Opinion Financial impact on structure of Port, the AFL and long lasting Covid issues

Remove this Banner Ad

True but they can sell management rights to Hilton or other chains. It look like Hilton in UK are looking at both scenarios. Have posted this before - from an August 2018 story

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2018/08/08/stadium-hotels-become-norm/#
I’ve stayed at a Hilton at Ricoh arena home of the Wasps (ruby union) before. Had a view from my bed like being in a corporate box but without any access to the stadium. Wasn’t a game day unfortunately. It might not be a good comparison to AO as it’s a bit out of town and that part of the mid lands is essentially a sprawled industrial area but it was quite a soleless place to stay midweek for work. Not sure I would stay at a stadium Hilton again if given the choice.

Last edited:
Hate the SANFL all you want and I do, but the AFL is just a ministry of the Victorian State Government which only acts in the best interests of Victoria. I wouldn't see them as any type of saviour.
I dont know how the Vic sides stadium deals work, but im pretty sure they are impacted by the owners of the applicable stadiums, and not by the local VFL taking a heavy cut.

Thats always been my biggest issue with the whole set-up.

The playing field isn't level. The AFL clearly funds the VFL and TAC cup, but where does that money come from. The PAFC and AFC basically bankroll the SANFL, and im not sure the Vic clubs do the same. Its unfair.

Thats why if the AFL did take over the SANFL, we might get a fairer deal, and less money pumped into that feeder comp.

I dont know how the Vic sides stadium deals work, but im pretty sure they are impacted by the owners of the applicable stadiums, and not by the local VFL taking a heavy cut.

The playing field isn't level. The AFL clearly funds the VFL and TAC cup, but where does that money come from. The PAFC and AFC basically bankroll the SANFL, and im not sure the Vic clubs do the same. Its unfair.

Thats why if the AFL did take over the SANFL, we might get a fairer deal, and less money pumped into that feeder comp.

Nothing will change until the current arrangement is ended - years away.

All the things you want/need to know are out there, including the junior development that underpins game development in the heartland States.
I dont know the detail for SA, each State is different, one unique SA feature is the deal to buy the AFL clubs by the members, thats a merry go round of the money, do you know how it works?

Can you explain what you are trying to say?

1. Board members are not appointed by the AFL in WA, SA?
2. If you want change on Adelaide Oval, there is an opportunity with the current hotel discussion.
3. AFL footy represents 55% (see REH numbers) of the revenue & the majority are members of the Crows & Port, acting with one voice they will be heard. Dont let the SANFL speak for your 55% of the dollars through the gate.

Thats adds up to DO SOMETHING .... ignore the naysayers that will trot out excuses of why you cant do anything.

Kwality if you include the $10m the SACA collects directly from it's members, then AO generated revenue split looks something like 50% footy events, 32% cricket and 18% other events and functions.

The footy events would be 90% AFL generated as in a season when no AFL finals are played there, the SANFL GF + other finals probably generates the equivalent to 2 AFL games.

Actually more broadly Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Freo and Sydney need to work more closely to combat the rampant Victorian Bias that is only getting worse with no signs of abating.

Whilst I'm not really a fan of the 3 game Grand Final Series concept, I do like the fact the chorus for those speaking out against the corrupt, lowball MCG Grand Final Deal are growing. Even GWS, the AFL's lap dog getting involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard Adam Simpson say, on AFL 360, that the drop in the soft cap will change who they will consider drafting, especially in light of recent events (Sydney Stack I assume) because they can't afford to maintain the support systems they currently have in place.

A roundabout way of saying that they won't be drafting indigenous kids because they are too much effort, which is pretty much exactly what Matt Rendell was highlighting/warning might become a reality all those years ago. Troubling thing to hear really, and neither Robbo or Gerard seemed to pick up on it.

Just heard Adam Simpson say, on AFL 360, that the drop in the soft cap will change who they will consider drafting, especially in light of recent events (Sydney Stack I assume) because they can't afford to maintain the support systems they currently have in place.

A roundabout way of saying that they won't be drafting indigenous kids because they are too much effort, which is pretty much exactly what Matt Rendell was highlighting/warning might become a reality all those years ago. Troubling thing to hear really, and neither Robbo or Gerard seemed to pick up on it.

Bit sweeping your take imho, likely more selective. Stack was highly rated but overlooked.
Compare him with Liam Ryan who was overlooked in 2017 & spent another year with Subi in the WAFL, picked up a year later (2018).

Bit sweeping your take imho, likely more selective. Stack was highly rated but overlooked.
Compare him with Liam Ryan who was overlooked in 2017 & spent another year with Subi in the WAFL, picked up a year later (2018).
clubs wont have the money to be as expansionary in their thinking about who to take a risky punt on.

I don’t see it an issue with Port, with all the work the club does in the Indigenous space. I’d see it more as Vic, NSW and QLD clubs (and Adelaide) who will pull back. WA clubs, come from the place that WA, like SA have always had plenty of indigenous players (and larger Indigenous populations), so I don’t see too much changing there.

I lump Adelaide in with the Eastern state clubs, as they’ve shown repeatedly, they don’t even really try to get anything that doesn’t fit in the ‘loud bogan White male’ box.

I don’t see it an issue with Port, with all the work the club does in the Indigenous space. I’d see it more as Vic, NSW and QLD clubs (and Adelaide) who will pull back. WA clubs, come from the place that WA, like SA have always had plenty of indigenous players (and larger Indigenous populations), so I don’t see too much changing there.

I lump Adelaide in with the Eastern state clubs, as they’ve shown repeatedly, they don’t even really try to get anything that doesn’t fit in the ‘loud bogan White male’ box.
Plus what Andrew McLeod said 2 or 3 months back about the crows attitude to his programs.

Plus what Andrew McLeod said 2 or 3 months back about the crows attitude to his programs.
The perfect case in point of 'group of bogan white blokes can't understand why non-bogan / non-white blokes could have any issues'.

Lisa Alexander - recently sacked coach of the national netball team The Diamonds, and Hawthorn supporter, on Offsiders yesterday said Burgoyne was re-signed because he would be doing coaching stuff next year and the hawks have effectively used the salary cap rules to dodge the footy department soft cap and any taxes paid for going over. They way she spoke, she had been informed by Hawks footy personnel and not just making a wild guess.

I guess the cap dodging / tax dodging has begun.

Lisa Alexander - recently sacked coach of the national netball team The Diamonds, and Hawthorn supporter, on Offsiders yesterday said Burgoyne was re-signed because he would be doing coaching stuff next year and the hawks have effectively used the salary cap rules to dodge the footy department soft cap and any taxes paid for going over. They way she spoke, she had been informed by Hawks footy personnel and not just making a wild guess.

Not sure I have too much of an issue with this as there is a 'penalty' for doing so. You take up a list spot and some of the playing cap (obviously lower proportion than the soft cap). If Hawthorn think that trade off is worth it, god speed to them.

Not sure I have too much of an issue with this as there is a 'penalty' for doing so. You take up a list spot and some of the playing cap (obviously lower proportion than the soft cap). If Hawthorn think that trade off is worth it, god speed to them.
Yeah I don't have a problem, just gotta make sure our club does everything they can to work an advantage around cap reductions eg a Partnership with a uni and private sector company re our fitness department stuff.

If they pay Burgoyne say $100k to play ie minimum base and $100k to coach and pay him $200k as a player good luck to them. Even if its $200k + $100k its probably worth it.

If Boak wants to half give it away early, but he wants to do some coaching at end of 2021 or 2022, I reckon we should consider doing the same.

It's smart

More teams will do it moving forward

They could de-list them and re-rookie to keep it real cheap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back