Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still feel like the train lines are the bigger divider than the stadium. It has always felt disconnect because of that.

For a bit of a visual guide. Docklands is bordered by the yellow lines.

6a6pUE9P.png

What needed to happen was for the CBD to be more naturally extended down to the waterfront. That would involve sinking the train lines redeveloping everything along what is now Harbour Blvd, to create a destination. As it stands, the trains and Etihad are one enormous obstacle that are very difficult and time consuming to traverse. Lonsdale St etc should be able to extend all the way to the water to create new city blocks. Can’t happen with the stadium there.

At lease some people get it.

At lease some people get it.
Yep when they rebuilt Spencer St station the tracks should have been sunk below road level, until rising on approach to Flinders st station, also removing the 19th century viaducts with the Hoddle grid except for Lonsdale St extended into Docklands and Docklands Stadium built North-South between Bourke and LaTrobe St and new gardens built on decking over the rail tracks bordered by the stadium, Spencer, Bourke and La Trobe. With the Aquarium located in the Docklands precinct instead of in the way wrapped around the rail viaducts on the north bank of the Yarra.

I.E. the area between Bourke and La Trobe Between Spencer St and the water should have been public space with no buildings except for the stadium.

Melbourne just needs less clubs and one stadium, the MCG.

Melbourne footy fans don't want the indignation of going to a 'second' venue so just give them one and less teams playing in it.

Solves multiple problems.:)

We play at the "second" venue and I don't mind it.

What some people can't seem to get their heads around is this isn't a debate about the stadium itself - it's about the Docklands area and how completely cocked up the planning of it was.

We play at the "second" venue and I don't mind it.

What some people can't seem to get their heads around is this isn't a debate about the stadium itself - it's about the Docklands area and how completely cocked up the planning of it was.

The thread is about Etihad Stadium somehow disappearing in the next 10 years.

Even if the development of the Docklands area was poorly planned the stadium isn't going anywhere.

bury Spencer street station and you open up the docklands area by merging it to the grid, as well as give yourself billions in new CBD land to develop on/open up new parkland.

The stadium has nothing to do with it, anyone with a map can see this. And by pretending it does, Doyle shows just how much of a land developer whore he is. He epitomizes the reason why the docklands are such a *up to begin with.

Yep when they rebuilt Spencer St station the tracks should have been sunk below road level, until rising on approach to Flinders st station, also removing the 19th century viaducts with the Hoddle grid except for Lonsdale St extended into Docklands and Docklands Stadium built North-South between Bourke and LaTrobe St and new gardens built on decking over the rail tracks bordered by the stadium, Spencer, Bourke and La Trobe. With the Aquarium located in the Docklands precinct instead of in the way wrapped around the rail viaducts on the north bank of the Yarra.

I.E. the area between Bourke and La Trobe Between Spencer St and the water should have been public space with no buildings except for the stadium.
Yeah the aquarium makes it pretty difficult now. Plus sinking the rail alongside the river would be difficult to say the least.

If you wanted to improve things in the docklands now you really need to improve the Bourke and Latrobe connections over the rail. Trams need to be going across there to make it easier for people getting there

Yeah true, i should of said docks, but i wouldn't feel safe under there.
Its fine, I mean the rail lines are already below the ground level, they just need to be dropped by another 2-3m and you can deck over them and then put something on top, i.e. a garden/park. Maybe even have a few pubs up there with beer gardens or whatever. I reckon it would be awesome

I wasn't aware that there was a river going along Spencer street or between etihad and the rail lines? Sure maybe along Flinders street but that's not where I was talking about
If you are sinking the lines at Southern Cross that pretty much locks you into sinking the lines at Flinders St station as well. There is only so much grade changes you can put train lines through and they have to be flat at the station. You then have to consider getting under all of Flinders St, Spencer St, Kings Way, William St and Queensbridge. Add in the Aquarium and the river and its a crazy difficult project. Probably at least the cost of Melbourne Metro or East-West link and the problem of cutting off a lot of the city to the south. It would be a great to happen but just not plausible sadly.

Just building over the lines north of Southern Cross would be easier and if you parked it over and got an easy pedestrian connection from Lonsdale it would vastly improve the area

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just building over the lines north of Southern Cross would be easier and if you parked it over and got an easy pedestrian connection from Lonsdale it would vastly improve the area
Agreed. Covering the area highlighted in blue seems like the logical change to "open up" the Docklands. Although, I am not a city planner, just a dreamer.

lQXlmkE.jpg

If you are sinking the lines at Southern Cross that pretty much locks you into sinking the lines at Flinders St station as well. There is only so much grade changes you can put train lines through and they have to be flat at the station. You then have to consider getting under all of Flinders St, Spencer St, Kings Way, William St and Queensbridge. Add in the Aquarium and the river and its a crazy difficult project. Probably at least the cost of Melbourne Metro or East-West link and the problem of cutting off a lot of the city to the south. It would be a great to happen but just not plausible sadly.

You'd have to sink them though at least another meter, I know they're below ground level but you need clearance. Also you'd have to build support columns for the decking anyway so a large reshuffling of the lines would be required, or at least the removal of some lines. Might as well sink them as well and do it properly. Also you wouldn't need to sink the Flinders street part, just have it go down to a lower point. Would only have to increase the slope gradient ever so slightly.

You'd have to sink them though at least another meter, I know they're below ground level but you need clearance. Also you'd have to build support columns for the decking anyway so a large reshuffling of the lines would be required, or at least the removal of some lines. Might as well sink them as well and do it properly. Also you wouldn't need to sink the Flinders street part, just have it go down to a lower point. Would only have to increase the slope gradient ever so slightly.
Yeah I'm really not sure what clearances the rail needs there. Especially the diesels? But remember if you are only sinking the Southern Cross bit then they go into the climb for the Flinders section it might be just too much. Again I can't remember what the maximum slope is that the trains can handle

Then why play any day games there, FFS ?
Just bulldoze the mistake. An abortion of an idea for new ground, built for wrong reasons from start and the legacy of Wayne Jackson as president.

They should just play night games for AFL and get some more cash out of it by using it for other events IMO.

Why bulldoze it, more wasted money. Spend the money on hospitals and utilize this stadium better.

The problem isn't the stadium but the disconnection of the entire space from the cbd.

The disconnect is a really ******* ugly and large set of rail lines. There aren't really any other connections to wider Melbourne. There is nothing you can put where the stadium is that would improve the situation without fixing the rail line problems.

Darling harbour in Sydney is heavily and easily connected to the CBD. Southbank in Melbourne also heavily and easily connected.

So putting the station and all the lines underground would be the ideal solution, then the docklands becomes an extension of the cbd. With Collins, Bourke and la Trobe streets leading into area. The stadium just becomes a big building. Activate the street level around it and it's no different to any other large building. But that would cost very very serious money, double digit billions of dollars. But until it's done the docklands will remain remote with an ugly barrier whether the stadium is there or not.

Melbourne just needs less clubs and one stadium, the MCG.

Melbourne footy fans don't want the indignation of going to a 'second' venue so just give them one and less teams playing in it.

Solves multiple problems.:)

A few might, but it still pulls an average of ~30K per match, even with though most of the bigger games in Melbourne are played elsewhere.

It's clearly not THAT unpopular.

The Lord Mayor wanting it gone is about city planning, not popularity.

Agreed. Covering the area highlighted in blue seems like the logical change to "open up" the Docklands. Although, I am not a city planner, just a dreamer.

lQXlmkE.jpg

What you're talking about can be done. Just like the Plans to Develop Fed Square East as shown below. Won't happen for any foreseeable future. Not sure why though. Seems like the city could cash in financially while making the city better if sold to the right development.

20140825-birrarung-marr-12.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back