Universal Love Favourite Essendon Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything you like.

For me, it's hard to go past the 2000 Grand Final. Actually, the entire 2000 season to be honest

I remember the 1999 season, and particularly the day that must not be named.

Funny thing is, I didn't really see us as a premiership contender until late in the season. But by the time the prelim came around I just expected us to win. I was 18 years old at the time, and was working a job installing electronic POS systems (which even in 1999 still weren't universal) for a well known retailer.

I was working that day, so had to keep checking the scores. When the game ended, and the result was announced over the radio, I remember a feeling of complete emptiness. End of the workday, I was in the car with my step-father driving home, and as I pulled in to the driveway, I see my next door neighbor hanging out her kitchen window screaming 'Go the Blues!' at me. I was too spent to care....

Whilst I didn't consider it at the time, as the years have gone past I must admit I'm amused at the complete state of delusion North Melbourne fans are suspended in over that year. Over the 1999-2001 period Essendon didn't lose once to North. Six games and an average margin of 55 points. They were completely and utterly incapable of beating Essendon. Yet somehow they've got themselves convinced that they would have won that game? Don't kid yourself peons, the 1999 flag was won or lost on the success of a Fraser Brown tackle - Essendon would have beaten the s**t out of North in that game.

The fact that Essendon was immediately installed as the flag favourite for the 2000 flag indicates that, despite the denial of Kangaroo fans, the market knew this to be true as well....

But anyway, I digress.

The 2000 season was probably the first year I started paying significant attention to footy. In that, I was always an Essendon fan, but not at the meticulous, wanting to know every detail kind of level that I find myself at today.

We started at Docklands, which was a real novelty being a brand new stadium. Smashed the living s**t out of Port - nice way to start the year.

I think that the dominance of that side is seriously underrated nowadays - and that is potentially an unavoidable side effect of only winning the one premiership. But it was a BEASTLY side that simply overpowered sides - and did it with such ease.

With the exception of the Bulldogs game, only three sides were able to get within four goals of Essendon - a truly astonishing statistic. We'd win games by 30-40 points, but they were such effortless victories - we'd barely get out of second gear. The games would effectively be over at half time as contests, and turn in to a training drill.

I've said it before and I will say it again - no side, not the Hawks threepeat side, not the great Geelong side, not Brisbane - NO ONE was that dominant. Any fan of any of those sides attempting to suggest that their sides were better are absolutely kidding themselves. More successful? No doubt. But better? Not a chance in hell.

By the time we got to round 5 or so, we were clear flag favourites. At the halfway point of the season we were considered damn near unbeatable.

Carlton were a bloody good side that year too. Second best team of the year, and probably stronger than many premiership sides in their own right. Won thirteen games in a row. Unfortunately injuries robbed them of a real shot, and probably robbed the football world of what might have been a seriously good game between the two. I was in Geelong for the round 20 clash. It was fairly clear early in the game though that they were out matched though.

The Dogs game was an odd one. We were off. I don't know if it was complacency, but it was an odd game. It was the flood game. But funnily enough, all flooding did was keep the Dogs close - people seem to forget that Essendon were leading despite the flood at three quarter time. It was only when the Dogs opened up that they managed to get ahead of us.

Brad Johnson. I didn't have a high opinion of him at the time, and watching him act like a complete and utter flog after the game only enhanced that view. A bright shining example of how little All-Australian honours mean in judging how good a player was - because the guy was far from a champion, I struggle to even put him in the 'very good' category. Genuinely glad that his career amounted to a fairly irrelevant stint.

I would have liked an undefeated season. But the reality is I have no idea if that loss was the final push we needed to take us to a flag. Who knows?

What I do know, is that entering the finals - I was nervous as all hell.

We entered the Qualifying Final against North as favourites obviously, but I remember feeling for the first time an absolute disdain for North. I don't mean hatred either. I looked at them and was disgusted with how pathetic and weak they were as a footy club, as an entity. They were parasites. Maggots. They didn't even deserve to be on the same field, in the same league, as Essendon.

The media build up followed a well worn script. Passing of the baton, reigning champs vs challenger etc etc. I remember at the time being almost insulted. This wasn't a passing of the baton. We were, and had been for some time, a vastly superior side to North. They were nothing. I knew it in my bones. Every single part of that club was inferior, in every way.

Lucky for me, apparently the players agreed with me.

I remember Corey McKernan. At the bounce, he had this screwed up, game face on - like he was totally up for this. The ball bounced... yeah, he wasn't up for it.

It was a blitzkrieg. Essendon smashed in nine goals in the first quarter. Pagan, aware that his team was about to be crushed, feebly attempted to stem the flow by dropping players back, and succeeded in restricting Essendon to 'only' 6 goals in the second quarter. So the team that had comfortably cantered in to wins by 7 or 8 goals responded by ripping Norths defense to shreds and pumping in ten goals in the third.

It was angry football. To my eyes, the Essendon players felt the same level of disdain for North as I was feeling. They pummeled and hurt them at every opportunity. It was as if they were personally insulted that this suburban level, insignificant s**t smear of a club had the audacity to so much as show up.

I wanted a fifth quarter. I'm not done beating up on you maggots.

125 points didn't feel like enough. It should have been double that.

Where's your game face now McKernan? That's right, * off with your head down.

The prelim two weeks later was a far more nervy affair. Not them. ANYONE but them. Oh for * sake Brisbane.....

It remains the most nervous I've ever been pre-game. Had we lost that prelim, I don't think I could have described the devastation. 21 points at half time was simply not enough. I felt sick.

At three quarter time we were 54 points up - a greater margin than any ever overcome at that stage of a game, and I still didn't feel good. When the game ended, and we had progressed to the Grand Final, I didn't feel like celebrating. I was relieved more than anything.

I remember finding the media coverage leading up to the Grand Final amusing. Of course, commentators had to try and make a case for WHY Melbourne could win. I think deep down we all knew they were a snowballs chance in hell, but hey, they had to make a case.

Jeff Farmer could be the difference, they said. Meh, maybe, I guess. Ah who am I kidding, no, no he can't.

The game happened. The inevitable happened. At half time, I cracked my first beer. The game was over. The resistance had lasted barely a quarter. Troy Simmonds had been flattened, Melbourne fans booed any time Michael Long went near the ball. Yeah cool, go for it.

Unlike the North game, the Essendon players didn't seen to have any particular dislike for Melbourne, so they coasted. It was a mere procession.

Siren sounds, Hird jumps. This guy is sitting in his lounge room, probably looking smug as *.

Medal presentations. My god Barnsey you are a bogan. But I love ya...

On to my pushy I got, and rode the four or five k's to get to my mates place, where I knew the party was going to be. I had a drink, and then another....

About halfway through the night my cousin arrived. I pounced out of the hallway with a 'GO BOMBERS!!!' and bounded back to the kitchen for another drink.

Some hours later I wasn't capable of pouring them any more, but they kept coming. A few hours more and I was laying half in the front door, half on the front veranda having a Chris Mew. Yeah that suede jacket will never be the same......

Woke up the next day - I s**t you not - not even the slightest hangover. Reality is I was probably still pissed, but I choose to believe that the football gods had given me their blessings to go forth and imbibe. And I did.

And thus ended the greatest single season in football history.

Hard to choose between knocking Hawks out of finals contention when Lloyd hit Sewell and Hurley killed em or the 2015 Hawks game when Hooker won us the game with that goal. For games I didn't go to the Anzac game wen Zaka kicked that goal and receiving the most painful high five ever but the pain didn't matter I was far too happy to care :D

The comeback against Sydney at 'Colonial' Stadium in 2001 is possibly the loudest crowd noise I've ever heard under the roof, broken nicely into 3 roars:

1) Cess takes the mark inches from the ground.
2) Cess goals.
3) Siren goes seconds later.

Happy days.

Semi-recent one. 2013 round 3 against Freo. they were one of the flag favourites, we were feeling the beginnings of the drug scandal. we went over there as massive under dogs. I remember how good their defence was that game. felt like we could barely get into our forward 50. half time we were down by 40 odd. The game felt over. Cue massive comeback in the third. Then that last quarter. The emotion... Man. When Mayne (?) missed from directly infront hitting post. Was an amazing game to watch

I don't think I've ever seen Essendon win a final.

I was more into soccer in 03/04, so I watched the scores here and there. I think 05/06 is when I got interested.

So boooo to you people with premiership memories. Mediocrity is where it is at.

FUN FACT: I've seen Essendon, Carlton and Richmond only win 2 finals in my time, with the two being Carlton over Richmond and Essendon.

THE BOMBERS ARE IN FRONT AT THE 'G!
I had work that day and I actually got up to get ready when Collingwood kicked that last goal.

Then I came back into the living room to see Dyson kick that goal. Ohh it was soooo good with my Collingwood supporting brother being there. It was also the Channel 10 5-minute warning clock

Other than that:

Hooookeeeerrr vs Hawthorn 2015

2009 St Kilda

Melksham! Vs Geelong 2011

Fremantle 2013.

Both Carlton games 2013.

Carlton 2016 (for the massive lolz)
Melbourne 2016

Hird vs West Coast 2004

West Coast 2014

93 GF - Long running down the wing and kicking that goal. I had a bowl of popcorn with icing sugar on it. it went everywhere. i was 11 at the time :)

Anzac Day 2009. Unwinnable position. Zaka kicks a goal from nowhere. I fall over (too much mead...yes, mead). Elated

Rd.16 2001. 22-91 deficit against the Roos. They score 150 odd points and lose. Lloyd, Hird, JJ. epic.

Rd.3 2013. Tough week of coverage. trip to WA. Freo literally own us for 3 quarters of football. That Hurley punch.
and its sister. Rd.14. Eagles supporters boo Watson. He gives everything to get us over the line. Heppell's goal. Jobe surrounded after the siren.
Love this club

Rd.11 2013 - 1 pt lead to carlton. Henderson to Yarran intercepted by Winders, to Melks - goal. Then Carlisle with the match winner mark in defence. Was at the game. My carlton mates were shattered. massive crowd too.

Rd.2 2015 - 2 goals down. Hooker stops a shot on goal, sets up the play for Colyer. nekminnit. kicks himself a winner. Add to that Ambrose burying Hill into the MCG.

Rd.2 2016 - No chance of a win. Put in one of our best v Melbourne. Zaka to Parish for a goal was my moment of the year.

Rd.3 1999 - Lloyd. 13 goals @ 20 years old. i remember that game vividly. And with a bigger frame, i could see Langford being a similar player.

Ill throw the first quarter against GCS in as well. training ground stuff. was fun to watch.

I think that the dominance of that side is seriously underrated nowadays - and that is potentially an unavoidable side effect of only winning the one premiership. But it was a BEASTLY side that simply overpowered sides - and did it with such ease.

Statistically I think the 2000 side was the single most dominant team of the last 20 years (at least) - some of the footy stats blogs have write-ups at times comparing premiers of various years.

93 GF - Long running down the wing and kicking that goal. I had a bowl of popcorn with icing sugar on it. it went everywhere. i was 11 at the time :)

Anzac Day 2009. Unwinnable position. Zaka kicks a goal from nowhere. I fall over (too much mead...yes, mead). Elated

Rd.16 2001. 22-91 deficit against the Roos. They score 150 odd points and lose. Lloyd, Hird, JJ. epic.

Rd.3 2013. Tough week of coverage. trip to WA. Freo literally own us for 3 quarters of football. That Hurley punch.
and its sister. Rd.14. Eagles supporters boo Watson. He gives everything to get us over the line. Heppell's goal. Jobe surrounded after the siren.
Love this club

Rd.11 2013 - 1 pt lead to carlton. Henderson to Yarran intercepted by Winders, to Melks - goal. Then Carlisle with the match winner mark in defence. Was at the game. My carlton mates were shattered. massive crowd too.

Rd.2 2015 - 2 goals down. Hooker stops a shot on goal, sets up the play for Colyer. nekminnit. kicks himself a winner. Add to that Ambrose burying Hill into the MCG.

Rd.2 2016 - No chance of a win. Put in one of our best v Melbourne. Zaka to Parish for a goal was my moment of the year.

Rd.3 1999 - Lloyd. 13 goals @ 20 years old. i remember that game vividly. And with a bigger frame, i could see Langford being a similar player.

Ill throw the first quarter against GCS in as well. training ground stuff. was fun to watch.
Agree with all of these but for me the bolded wins were the best because of the depth of emotion surrounding those wins. For that reason, I'd add in round 2 2016 and even the last quarter of the North game this year, when the team got a standing ovation, despite losing. They are the moments I felt most proud to be an Essendon supporter.

Agree with all of these but for me the bolded wins were the best because of the depth of emotion surrounding those wins. For that reason, I'd add in round 2 2016 and even the last quarter of the North game this year, when the team got a standing ovation, despite losing. They are the moments I felt most proud to be an Essendon supporter.
2013 was about our best performed year in a long while. probably since 01.
its a shame that team never got to just play due to the off-field stuff. I think we would have finished 5th in 2013 and top 4 in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like plenty about the 93 GF
  • Olarenshaw's blitzkreig of a 1st half, 1st quarter especially
  • That Long goal
  • Daniher putting Hogg's face into the goalsquare turf with a huge * you fend off before goaling
  • Wallis' bump on Hanna
  • Denham frustrating the crap out of Diesel in not exactly the cleanest manner, then getting a broken nose for his troubles
  • Silvagni taking a swing at Somerville and just missing and Somerville skirting the pack to take him on before both realised a game was happening
  • Calthorpe snuffing out a mini-Carlton surge by roving a centre tap out and goaling on the run from just outside the square
  • Mark Athorn being made to look a fool every time he went near the ball or an Essendon player
  • Mercuri breaking the record for the amount of times "sensational" can be said in a post match interview
  • etc
I didn't realise arrogance levels could peak so highly in the 2000 season. Winning was a right, not a privilege. I doubt I'll ever feel like that given the last 14 years or so has humbled me considerably, prior to that I'd seen 6 GFs and 4 flags in 17 years as a Bombers supporter.

One of my most glaring memories, not necessarily a favourite but will live with me, gave me the best of both worlds in a single match. The Bewick comeback game when it was The Same Olds vs The Pivotonians where Boris kicked 9 and Long snapped his patella tendon in the same game just having a set shot for goal.

The 84 GF will always stand out too. As an impressionable 8yo, that win tied forever my bond to this great club.

I'll pick a few from left field...

2011 4 point win vs Geelong, off the top of my head Melksham kicked a goal in the goalsquare or handed it off to someone, that was the sealer. Crowd was delirious, think we may have been $10-$15 to win!

2011 1 point win vs Sydney, when Goodes missed after the siren, you could cut the tension with a knife as he was lining up for goal.

2007 vs West Coast, came from 5 goals down at half time to win by a point against the reigning premiers. This old Eagles fan was giving us crap throughout the match, waving his scarf and being pretty loud whenever they scored a goal. When we won lots of people in the section were bronx cheering him and he started giving people the bird. It doesn't sound funny but it was one of those moments where you had to be there to see how hilarious it was.

2007 vs Melbourne, Neale Daniher's last game as coach, ball spilled from the pack out the back to Lucas and he put us up with not much time left

2006 vs Brisbane, very tough year, long time without a win. Hille played really well.

2003 vs Brisbane, hadn't beaten them for a few years, they hit the front in the second half and you'd think they'd blow us away. Dug in and ended up winning by less than 2 goals. I remember an old lady on the radio calling up and speaking to Tony Shaw and was asking whether we could win the flag after that game!

2001 prelim - just escaped by the skin of our teeth, Barnard may have kicked the sealer? I remember it being pretty warm before the match.

1999 vs Sydney Lloydy was just untouchable!

A couple of those are more standouts and easier to remember than actual favourites but they were enjoyable all the same :)

When Richard Cole came to my school back as a Collingwood player, i thought he was a spud... nek minnit traded to Essendon.

Another would be the 2003 Anzac day game where we were playing smacking the pies. I still remember the moment where instead of hand balling the ball, Rioli ran up and just gave the ball to Hird. Cupido also had one of his best games... nek minnit not many other good games.

Last edited:
Being 23 and living on the gold coast since i was a teenager i havent been able to get to many games and the ones i have we mostly lose ive been to one Anzac day game and we lost by 73 points i went to a game vs Richmond when they where coming last and they upset us i remember reimers playing but that's it the only good footy memory i kinda have is neil danihers last game as coach of Melbourne and scotty Lucas put us in front with a few seconds left i also had to deal with watching us at the gabba during Brisbanes dominant years

I'll pick a few from left field...

2011 4 point win vs Geelong, off the top of my head Melksham kicked a goal in the goalsquare or handed it off to someone, that was the sealer. Crowd was delirious, think we may have been $10-$15 to win!

Got to go with this due to the sheer unlikely aspect - can remember my father and I contemplating whether it was even worth getting off the train at Spencer St. We had even joked before leaving home that if we could win this one we'd hit the Cas. Melksham, Heppell, Howlett, and Pig were all astonishing. Agree about the delirium - also lashings of incredulity. There was this horrible feeling that it would all come crumbling down in a minute - and then Stevie J took a dive, kicked another lying on his back, and then from 50 out on the boundary, fortunately all too late. Great fun.

And made a bit of money at the Cas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back