FFA to take legal action against The Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it really comes down to what plans McDonalds have for Doverton Fish & Chips.

No it bloody doesnt.

The value of the fish and chip shop is its saleable value now.
Otherwise I could sell my house for double its value because i'm planning an extension.
Stop saying stupid things, this thread is low enough already and you arent helping your cause .

Classic cultural cringe.

If it's overseas, it must be better.

The truth is that only a handful of football competitions anywhere on this planet can hold a candle to the AFL.

Lol, now you have really lost the plot. BSE's Logic: Don't buy anything from overseas, don't embrace anything that was invented overseas, buy from Australia only, stuff the rest of the world. You actually have quite a lot in common with Hitler in your logic. If we had blokes like you running the country, everything imported would have 2837423847% import tariffs and the local products would just become worse and worse thanks to no competition.

Australian Rules Football owes its very existence to a "foreign" game so I wouldn't go around bashing "foreign" games mate. Oh and by the way, Honda and BMW aren't better then Holden & Ford because they are from overseas, they are just plain better cars. Soccer isn't better in my opinion because it is foreign, it is just a sport with a better balance of tactics, skill, physical requirements & fitness then Aussie Rules is, although that's not to say I prefer Aussie Rules over the likes of your Thugy/NRL etc etc.

In terms of football competitions the AFL is far, far behind the likes of the EPL, La Liga, Bundelsiga, Serie A, Champions League, UEFA Cup, European Cup and of course World Cup.

Lol, now you have really lost the plot. BSE's Logic: Don't buy anything from overseas, don't embrace anything that was invented overseas, buy from Australia only, stuff the rest of the world. You actually have quite a lot in common with Hitler in your logic. If we had blokes like you running the country, everything imported would have 2837423847% import tariffs and the local products would just become worse and worse thanks to no competition.

Australian Rules Football owes its very existence to a "foreign" game so I wouldn't go around bashing "foreign" games mate. Oh and by the way, Honda and BMW aren't better then Holden & Ford because they are from overseas, they are just plain better cars. Soccer isn't better in my opinion because it is foreign, it is just a sport with a better balance of tactics, skill, physical requirements & fitness then Aussie Rules is, although that's not to say I prefer Aussie Rules over the likes of your Thugy/NRL etc etc.

In terms of football competitions the AFL is far, far behind the likes of the EPL, La Liga, Bundelsiga, Serie A, Champions League, UEFA Cup, European Cup and of course World Cup.

Don't cringe but shortly after the last Falcon was released "Wheels" declared the Falcon better than the Accord after back to back tests.
I'd also rate them better than the low spec bottom of the price range cars BMW sell to people who buy them just to get a BMW. ( Ask someone from Europe if they would pay the Australian prices for a BMW or Merc, they are priced for the gullible ).
You have your perception, and you don't percieve your culture cringe, but its there.

Don't cringe but shortly after the last Falcon was released "Wheels" declared the Falcon better than the Accord after back to back tests.
I'd also rate them better than the low spec bottom of the price range cars BMW sell to people who buy them just to get a BMW. ( Ask someone from Europe if they would pay the Australian prices for a BMW or Merc, they are priced for the gullible ).
You have your perception, and you don't percieve your culture cringe, but its there.

Perceptions aside, there's a reason Falcons only sell for something like 35-40% of their original value after 2 years and Honda Accords sell for 60-65% of their original value after 2 years. There is absolutely no doubt a Honda Accord is a superior car in terms of build quality and/or reliability - those are the only 2 things that you can measure a car on that aren't based on opinion. Yes, the bottom spec BMW's aren't that great- but there is no doubt that BMW's in general are superior cars to your Ford/Holdens - only a fool would suggest otherwise. It ain't cultural cringe to suggest BMW/Honda's are superior cars then Holdens/Fords - it is a fact. Learn the difference my friend.

Perceptions aside, there's a reason Falcons only sell for something like 35-40% of their original value after 2 years and Honda Accords sell for 60-65% of their original value after 2 years. There is absolutely no doubt a Honda Accord is a superior car in terms of build quality and/or reliability - those are the only 2 things that you can measure a car on that aren't based on opinion. Yes, the bottom spec BMW's aren't that great- but there is no doubt that BMW's in general are superior cars to your Ford/Holdens - only a fool would suggest otherwise. It ain't cultural cringe to suggest BMW/Honda's are superior cars then Holdens/Fords - it is a fact. Learn the difference my friend.

Absolute hogwash. They are cheap because there are a lot of them. There may be a difference in panel fit and finish but ask a taxi driver about their reliability. Bet you can't find me a Honda that has survived 400 000km Look at the resale of your BMW's. They hold no value, because there is a good chance you will need to spend a small fortune to keep it on the road. All of Australia will miss them when they are gone, because their pricing keeps the opposition honest, ( in the USA a Camry is much more expensive than it is in Australia, despite small cars being a similar price ) both in new car pricing and service costs.

I've never really given a damn about cars.

My very first car was a 1969 HK Kingswood.

It was already old and rundown when I bought it for about $200, and I drove it into the ground for a futher decade: drove it through the outback, through snow, through mud, through backtracks with foot deep troughs running across them, over creeks, anywhere and everywhere.

I've owned plenty of new cars in my life, and I would have achieved far less with all these new car put together as I managed with that old HK.

Yeah, cars are s**t. They come from overseas!

Yeah, I guess that's a good way of applying some of the logic that certain AFL fanboys are using on this forum. Hell, while we are at it, we should ban computers (invented overseas), pizza (another foreign evil invention) and electricity (invented overseas, how dare we use something so "unaustralian".

Anyone that says we should reject football (soccer) because it is foreign most certainly are a moron of the highest order.

Yeah, I guess that's a good way of applying some of the logic that certain AFL fanboys are using on this forum. Hell, while we are at it, we should ban computers (invented overseas), pizza (another foreign evil invention) and electricity (invented overseas, how dare we use something so "unaustralian".

Anyone that says we should reject football (soccer) because it is foreign most certainly are a moron of the highest order.

While I am yet to conduct a full first hand analysis my current opinion is that Aussie Pizza's may well be the best, certainly the best in the Southern hemisphere. :D Everyone I have spoken to who has had the genuine italian item seems to agree that they are not very good at all. Interestingly German Pizza's are pretty good , while those in the USA are crap.

I love the AFL but get your facts right buddy. Don't go publish this and that and go oh but we're the best when we ain't. It's an embarrassment internationally for us when someone like you goes overseas and makes a comment oh we have the biggest sporting league in the southern hemisphere and people just laugh in your face. I'm saying just get it right, nothing about your passion for the AFL, it's to be applauded but don't be stupid about it.

I know you value our overseas reputation very highly ( it seems to be one of the main reasons we should fork out for a W.C.) but you will have a lot of work to do if you think you can stop all Australians from going overseas and making a dick of themselves.

While I am yet to conduct a full first hand analysis my current opinion is that Aussie Pizza's may well be the best, certainly the best in the Southern hemisphere. :D Everyone I have spoken to who has had the genuine italian item seems to agree that they are not very good at all. Interestingly German Pizza's are pretty good , while those in the USA are crap.

Mate, you really have to get out a bit more!

Aussie pizzas are not pizzas and if anyone has told you Aussies make the best pizzas they're obviously part of "the Contiki demographic".

You haven't eaten a pizza until you've eaten one in Napoli ... and, restaurants with an Italian flag in Lygon Street ain't Napoli.

To say "aussies make the best pizzas" is as cringeworthy as hearing Americans say "we do everything the best". Such Americans think that way b/c they don't know any better - some may call it "being insular".

Mate, you really have to get out a bit more!

Aussie pizzas are not pizzas and if anyone has told you Aussies make the best pizzas they're obviously part of "the Contiki demographic".

You haven't eaten a pizza until you've eaten one in Napoli ... and, restaurants with an Italian flag in Lygon Street ain't Napoli.

To say "aussies make the best pizzas" is as cringeworthy as hearing Americans say "we do everything the best". Such Americans think that way b/c they don't know any better - some may call it "being insular".

No I havent eaten one in Naploli, ( or Naples if this thread is in English, but I'm always a bit perplexed why Nationalities with common language basics call other peoples places and names something different. ) but I've spoken to enough people who have been "surprised" at how bad the Italian Pizza's are to make me think your opinion is not the majority.

I agree that the Aussie Pizza's ( that I like and appreciate very much thank you ) are a very different thing to the original product. Are they still Pizza's? Maybe you need to ask those with Italian backgrounds who originally made Pizza's popular here and evoved it into the product that is commonly found today.

Of course there are many who go backpacking and come back saying....
Oh you havent seen a Cricket game unless you've been to Lord's , you havent eaten a Crepes unless you ate it in Paris etc etc . An element of truth in it but also an element of bullshit.

Plenty of bull s**t to be found everywhere.

All of a sudden, eveyrone's a coffee expert. To listen to people who have just discovered the pleasure of drinking real coffee is a bit of a bore - a bit like talking to aussie who think soccer has just come along in the last few years - been drinking real coffee since I was a little kid - a cheap stove top can be as good as a $1,000 machine.

And now people are going on about chai.

zzzzzz

Incidentally, pizza, coffee and gelati in Southern Italy is to die for - spurn all Northern imitations.

What's wrong with saying the AFL is the largest football competition in the Southern Hemisphere?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of bull s**t to be found everywhere.

All of a sudden, eveyrone's a coffee expert. To listen to people who have just discovered the pleasure of drinking real coffee is a bit of a bore - a bit like talking to aussie who think soccer has just come along in the last few years - been drinking real coffee since I was a little kid - a cheap stove top can be as good as a $1,000 machine.

And now people are going on about chai.

zzzzzz

Incidentally, pizza, coffee and gelati in Southern Italy is to die for - spurn all Northern imitations.

What's wrong with saying the AFL is the largest football competition in the Southern Hemisphere?

"Sea salt" is the one that really gets my goat. I remember seeing piles of sea-salt at the Cheetham works during my first trip to Geelong as a child.
Then they filter out the dirt and bits of seaweed and shell and its "table salt" I want to see one of these bloody lifestyle cooking show tosser's proove that somebody can tell the difference if it's used in cooking. You just tasts Sodium Chloride. And potato chips WTF ?

"Sea salt" is the one that really gets my goat. I remember seeing piles of sea-salt at the Cheetham works during my first trip to Geelong as a child.
Then they filter out the dirt and bits of seaweed and shell and its "table salt" I want to see one of these bloody lifestyle cooking show tosser's proove that somebody can tell the difference if it's used in cooking. You just tasts Sodium Chloride. And potato chips WTF ?

Perfect example!!

I know you value our overseas reputation very highly ( it seems to be one of the main reasons we should fork out for a W.C.) but you will have a lot of work to do if you think you can stop all Australians from going overseas and making a dick of themselves.
Those fine noble Aussie Rules heroes really did a great deal for our reputation last time they were here.

Those fine noble Aussie Rules heroes really did a great deal for our reputation last time they were here.

Personally, I find it embarassing that professional footballers would go the fist against some amateurs.

While I'm not a huge fan of the concept, mainly because both teams are playing a game that normally neither would play, I have to admit that the IR series is just about the most entertaining form of football you could ever imagine.

Lightning fast, open, attacking - entertaining stuff.

Funny you should say that, all the people I went with actually thought it was too stop-start. Thought the actual play was good but there was too much incentive to stop the ball and take a set shot, or play holding the ball or whatever.

I think it's a bit of a bastard child, it's an acceptable compromise but it's nothing like the best of either rules or GAA.

Because it's clearly an incorrect statement
No its not. In terms of revenue generated and turnover, The AFL is the Largest Football competition in the Southern Hemisphere. No ones denying the passion of Soccer in places like Brazil, however their competion is just not as big as the AFL's. Now one can appreaciate that people like you might hate the Australian Game, but dont deny its legitamacy and its influence becuase you wish that soccer was a bigger sport here than it actually is.

Worth $500mill and $550mill.

that's nothing

The AFL and its clubs turnover $1 billion per annum, meaning the worth of the competition as a whole is far in excess of that.
absolutely, going by these figures the AFL is twice as big as thier South American Counterparts. As I stated above thats not denying the passion of Soccer in South America, just a refledction that the leagues or associations over their are just not as big a businesses as what the AFL is

Revenue and turnover are two different things. If you looked at turnover for those leagues they'd eclipse the AFL by a mile, making the difference even greater.
Actually you might find that turnover is relatedd to revenue. You cant generate revenue without turnover. If the AFL's turnover is twice as big as that of thier South American Counterparts, then it is only logical that thier revenue is much bigger as well.

Now there are many reasons for that, not the least beding that our ecconomy is much larger than those two South American Countries, people here have relatively more money to spend on football as entertainment than over their etc.

No its not. In terms of revenue generated and turnover, The AFL is the Largest Football competition in the Southern Hemisphere. No ones denying the passion of Soccer in places like Brazil, however their competion is just not as big as the AFL's. Now one can appreaciate that people like you might hate the Australian Game, but dont deny its legitamacy and its influence becuase you wish that soccer was a bigger sport here than it actually is.

Hit two birds with the one stone:

1. Soccer fans honestly believe that the A-League will be bigger than the AFL in their lifetime

2. It drives them to dispair to come to understand how big the AFL is, even on world terms - because they would rather believe the exact opposite (many actually do believe the exact opposite, until confronted with the metrics - talk about dispair)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back