Eye Rolling Movie Tropes

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it incredible, according to Hollywood, that all the UFO's and Aliens from other universes/galaxies/star systems, which are light years away travel to earth and ALWAYS arrive in the USA...!!!
It sort of dispels the belief they are of super advanced intelligence and technology as surely they would undertake some basic due diligence prior to arrival and target and threaten a continent or county 'that doesn't' possess a large military presence with nuclear weapon capabilities, i.e. Africa or Australia....?

I can only surmise that if Hollywood had them arriving elsewhere on the planet then the usual conclusion in the plot with the 'USA saving the world' may not be possible....

The Daleks seem to be an exception, whenever they visited Earth with ambitions of conquest they always went to England. Given that their attempts to conquer the Earth from England always failed and that their nemesis Doctor Who was usually there when on Earth, you'd think they might have tried to invade through another country once in a while.

An interesting case is the Kryptonian supervillains General Zod, Ursa and Non from Superman II. When they arrive on Planet Houston and begin exploring their new surroundings they are in rural Texas, but in fact these scenes were actually filmed in England, not America. When Zod encounters a police car for the first time and is impressed by flashing red lights that remind him of the Krypton sun but not nearly so impressed by the irritating noise of the siren before ordering the police to 'make way', only two people in the scene - the Sherriff and Jack O'Halloran who plays Non - are American, the others are all from the UK.

The Daleks seem to be an exception, whenever they visited Earth with ambitions of conquest they always went to England. Given that their attempts to conquer the Earth from England always failed and that their nemesis Doctor Who was usually there when on Earth, you'd think they might have tried to invade through another country once in a while.
The Daleks invaded Manhattan at one point

This isn't necessarily "eye rolling", but one I realised after watching The Map of Tiny Perfect Things.

In indie films, often coming of age ones, there is often a scene with two characters on a bike riding together, shot from in front to show their faces.

If it's not already on the internet, it would make an interesting compilation.

War of The Worlds was also a British invasion.

I would like the name of the following trope.

Character A makes an unclear statement, then Character B asks a question, then Character A clarifies it.

Example from Blade Runner 2049, from memory.

A: It's a good thing you don't have one
B: Have what, Ma'am?
A: A soul.

The "wince" makes me laugh (movies)
Who knew Dettol was so ouchy?

As does the four friends (television) all walking together like a chorus line down the middle of a busy street in NYC
Hey! I'm walking here!

characters all facing the camera in discussion. IRL this doesnt happen.

applies to tv also

When they get offered a beverage to drink and have one sip and then all of a sudden have to leave

This works for a massive breakfast spread as well, grab the toast and head out the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start it off;

When Character A pulls a gun on Character B and points it way too close to CB. CB knocks the gun out of CA's hands with ease

The whole point of a gun is it's ranged ability

This is a great fun thread by the way. Severely needed in these grey times of covid, lockdowns, non stop political arguments etc.

One thing the takes me out of a movie these days is that metal in the movies has a metal on metal sound, even when it's not metal on metal.

Examples, when someone pulls a knife or a sword, or when a character is hit by a frying pan.

Also I don't get why Kryptonians try to hit each other with small Earth objects, like an iron beam, or glass windows, when they should be invulnerable to them.

Finally!

“Oftentimes in movies, you see two people having sex and the woman has her bra on, and in real life, I don’t think I ever did that, sex with a bra – or very, very rarely,” the 29-year-old said.
"Finally, more female nudity in film", is that what you mean, or?

I would like the name of the following trope.

Character A makes an unclear statement, then Character B asks a question, then Character A clarifies it.

Example from Blade Runner 2049, from memory.

A: It's a good thing you don't have one
B: Have what, Ma'am?
A: A soul.

A:This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.
B: A hospital? What is it?
A: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

In a big city like NYC characters always get parking spots directly out front of the place they need to go into.
Same applies to a party scene. Main characters rock up, theres about a thousand people there already- but yes. There a car spot right in front.

Here’s some things that really annoy me in movies.

When two people have conversations in cars, and the driver generally maintains eye contact with the passenger for five plus seconds, whereas, if you did this in real life, you’d have run the car off the road.

When people are thrown in jail, and they get their obligatory one phone call, they can always real off a phone number, and it’s always answered. If I’m ever thrown in jail, I’m stuffed, as I haven’t got a single phone number memorised, as they’re all in my mobile.

When a movie or TV series is set in a big city like New York, yet the characters constantly run into each other like they’re in a small country town.

When two people have a phone conversation, they both just hang up without saying goodbye, like a normal everyday conversation
Omg yes- the car crash scene in The Blind Side where they give the kid a brand new truckand the moron is too busy singing "Bust a Move" with that little annoying s**t to look where he's going.

stabbing a person once in the guts and they die near instantly. One stab wound never kills instantly, that's why in real life knife murders you always hear the victim was stabbed 30+ times.

C4 explosives detonate if set on fire. This is not true. C4 needs a detonator, just setting it on fire won't make it explode. Mythbusters proved this.

stabbing a person once in the guts and they die near instantly..

Yeah, but that's only the foot soldiers who are also incapacitated after just one punch. But then you get to the boss who can take a beating, 20 stabbings and 5 bullets yet they're still able to get off one last shot.

Here’s some things that really annoy me in movies.

When two people have conversations in cars, and the driver generally maintains eye contact with the passenger for five plus seconds, whereas, if you did this in real life, you’d have run the car off the road.

And the cabin is always well illuminated.

stabbing a person once in the guts and they die near instantly. One stab wound never kills instantly, that's why in real life knife murders you always hear the victim was stabbed 30+ times.

Watching Gangs of London presently. Lots of stabbing.

STAB STAB STAB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back