we built a ticketing system which still is not perfect.....

Can imagine the Andrews govt building a new football stadium somewhere, three times the cost plus compensation for all the workers who had accidents cause they turned up pissed or stoned cause building site drug and alcohol testing has been removed.

Given the over budgeting in the MYKI debacle by both Batchelor and Kosky it would not surprise me to find out down the track that funds from this project were mismanaged big time.
For $1.5 billion Dubai built the Burj Khalifa, 829 metres tall, we built a ticketing system which still is not perfect.....

Can imagine the Andrews govt building a new football stadium somewhere, three times the cost plus compensation for all the workers who had accidents cause they turned up pissed or stoned cause building site drug and alcohol testing has been removed.

That is a completely stupid argument

buildings are something based upon digging, materials, and engineering. Even with the usual over runs, you know what you are in for (for the most part)

software is another story completely. Our mistake with myki was not understanding the complexity of our network and pricing structure. Most of the myki issues were about monitoring log on/off time differentials (esp with trams). All that would have gone if we adopted the HK approach to pricing (you pay for the length of trip, not the time). Problem is voters are idiots and that was a non-negotiable.

Plus all those strikes by the unions

buildings are something based upon digging, materials, and engineering. Even with the usual over runs, you know what you are in for (for the most part)

software is another story completely. Our mistake with myki was not understanding the complexity of our network and pricing structure. Most of the myki issues were about monitoring log on/off time differentials (esp with trams). All that would have gone if we adopted the HK approach to pricing (you pay for the length of trip, not the time). Problem is voters are idiots and that was a non-negotiable.

Yep when Labor promises MYKI will cost around 4 times less then it turned out to be a lot of people were quick to believe. Should have bought a system in from overseas, but nah much easier to re-invent the wheel :drunk:
Gee, imagine if they promised to build a new stadium, $1 billion dollars it will cost....oh wait 2 billion...nah 3 billion :p

Yep when Labor promises MYKI will cost around 4 times less then it turned out to be a lot of people were quick to believe. Should have bought a system in from overseas, but nah much easier to re-invent the wheel :drunk:
Gee, imagine if they promised to build a new stadium, $1 billion dollars it will cost....oh wait 2 billion...nah 3 billion :p

you are aware Etihad (and most likely any replacement) is a private stadium - no govt dollars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could, you know, simplify the system totally by not worrying about distances and touch-offs. Just a flat fee based on the time of day you're travelling (eg. peak or non-peak times).

Adelaide converted to a card system for buses, trains and trams pretty seamlessly a couple of years back (the bus system here is probably as dense and wide-ranging as the Melbourne train network, possibly even moreso). Pretty laughable how needlessly intricate and difficult the Melbourne system is by comparison.

should have gone the NYC method. buses and trains are $2.75. thats it. it makes ticket buying and the ticketing system extremely easy. have you paid $2.75. yep. sweet. get off where you want.

you shouldn't need a PhD in applied maths to buy a ticket to somewhere.

should have gone the NYC method. buses and trains are $2.75. thats it. it makes ticket buying and the ticketing system extremely easy. have you paid $2.75. yep. sweet. get off where you want.

Personally I love that, but inner city voters would destroy you

Once you get a Myki transport in Melbourne is only $3.80 for 2 hours unlimited travel then capped at $7. Pretty much the same system just with Windows 98 software. It's ridiculously cheap. You can go on a VLine train to Lara for same price as CBD to St Kilda.

I thought the biggest issue was going with someone who had no experience in designing such a system and wasn't even the lowest tender. Yet the people awarding the tender happened to have shares in which company?

I thought the biggest issue was going with someone who had no experience in designing such a system and wasn't even the lowest tender. Yet the people awarding the tender happened to have shares in which company?

Not really

Our billing system is more complex than most other carded networks, and the govt massively underestimated the mess that would cause

Also trams were a problem because the designers didn't realise their periodically lose connection to the power lines. After lots of failed work arounds they ended up going to a more expensive battery based solution

Once you get a Myki transport in Melbourne is only $3.80 for 2 hours unlimited travel then capped at $7. Pretty much the same system just with Windows 98 software. It's ridiculously cheap. You can go on a VLine train to Lara for same price as CBD to St Kilda.
How is that a good and fair thing?! How often do you go to Lara or catch a V-line in comparison to the short trips you do around your home and work and CBD? It's ludicrous. I like the above suggestion of paying for the amount of stops you go on. That's the fairest way. Some people live five stops away from the free tram zone and others at the very end of the line – why should you pay the same amount? Either the person going the long distance is getting under-cost tickets, or the person going on the short ride is subsidising other people's longer journeys.

It's ludicrous.

You don't pay the same amount for 10 more litres of fuel.

It's like paying the cost of a flight to London, for a flight to Sydney. Or having people fly to JFK for the price of a ticket to Perth domestic.

I've never understood why this doesn't piss more people off.

Not really

Our billing system is more complex than most other carded networks, and the govt massively underestimated the mess that would cause

Also trams were a problem because the designers didn't realise their periodically lose connection to the power lines. After lots of failed work arounds they ended up going to a more expensive battery based solution
Yeah I think the two things combined caused the blowout. An inexperienced developer with an extremely complicated system.

Agreed. Covering the area highlighted in blue seems like the logical change to "open up" the Docklands. Although, I am not a city planner, just a dreamer.

lQXlmkE.jpg

How good was just an open plan park be in the blue area!
Would remind me of something very Central Park New York style!
Strolling back home through the park after the footy on a cold winters night
Lunch breaks in in the park
A massive open area for Events!
This could become an icon of Melbourne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How good was just an open plan park be in the blue area!
Would remind me of something very Central Park New York style!
Strolling back home through the park after the footy on a cold winters night
Lunch breaks in in the park
A massive open area for Events!
This could become an icon of Melbourne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can stroll through a park en route to the G.

There's that one (Fitzroy), Carlton, and Flagstaff gardens all littered on the border of the CBD. They're good for lunch breaks and the last two are littered with office workers at 1pm. They're well patronised by backpackers and young punks with paper bagged beers in the arvs too. So I don't think it's really badly needed.

The biggest thing is that no way will multi-million dollar land be chucked away for a park. No way. Everyone is just going to point towards Flagstaff Gardens.

This whole 'unlocking' Docklands thing is mostly s**t. People find the walk down to Southern Cross inane enough. We don't have a city massive enough to constitute anything but residences down there anyway... you can't have thriving shops and entertainment districts all over the place. I just don't think Docklands'll be massive until the population bumps up another 500,000. You're just not going to make it substantially more attractive by knocking down the stadium – and only marginally more attractive than that with a nice green space.

Plus Etihad won't be demolished. Just won't.

you left out union strikes:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back