first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

I was saying the talent levels of BBL teams are relatively equal, therefore we get competitive games. And that's ultimately what's important from an audience perspective. T20 is hit and giggle, so seeing international quality compete against international quality in the IPL isn't inherently more entertaining than watching State level play against State level.

Not sure where this idea the BBL goes on too long comes from, the IPL plays 14 games each and goes for two months, so 10 games and six weeks seems perfectly fine. All we need is a bit more international talent for the duration of the tournament, but that may simply be too difficult when India won't release players and NZ, SA have their summer of cricket, and the crowded schedule of other international teams.

Mind you, I wonder why SA gets more talent, surely they don't have more money than CA.

Not sure about that. Do you prefer watching the premier league or the A-league? The standard absolutely matters, BBL has club cricketers playing in it. It used to be a fairly high standard but not anymore.

Not sure about that. Do you prefer watching the premier league or the A-league? The standard absolutely matters, BBL has club cricketers playing in it. It used to be a fairly high standard but not anymore.
For a brief period while it was on 10 it was probably the most entertaining T20 league in the world. As soon as CA took the rights off them and gave it to Fox it's been on a downward trajectory ever since.

Fox has killed every form of domestic cricket in the country it has gotten its mits on. Go watch old highlights of domestic OD games and you'll see decent crowds at all of them while televised on 9. Rights got bought by Fox and it dropped off quite rapidly, now you'll see about a dozen people at a game mostly just Dads and their kids with it being filmed by what looks like a webcam.

Last edited:
I think its the angst and still ongoing fallout from sandpapergate that still lingers with Mitch and that some players have really not been identified or admitted there wrongdoings during that test, especially the bowling unit.

If you look at the test coming up next week 8 players who where involved during that test at cape town will still be playing.

warner ussie smith marsh starc lyon cummins hazelwood ...

Bancroft Smith and Warner took the wrap and deservedly so. But I still think with Mitch the resentment stems from the bowlers not admitting or owned up to what they where doing on that day and warner getting a farewell test series

Its a shame for those core unit of players regardless of success/failure...the sandpapergate issue will always linger

just my IMO
Fair enough, but makes the drive by on Warner all the stranger.

For a brief period while it was on 10 it was probably the most entertaining T20 league in the world. As soon as CA took the rights off them and gave it to Fox it's been on a downward trajectory ever since.

Fox has killed every form of domestic cricket in the country it has gotten its mits on. Go watch old highlights of domestic OD games and you'll see decent crowds at all of them while televised on 9. Rights got bought by Fox and it dropped off quite rapidly, now you'll see about a dozen people at a game mostly just Dads and their kids with it being filmed by what looks like a webcam.

Yeah they had a good thing going, 7pm every night over summer on FTA and there was nothing else on to watch. And then CA did CA things as they always do.

I was saying the talent levels of BBL teams are relatively equal, therefore we get competitive games. And that's ultimately what's important from an audience perspective. T20 is hit and giggle, so seeing international quality compete against international quality in the IPL isn't inherently more entertaining than watching State level play against State level.

Not sure where this idea the BBL goes on too long comes from, the IPL plays 14 games each and goes for two months, so 10 games and six weeks seems perfectly fine. All we need is a bit more international talent for the duration of the tournament, but that may simply be too difficult when India won't release players and NZ, SA have their summer of cricket, and the crowded schedule of other international teams.

Mind you, I wonder why SA gets more talent, surely they don't have more money than CA.
The BBL goes on too long was only a valid point when back in 2018 and 19 it ended in mid February after kids had long went back to school.
These days it's just code for I hate T20.

Yeah they had a good thing going, 7pm every night over summer on FTA and there was nothing else on to watch. And then CA did CA things as they always do.
I used to finish work at 4 in those days (WST) So I'd be home at around 4.20, chuck the BBL on straight away and enjoy my evening.

Those were the days we had KP, Pollard, Root, Eoin Morgan etc playing .

"It goes too long" is truly odd to me

Isn't more cricket better? No one is forcing you to watch every game or attend them all but it's great coming home and it's there if you want it. NBA runs for 82 games, you're not supposed to watch all 82. It's content if you need it

Get it back to 14 games IMO

I'd love to see them do B2B though. Like NYE at AO, Strikers could play both Sydney teams in the same day. Still less cricket than an ODI, 2 different matches to watch. I think it'd work having 1 of these for each team during the season

Isn't more cricket better? No one is forcing you to watch every game or attend them all but it's great coming home and it's there if you want it. NBA runs for 82 games, you're not supposed to watch all 82. It's content if you need it

I'd love to see them do B2B though. Like NYE at AO, Strikers could play both Sydney teams in the same day. Still less cricket than an ODI, 2 different matches to watch. I think it'd work having 1 of these for each team during the season
You'd love to be the second team playing that day.

BBL has always had club cricketers in it, even when it was at its best.

It's really not about the quality of players involved - apparently the highest rating BBL match was the 14/15 final, in which the internationals were Michael Lumb, Riki Wessels, Yasir Arafat and Michael Carberry, none of them household names.

And Australian players included Ashton Turner and AJ Tye (who had about ten FC games between them at that point), Ryan Carters (NSW's third-string keeper?), Michael Klinger was aged 34, Brett Lee was 38 and Brad Hogg was 43. It was great when Warnie played but his teammates included Clive Rose, Alex Keath and Scott Henry.

Our dear T20 players be all tuckered out after a whopping 40 overs or less that it'd be a huge advantage?
That aside it's still a big advantage. Strikers front line bowlers have all bowled four overs flat out and someone has made 90* off 53 meanwhile the Sixers are fresh off the bus.

That aside it's still a big advantage. Strikers front line bowlers have all bowled four overs flat out and someone has made 90* off 53 meanwhile the Sixers are fresh off the bus.
Make an equal case they have their eye in, experienced the wicket etc

It's 4 overs, you could change squads like any other game. They need to do something different evidently, I think this is worth a shot compared to all the other gimmicky crap the league's thrown out

BBL has always had club cricketers in it, even when it was at its best.

It's really not about the quality of players involved - apparently the highest rating BBL match was the 14/15 final, in which the internationals were Michael Lumb, Riki Wessels, Yasir Arafat and Michael Carberry, none of them household names.

And Australian players included Ashton Turner and AJ Tye (who had about ten FC games between them at that point), Ryan Carters (NSW's third-string keeper?), Michael Klinger was aged 34, Brett Lee was 38 and Brad Hogg was 43. It was great when Warnie played but his teammates included Clive Rose, Alex Keath and Scott Henry.
None of that has anything to do with what I said.

Agree with the sentiment though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 players have opened the batting in one or more Sheffield Shield matches this year. With averages:

Bancroft (57)
Burns (43) - only one game as opener
Whiteman (36)
Renshaw (31)
Harris (31)
Ward (29)
Hunt (25)
Street (24)
Dean (23)
Hughes (22)
Pucovski (21) - mostly at 3
Weatherald (20) - opened once
Hackney (17)
Smith (16)
Jewell (15)
Carder (14)

Pretty slim pickings, but Bancroft clearly the standout. Had been really hoping we'd see the likes of Hunt and Ward step up this year, with test spots up for grabs.

It used to be just a Tassie thing where you would have players like Doolan and Silk average 50 one year, 20 the next. Now it is every single batsman in the shield :(

Premier League to A-League is like comparing Tests to Shield. I don't see the same divide in T20s because it's largely hit-and-giggle, prone to swings on one excellent performance etc. I am more entertained by the BBL than I am by Australian international T20s. Case in point, I didn't end up watching one of the five Australia/India games (second string,but clearly 'better' than BBL level) but will be in front of the TV the moment the Scorchers start on Sunday.

No, it wouldn’t.
If it was their primary concern?
Yeah, maybe. If it was football. Yeah, maybe, but it’s not.

It’s not a tribal game where every contest is meaningful so once it’s obvious who is a contender and who isn’t, the games carry less and less importance. It’s the diet version of cricket for most fans and players so yeah you can definitely have too much of it

I think there's big money from either the BCCI or the IPL franchise owners involved in it and the IPL teams are expanding to other countries, if you look at the SA teams they all use IPL franchise names. So if the IPL did the same here and took over the BBL you'd be getting new franchises with IPL branding like the Perth Kings, Royal Challengers Brisbane, Canberra Super Kings, Sydney Sunrisers and the Melbourne Indians (not even really joking with this one, the SA franchise are "MI Cape Town").

I came across an interview a while back where one of the IPL franchise owners was plotting out a hellish future for cricket where IPL owners would establish T20 leagues around the world and they'd sign players to exclusively play for their own franchise and have them travel around the world playing in a never-ending T20 circus.

Just on Bancroft people seem to forget his article from a couple of years ago basically alleging the bowlers knew about the sandpaper plan, considering Cummins is now captain and the response from all the bowers at the time, it would be hard to imagine they'd be overly keen on letting him back into the fold. Personally think Renshaw would be better suited and he is younger.

Just on Bancroft people seem to forget his article from a couple of years ago basically alleging the bowlers knew about the sandpaper plan, considering Cummins is now captain and the response from all the bowers at the time, it would be hard to imagine they'd be overly keen on letting him back into the fold. Personally think Renshaw would be better suited and he is younger.

That reflects worse on them than it does on him.

Until everyone involved in that Test has retired and had their say about what happened in Cape Town it's like a sword of Damocles hanging over the team.

Warner will get the first chance to speak candidly about it all. He'd be bursting at the seams to tell the world who was in on it and who he took the fall for. Yet to be seen how deep he drops in the 4 Aus/NSW bowlers.

Warner will get the first chance to speak candidly about it all. He'd be bursting at the seams to tell the world who was in on it and who he took the fall for. Yet to be seen how deep he drops in the 4 Aus/NSW bowlers.
so interview with Crash Craddock, a Fox Cricket exclusive?

first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back