Federer - a return to #1?

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
It's interesting looking over those rankings to see the degree to which the 'next generation' have not really shown up. To highlight that, Kyrgios is the 4th highest ranked (in terms of the race to year-end number 1) male 25 or under (24th overall). The 5th highest is someone called Karen Kahchanov who is 35th overall.

Anyway, it will be an interesting race to number 1. I'm tipping Nadal, but it seems like a 2 horse race at this point.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm stating my opinion about the future.

Mostly because it's hilarious to see you get so worked up about the idea that a complete stranger disagrees about how often a multimillionaire is going to successfully hit a ball over a net in the next five months.

Sorry but you come across in a very irritating way. We discuss sport because we are interested. We all know its fundamentally irrelevant. We all know its strangers hitting a ball. Actors are strangers pretending to be someone else but we like movies of plays. What relevance does wealth have? Who cares how much money he has?

Can Fed be number one? Of course he can. Will he be? If he wins US Open and year end championships he probably will be. If he doesn't he won't.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Still zero chance of him getting back to number one. He won't play enough.
Please don't be shocked when he skips three quarters of the rest of the season.
Federer wants the #1 spot:

“I hope to be No.1 again,” he said.

“I think it’s going to be a three or four-way race or two-way race between me and Rafa Nadal,” Federer said.

“I hope it’s me and not Rafa because it means a lot to me to get back to No.1.”

He and Nadal have the same schedule for the big tournaments for the remainder of the year.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh it's interesting that he wants that No.1 back. I honestly didnt think he cared. Now we know he wants it, then buckle your seat belts cos it's on!

I suspect he only cares because it is on. He can't possibly have imagined he would be within 1,200 points coming out of Wimbledon. he knows it is a shoot out between Rafa and him and knows he can beat Rafa on the hards and the very fact that it is Rafa will stoke the fires.........Fed will now fancy himself.

However I think he will fall just short even if he does win in NYC.

He seems to realise that at 36 he simply cannot afford to get involved in chasing points in Masters events. The great glittering prize that now remains in the US Open the number 20. I strongly suspect that nothing else matters. He no longer has to scrabble for mere silver when gold is the only currency he wants.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Rafa being such a competitor would probably take the challenge full on, I'd back him in to play more tennis than 36 year old Federer.

I'd love to see them meet in some of the lead up tournaments, Federer has beaten him the last 4 times and I think Rafa would love to challenge himself to stop the streak, I think he'll get a win over him by the end of the year if they happen to meet. Federer though would be a decent bet for the US open but I wouldn't get too excited, if the field is full there will be exceptional talent running around in the top 10.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Rafa being such a competitor would probably take the challenge full on, I'd back him in to play more tennis than 36 year old Federer.

I'd love to see them meet in some of the lead up tournaments, Federer has beaten him the last 4 times and I think Rafa would love to challenge himself to stop the streak, I think he'll get a win over him by the end of the year if they happen to meet. Federer though would be a decent bet for the US open but I wouldn't get too excited, if the field is full there will be exceptional talent running around in the top 10.

Federer is an extremely dangerous animal at the US Open. Unlike at Wimbledon he is totally without pressure. The win at Wimbledon means his comeback is a success whatever happens now. An 8th and record win in the sport's premier tournament was THE hope. The Open is in a sense a bonus.....a huge bonus but a bonus nonetheless.

With the year and his comeback already a stunning success he is now almost a free agent and is in my view a strong favourite on a court where in the past he has performed well even if his most recent win is some years ago.

Of course he is the oldest slam winner ( Rosewall's Aus Opens don't count since pre 1982 the Aus Open was a major in name only ) and at his age physical limitation may strike at any time to render all this irrelevant.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think I read that he needs to win Montreal and then equal Nadal at the next event and he will be number 1.

It's looking likely t this stage but sport always throws up surprises.
He has been kissed on the dick once again though just like the past few tournaments. Hasnt played any of the big 4 since he beat rafa @ indian wells. He still has to beat who is put in front of him agreed but everyone knows at his best he will beat most players still on the tour. There is still some doubt however that he can beat djokovic or murray at their best at this stage. I hope zverev can bring this rich vein of form to against him if they meet. Is playing well enough to beat him.

Last edited:

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
He has been kissed on the dick once again though just like the past few tournsments. Hasnt played a any of the big 4 since he beat rafa @ indian wells.
That's a poor point to raise I think. He skipped the clay season and is only playing his 5 tournament since IW. Can't help that Rafa keeps losing before finals on grass and hard court and Djokovic and Murray have been injured due to their heavy work load the past few years.

Back