Ineligible for F/S but fathers played AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way, what is Mitch Duncan’s fathers name ?. 200 WAFL games ?.

Duncan was born in Perth, Western Australia. He attended Carine Senior High School and Trinity College. Duncan is the son of former East Fremantle player Glen Rogers.[3]

Seems to have only played 6 games?

Though that may be incorrect

Who are the players whose dads played afl but not enough games to be father son. Let’s see how a team of them would stack up against the father sons.

The few I have heard of Noah Anderson, Shae Bolton, Alex Rance, Mitch Georgiades, Ed Allen.

The two bolded ones make me very sad.

James Rowbottom’s old man played for Collingwood’s reserves for 3-4 years.

He is also Brian Taylor’s nephew

Connor West ended up at 1 of his dad’s club’s - Robbie played for WCE, Footscray and Port in the SANFL. Won a Sandover Medal too.

Jeremy and Mitch McGovern’s dad was a stocky mid/back flanker - Andrew - played for Sydney and was Freo’s VC (I’m pretty sure) in their early days.

It always amazed me that McGovern had two sons that were 190 plus cm, he was 5 foot nothing but was a decent footballer, very clean by foot.

Duncan was born in Perth, Western Australia. He attended Carine Senior High School and Trinity College. Duncan is the son of former East Fremantle player Glen Rogers.[3]

Seems to have only played 6 games?

Though that may be incorrect
So Dunc’s dad played just 6 WAFL games? I thought I read somewhere that he played >200. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Although I did give an “IIRC” in the claim. 😎

Sorry about that.

I knew his father played in the WAFL, didn’t have the surname Duncan and didn’t represent East Perth like Mitch did. I was only off by 194 in the number of games I claimed Mr Rogers played. 😂😂😂

So Dunc’s dad played just 6 WAFL games? I thought I read somewhere that he played >200. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Although I did give an “IIRC” in the claim. 😎

Sorry about that.

I knew his father played in the WAFL, didn’t have the surname Duncan and didn’t represent East Perth like Mitch did. I was only off by 194 in the number of games I claimed Mr Rogers played. 😂😂😂

I know a fair bit about the WAFL, back in the 70’s +, Glen Rogers ain’t a name that jumps out and hits me in the face.

Duncan is a good player, but doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in this thread.

It always amazed me that McGovern had two sons that were 190 plus cm, he was 5 foot nothing but was a decent footballer, very clean by foot.
Francis Bourke’s son David was probably 4-5 inches taller than his dad.

The Abletts are an interesting group. IIRC Gaz Snr was 185cm, Jnr was 182 but Nathan was 195.

Joe Daniher at 200cm would tower over his father. Tom Hawkins too. Mark and Rod Blake would be about the same I assume. Marc Woolnough was 195cm but I believe his father Mike was much smaller.

For Collingwood Maynard, Mihocek and Noble all had dads play a handful of games to go alongside the 5 players on our list who were actually taken through the F/S rule.

Not quite
Graham needed to coach Adelaide for one more season, as were the rules/concessions of the time

I've read that Graham offered to stay on the coaching panel in some capacity after he was sacked to ensure his kids would be f/a eligible but Adelaide declined the offer - or something like that
Old man Cornes would have scrubbed dunnys with his own toothbrush if it stopped his boys from going to Port he hated them with a passion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the Cornes brothers were eligible to be selected under F/S - to Adelaide. And I also think James Hird was also tied to Essendon under the archaic rules of the time.

Hird wasn’t a father-son, his old man only played 4 senior games. Anybody could have picked him. No doubt his name helped him get to Essendon thanks to his grandfather.

Lloyd’s old man played 29 games for Carlton and the F/S trigger at the time was only 50 games, so he wasn’t far away.

Warren T‘s father played 19 games for Collingwood in the early 70s. Now he is in his early 70s. :)

He was 19cm shorter than his son. Woz would have been taller than his father at about the time he turned 12. :think:

Gary Tredrea​

Born:6-Oct-1951 (Debut:18y 327d Last:20y 325d)

Height:175 cm Weight:73 kg

Last edited:
Always feels like there are a lot good F/S. Have there been some who didn't get picked at all?
Ned Daniher didn't. Middle brother of Joe and Darcy. Alessio also had a son we didn't draft I think too.

Francis Bourke’s son David was probably 4-5 inches taller than his dad.

The Abletts are an interesting group. IIRC Gaz Snr was 185cm, Jnr was 182 but Nathan was 195.

Joe Daniher at 200cm would tower over his father. Tom Hawkins too. Mark and Rod Blake would be about the same I assume. Marc Woolnough was 195cm but I believe his father Mike was much smaller.

I’m of the belief that Nathan was the pizza guys son 😂

Tony Daniher was a full back , he was/is a big unit

Noah Anderson hurts.

His old man, Dean, played 83 games for us and was critical in 2 flags.

Arguably our BOG in 1989, and amongst the best in 1991.

Eagles have had quite a few who were eligible from the AFL sides but weren't selected.

Matera, Sumich, Mainwaring, Kemp all had sons who played footy I believe.

But the only 3 F/S we have had are Jacob Brennan and Alec/Jake Waterman that I can recall. I loved both Michael Brennan and Chris Waterman as players, but they weren't the team stars. Funny how that has worked out.

The few I have heard of Noah Anderson, Shae Bolton, Alex Rance, Mitch Georgiades, Ed Allen.
ex-Bulldogs :'(
Along with Sam and Ben Ried. We thought we'd get both until the AFL changed the rules from 50 to 100 games (his dad Bruce played 86 games for the Bulldogs)
The Talia Brothers are grandsons of 1954 Premiership player Harvey Stevens

Josh Kelly probably the famous one.

Phil was a jet as well (probably better than Josh tbh) and one of North's best players through the 80's and one of Western Australia's best as a dual Sandover medalist before he moved to Arden St.

He was at North for 6 seasons, but only managed 61 games because of hamstring injuries in the second half of his career there.

Phil remained in Melbourne following his career, but the missed games in his last 3 years from injuries meant North lost Kelly's eligibility following the change from 50 to 100 games.

Fathers played for north:
josh kelly
Angus brayshaw
Andrew brayshaw
Tom jonas

Sons played at North:
Tom Powell

That’s just off the top of my head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back