Oppo Camp Ex-Cats Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a good player at that level and a good citizen so i like it but i do think we need to sign a couple of decent defenders and a more inside mid for the vfl squad (unless atkins goes into that role) those look like the areas we are thin to me.

He is a good player at that level and a good citizen so i like it but i do think we need to sign a couple of decent defenders and a more inside mid for the vfl squad (unless atkins goes into that role) those look like the areas we are thin to me.
IIRC, he was close to bog in that final v Swans at the G, but a week later, did what our team did, disappeared in Adelaide.
He has real ability.

IIRC, he was close to bog in that final v Swans at the G, but a week later, did what our team did, disappeared in Adelaide.
He has real ability.

He really didnt kick on at carlton which surprised me but i agree he has talent.

We traded him for miers too which was good for us.

We can all linger on the harsh side of players at times, more so 1st round picks. Expectations are heightened. The truth is they are regardless of our opinions very, very good players. In the top 1%. I am very grateful that Lang has agreed to play for the Cats VFL. I wish him well. He will bring some hard learnt experiences to the team and the younger players ie your window to maximise your talent is potentially limited so work hard and improve.

Pleased he's come 'home'. However he's a very good VFL player and little more IMO.

Having Atkins on the list our list has somewhat lowered the bar. Hard to judge Lang given that he did * all in his three years at Carlton but he good for us, can't knock 15 touches, 5 tackles and half a goal a game as a HFF, if Atkins or Close were getting those numbers we'd be thrilled. We'll be able to see up close if he still has it.

Having Atkins on the list our list has somewhat lowered the bar. Hard to judge Lang given that he did fu** all in his three years at Carlton but he good for us, can't knock 15 touches, 5 tackles and half a goal a game as a HFF, if Atkins or Close were getting those numbers we'd be thrilled. We'll be able to see up close if he still has it.
Atkins brought to the table something we lacked - pace and pressure. Neither of which are Darcy's strengths.

Darcy has had 7 years to make a case and he wasn't sought by any AFL club when the Blues said toodle-oo.

I'd like to see him make something of what's left of his career but it's more in hope than faith.

Atkins brought to the table something we lacked - pace and pressure. Neither of which are Darcy's strengths.

Darcy has had 7 years to make a case and he wasn't sought by any AFL club when the Blues said toodle-oo.

I'd like to see him make something of what's left of his career but it's more in hope than faith.

I don't see how anyone can look at Atkins and think pace, he looks like he is running in concrete shoes. He is certainly very fit and willing to chase, but that should be the bare minimum. In baseball Sabermetrics they have a concept of replacement player from the minor leagues, when I think of the VFL equivalent I think of guys like Atkins. Fit, wins a decent amount of the ball on the inside but very vanilla not particularly skilful with the ball, lacking in any outstanding or even being mediocre in traits like size, pace, composure or goal sense. Every year more than a 100 players in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL who fit those criteria play good football but don't get drafted.

I liked Lang cause he had shown many of these. Lang is quicker than Atkins and averaged nearly twice as many tackles in his last year for us that Atkins does currently so I don't buy any argument that he couldn't do that role successfully. I don't know why he didn't make it at Carlton by 24 as he was looking good for us at 22. We'll be able to get an answer up close. I see an opportunity rather then having an expectation.

Some of us are old enough to remember Shifter running around Kardinia Park in the hoops.
Yep. If memory serves he was to play his 50th game out at Waverley but the coach (Goggin?) pulled him from the team at the last minute because of conditions. So banner had his name on it for his 50th game...but he didn't play. :D

I don't see how anyone can look at Atkins and think pace, he looks like he is running in concrete shoes. He is certainly very fit and willing to chase, but that should be the bare minimum. In baseball Sabermetrics they have a concept of replacement player from the minor leagues, when I think of the VFL equivalent I think of guys like Atkins. Fit, wins a decent amount of the ball on the inside but very vanilla not particularly skilful with the ball, lacking in any outstanding or even being mediocre in traits like size, pace, composure or goal sense. Every year more than a 100 players in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL who fit those criteria play good football but don't get drafted.

I liked Lang cause he had shown many of these. Lang is quicker than Atkins and averaged nearly twice as many tackles in his last year for us that Atkins does currently so I don't buy any argument that he couldn't do that role successfully. I don't know why he didn't make it at Carlton by 24 as he was looking good for us at 22. We'll be able to get an answer up close. I see an opportunity rather then having an expectation.
Good post.
Just as a side issue, Carlton seem very happy with Lachie Fogarty.
Where did you see him in the fitness and skill areas, and should we have persevered with him, or is he limited?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post.
Where did you see him in the fitness and skill areas, and should we have persevered with him, or is he limited?

I dont know what happened to Lang at Carlton - but i thought he had alot more going for him than Fogarty

Lang played some good games for the Cats - i thought he had more talent than Dalhouse and Atkins - but allways seemed to get injured at the wrong time

By the way - on the same pattern as Lang coming back to Geel vfl - whats happened to Dean Gore - he also came back - then unfortunately did his knee - then weve had the pandemic - is he still with Geel vfl

He seemed a likeable bloke

I dont know what happened to Lang at Carlton - but i thought he had alot more going for him than Fogarty

Lang played some good games for the Cats - i thought he had more talent than Dalhouse and Atkins - but allways seemed to get injured at the wrong time

By the way - on the same pattern as Lang coming back to Geel vfl - whats happened to Dean Gore - he also came back - then unfortunately did his knee - then weve had the pandemic - is he still with Geel vfl

Fog has a lot more upside than Lang and offers more flexibility. That said, the Blues have quite some depth with their smalls so getting ones games will take quite some work.

Gore went back to Sturt (SANFL).

Good post.

Teams are generally happy at this point of the offseason when they recruit a player. Unless they turn up 5 kgs overweight or have an off field indiscretion then they become a prime candidate for puff pieces. If he is selected early as a pressure forward then we know he won't have a long career at Carlton. They seem to recycle a mature player into that role every couple of years. But if he is a first choice inside mid, a starts getting 20 touches a game a couple of clearances, then people will be wondering why we gave him away even though he was never going to get that kind of opportunity with us. I don't expect him to get it at Carlton either, he is early pick for us which we like to hand hold but an average pick for them and won't get that VIP experience.

He had a few moments in close particular around centre bounces but he is never going to be close to first choice in that role, so he has to provide something on the outside, his 45 metre kick and lack of scoring threat really kills him. Parfitt does what he does and has similar flaws but with some agility around the contest. Simpson has a similar advantage over Fogarty, probably with an 80k cheaper contract too. The Dahlhaus recruitment also limited his opportunities, as you need something to compliment his limited attributes, more of the same just makes your forward line becomes really unthreatening.

Players with subpar attributes can become develop into top tier players, they just need to have a really high footy IQ, which is something that's hard to judge until they're at AFL level. All a club can do is pump games into their most promising kids and see what happens for a while Fogarty was one of them, pre-draft he was billed to have speed and agility, but never really showed it while playing for us, I think he had OP. In any case it is easy to see why he was seen as expendable, compared to what we already had on the list and why they had no issue using him for a salary cap dump/pick upgrade to get Higgins.

Last edited:
Fog has a lot more upside than Lang and offers more flexibility. That said, the Blues have quite some depth with their smalls so getting ones games will take quite some work.

No cant agree with that

Not that i could careless - because i dont think there is any loss at all to Geel with him departing - thats how i purely look at it- but i wish him well

Geel have had a stack of players who have gone to weak and/or weaker clubs- and most have been delisted within 2 years - thus i think Fogarty has taken a risk going to Carl - in 2 years time his AFL career might be over

If he had stayed at Geel - he might have got 2-3 years - - and then at that point if he hadnt cemented a spot - then teams like Carl StK Ess might have come calling and given him another 2-3 years

No cant agree with that

Not that i could careless - because i dont think there is any loss at all to Geel with him departing - thats how i purely look at it- but i wish him well

Geel have had a stack of players who have gone to weak and/or weaker clubs- and most have been delisted within 2 years - thus i think Fogarty has taken a risk going to Carl - in 2 years time his AFL career might be over

If he had stayed at Geel - he might have got 2-3 years - - and then at that point if he hadnt cemented a spot - then teams like Carl StK Ess might have come calling and given him another 2-3 years
Think my post substantially agrees with what you are getting at ie Forgarty is no sure thing to succeed at the Blues. In my view that has a lot to do with the Blues plentiful number of smalls. There are a couple who couldn't get regular outings with their AFL side last year that may well have with us. And they've added more depth this year.

My point really was a comparison with Lang.

After all the years of trade speculation he finally did it, signing with a WA side

- Following his 280 AFL game career with Geelong, Taylor will take charge of the Mid West program, mentor the Senior leaders and work with our talls.

- “Based in the Mid West, Harry will help further develop our programs up there - not only through our junior pathway but through the GNFL competition as well. He will work closely with Matthew Jupp and Jarrad Jansen as well as spend time with our young developing talls when he’s down in Perth.”

After all the years of trade speculation he finally did it, signing with a WA side

- Following his 280 AFL game career with Geelong, Taylor will take charge of the Mid West program, mentor the Senior leaders and work with our talls.

- “Based in the Mid West, Harry will help further develop our programs up there - not only through our junior pathway but through the GNFL competition as well. He will work closely with Matthew Jupp and Jarrad Jansen as well as spend time with our young developing talls when he’s down in Perth.”

Harry went home, not Perth.
Footy up that way will be the winner.

Cocky yet to miss a session up at Brisbane, apparently.

Didn't miss any/many sessions in his last few months with us either. But still apparently wasn't that close to playing in the seniors.

Injury or otherwise, I'll be surprised if he appears in more than 10 AFL games for Brisbane in 2021. It's actually a long way back after virtually three full seasons out of senior football. And it's actually closer to four full seasons since he played any more than two games in a row at AFL level. With his all-time best for consecutive games of footy standing at six.

After six seasons in the system for a return of 34 games (featuring two matches in total over the past three seasons), I'm not sure something as simple as a change of scenery is going to supply Nakia the durability his footy career needs.

Cocky yet to miss a session up at Brisbane, apparently.
He was injury free down here for pretty much the whole season. Had a slight hamstring during pre-season? And that was it.

Didn’t get picked. It will be interesting to see if he stays injury free wether he is a good player or not.

People talked up Linc, but he’s shown that he is a very average player. Averaged 9 disposals and less than a goal a game. 0.4 goal assists. Very ho hum. I’m surprised he played so many games for the lions without being dropped. He had a couple of good games to start the year, then went missing for most of the season.

He was also injury free when he left here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back