Father Son Bidding System

Remove this Banner Ad

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this new system going to be introduced? I havent heard anything for a while.

I for one am completely against it. I think the AFL has it right at the moment. Sure once in a while a club might get a bargain (eg. Joe Danniher) but thats completely luck. I dont think the system should be changed and this proposed bidding system is bollocks. AFL really needs to stop messing with everything, the game itself has gone backward already in recent years and now they want to have a knee jerk reaction to this as well.

Perhaps the acadamies should have some sort of change to the system, but i believe the father son system should stay as it is!

Who agrees?

I for one am completely against it. I think the AFL has it right at the moment. Sure once in a while a club might get a bargain (eg. Joe Danniher) but thats completely luck. I dont think the system should be changed and this proposed bidding system is bollocks. AFL really needs to stop messing with everything, the game itself has gone backward already in recent years and now they want to have a knee jerk reaction to this as well.

Perhaps the acadamies should have some sort of change to the system, but i believe the father son system should stay as it is!

Who agrees?
i know i don't want it changed for when Rice picks us over the blues

Who agrees?

Agree, only real father sons remotely interested in bidding on last few years have been Daniher & Darcey Moore

If had a system in outbidding the team with the f/s might make it interesting
Example Blues had Pick 7 & Pies had 9, Carlton might of outbid Pick7 & 2nd round pressuring Pies to not pick Moore

LOL, I love seeing Brisbane and Sydney fans whine about how tough it is to have to pay market value for a kid through their academy.

yeah na... point was the academy bidding was the same as father/son. Obviously any change would happen to both.. that way teams "pay market value" for father son kids. Seriously, why would anyone be surprised after all this time?

yeah na... point was the academy bidding was the same as father/son. Obviously any change would happen to both.. that way teams "pay market value" for father son kids. Seriously, why would anyone be surprised after all this time?
the difference is you get to groom your academy golden boys for 6 years, while F/S's just come in for a couple days during school holidays and don't get special coaching throughout their progression

the difference is you get to groom your academy golden boys for 6 years, while F/S's just come in for a couple days during school holidays and don't get special coaching throughout their progression
Yeah, Victoria is a real wasteland for coaching and representative opportunities for young players moving up through the system.

irrelevant point mate... talent worth will be made during the bidding process. If a father/son pick is no good because of not getting this "special coaching" then clubs wont bid on them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Victoria is a real wasteland for coaching and representative opportunities for young players moving up through the system.

Swans fans are clever. Its pretty well impossible to defend a system which gives exclusive access of players to one club so they try to frame the "debate" as those who are pro-grassroots and development opportunities in NSW and those who are against that. The trick is to try to forget that grassroots and development opportunities have nothing to do with having a fair draft and that it is possible to have development academies without compromising the professional competition.

Get rid of it. If these kids want to play football, then they can enter the draft, if they don't - there are plenty of other sports.
You want equalisation? Get rid of the academies, get rid of the father/son, make everything equal for all football teams.
I think eventually the AFL will get rid of compensation picks, but atm, the gap between the top and bottom is FAR too large for them to do so.
Free agency itself has widened this gap, so the AFL either need to make the system completely unregulated - or scrap Free Agency completely.
If free agency becomes unregulated, no compensation for clubs, free agency age dropped, then the salary cap becomes the equalizer, and father/sons become irrelevant, because clubs can simply pay coin if they want their man (son), and if the son wants to go to where he Dad played, that decision is his.
The only problem with all of this is that under the current system, the gap between the top side and bottom side - is MASSIVE. So even if they started an unregulated system atm, it would still favor the top sides, because they get a headstart.

Who agrees?

The recent changes put forward were rejected a week ago.

Swans fans are clever. Its pretty well impossible to defend a system which gives exclusive access of players to one club so they try to frame the "debate" as those who are pro-grassroots and development opportunities in NSW and those who are against that. The trick is to try to forget that grassroots and development opportunities have nothing to do with having a fair draft and that it is possible to have development academies without compromising the professional competition.

That problem can be solved if the AFL run their own academies. Atm the academies are an absolute joke. They are simply unfair, some sides have them - others don't. Is that fair? The haves and have nots. I don't think that is fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back