Fixture Fixture 2022

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Toby Greene’s first game back, and his first game as co-captain, will actually be against us in round 6 … (of course it is!)

This is because he already missed a week of GWS finals series, IIRC.

We’ll be playing in Canberra tho, so not to worry - Jack Steele will be at full power.
Highmore is a Canberra boy too

Should I grow a long heavily cultivated beard and slick my hair back before I visit???

Yes, it's a prerequisite, don't have pants on that meet your ankles either but your dirty old faded flannelette shirt will get nods of respect. Actually the hipster with a big Ned Kelly beard is probably a bit 5 years ago. Now a waxed w***er moustache and dressing like a circus acrobat from the 1920s with a tight wooly jumped straight on the skin, wide legged short cut trousers with braces that pull up so that you get a camel toe and unfathomably hard to lace up boots would be more fitting now. Keep the slick hair but grow it so that it tucks behind your ears and you'll be good.

Patto or Webster will blanket him and he'll get suspended again with a punch behind play

Clark will be making awesome in-roads in the midfield at the start of the season, ....then when he rotates through defence, Greene will shatter his face with a roundhouse.
6 weeks injured and won't be the same for the rest of the season.
Greene - 2 weeks, cos...StKilda.

Ok, Round 3 Docklands/Round 4 the G .I stay up town all over the place regularly.

ATLANTIS is good - cheap - about $100 for a room - $20 to park car on site - pool - and breakfast in diner down stairs - choice of 2 things eggs or baked beans for the hot stuff .👌
For a bit more you can stay at QUEST DOCKLANDS which is 100 metres from Gate 2 to Docklands. So close you can sneak back for a frothy in the room at half time, and pre-game see Gate 2 crowds entering the ground so decide when to make a move 👌Docklands I find pretty quiet part of town [ absolutely dead in the morning for a brekkie venue- and pretty quiet after game too] ]

For G Mantra on Jolimont 250 metre walk to ground - great old hotel but just don't get overlooking the railway lines heading into Flinders St cause you won't sleep after 5.15 in the morning.
Walk into Swan St/Bridge Rd for some great pubs and bit of live music.
Cheaper option and quieter KNIGHTSBRIDGE APARTMENTS /EAST MELBOURNE - just above Jolimont Station - get a free park with room for about $100 and roll down the hill into the G.

Get back to me [ probably should be a new thread on this :laughing: ]
Victoria Hotel on Little Collins is highly recommended. I stay there when I travel down for work or footy. Right in the heart of town. 2 min walk to Y&Js which is a great footy pub.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
How is the draw determined anyway?
Without even delving into the intricacies of TV rights, "blockbuster games", media darlings, club membership, expected crowds, ground capacity and clubs trading away home games - the basic starting point is

"With 18 teams playing 22 games in a 23-round season, all clubs are hit with ‘double-up’ match-ups, where certain sides play games against each other twice during the year.

The AFL uses a ‘weighted rule’ to determine who plays each other twice, breaking the 18 teams into three groups: the top six teams from the previous year’s ladder, the middle six and bottom six.

This means teams that finish in the bottom six are limited to playing just one team from the top six twice the next season, and vice versa."

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
How is the draw determined anyway?

The AFL does it's favourite teams first.

Then Gil yells "feed them the scraps", laughing menacingly before retreating into his lair.

The rest at AFL HQ members then discuss "what the worst draw would look like for St Kilda". They then compile it, laughing and saying things like "We couldn't, could we?".

One person then says "I'm sleepy. Let's just give it to them again" and they leave early for a session at Goldfingers.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good sides win on the road. We usually don't so that tells a story.

Until we can consistently win interstate our fixture will always appear tough on paper.

Ironically, the only place we consistently win interstate is Gold Coast so the AFL kindly skipped that one for us
We won interstate this year against GWS, Brisbane, Freo and Gold Coast and went down narrowly to West Coast in Perth, Sydney in Sydney, and Adelaide (after leading 36-0, with about half our best team missing).

It was our performances at Marvel that really cost us this year.

The AFL does it's favourite teams first.

Then Gil yells "feed them the scraps", laughing menacingly before retreating into his lair.

The rest at AFL HQ members then discuss "what the worst draw would look like for St Kilda". They then compile it, laughing and saying things like "We couldn't, could we?".

One person then says "I'm sleepy. Let's just give it to them again" and they leave early for a session at Goldfingers.

Season opener Richmond Carlton .....comment by Gil..."nothing i can do about it they called dibs "
Next game drawn from hat. StKilda port . Channel 7 exec slaps Gil in the back of the head ... Gil puts the two cards aside and draws 2 more until his head doesn't get slapped.
Rinse and repeat.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good sides win on the road. We usually don't so that tells a story.

Until we can consistently win interstate our fixture will always appear tough on paper.

Ironically, the only place we consistently win interstate is Gold Coast so the AFL kindly skipped that one for us
We managed to play finals in 2020 without playing too many games in Victoria.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
So according to our next difficult fixture we finished 5th this season. But I can't recall us making the finals this year, maybe a vaccine side-effect? What a joke, every damn year.

Does anyone have the proposed fixture difficulty from last year, just to see how it compares to how it actually turned out?

PlayerNumber9

Number 9
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Getting Sydney is nothing to stress about either, 1st game this year went down by 9 pts and beat them rnd 21

I don’t rate Sydney. They were flying when we met them the first time but they could only just beat us. Yet when we were up later in the year we flogged them. I suspect their easy draw helped.

I wasn’t surprised when they went down to GWS in the EF.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Inner North if you still want proper pubs with music in them. Otherwise try to find something around Richmond for old school pubs and maybe the Corner for music and still close to the footy but Fitzroy and Collingwood won't take long either.

Off topic somewhat re footy...but what is the Corner like these days? It used to be a great spot for music, same with the old Punters club, and Espy. I know the Espy has had a sex change and the Punters is long dead...but it would be nice if ONE of the old dinosaurs still stand.

PlayerNumber9

Number 9
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
True, but I think our season was pretty much derailed right from the start by injuries and Paddy’s absence last year. Not the only reason, but a large part of it I think.

When we copped some bad early losses we lost confidence and that was the end of our hopes. We’ve got too many players who aren’t mentally strong, although that might have started to change late last season.

If we can get fit and healthy and get a good start to the season, we might be able to avoid being put under that pressure.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, it's a prerequisite, don't have pants on that meet your ankles either but your dirty old faded flannelette shirt will get nods of respect. Actually the hipster with a big Ned Kelly beard is probably a bit 5 years ago. Now a waxed w***er moustache and dressing like a circus acrobat from the 1920s with a tight wooly jumped straight on the skin, wide legged short cut trousers with braces that pull up so that you get a camel toe and unfathomably hard to lace up boots would be more fitting now. Keep the slick hair but grow it so that it tucks behind your ears and you'll be good.

WTF has happened down there...explain yourselves?

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Off topic somewhat re footy...but what is the Corner like these days? It used to be a great spot for music, same with the old Punters club, and Espy. I know the Espy has had a sex change and the Punters is long dead...but it would be nice if ONE of the old dinosaurs still stand.
Been a while since I've been to gigs in Melb (just like everyone else) but the Corner was still great.

Gershwin Room has survived the reno's at the Espy.

Old favs like Cherry Bar and Toff in Town are still there along with the Gaso and the Tote.

Newer places like Section 8 are great but I'm getting a bit old for their demographic.

botts

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been a while since I've been to gigs in Melb (just like everyone else) but the Corner was still great.

Old favs like Cherry Bar and Toff in Town are still there along with the Gaso and the Tote.

Newer places like Section 8 are great but I'm getting a bit old for their demographic.
Gershwin room did survive the Reno. It’s the last piece of soul remaining left at the espy.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

The Tote is still going?? Well that brings a smile to my face. Surprisingly the music scene in Ireland is a bit stiff and stuffy. Loads of good trad music...as well as shite...but when it comes to bands there seems to be feck all except for cover bands, or some dick with a guitar pining over a girl that doesn't notice him. It's pretty bland.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
The easy start is huge, we always seem to hit an early wall and it makes it really hard psychologically. Melbourne grew off early season form and belief built by the week. I honestly can't remember ever getting such an easy lead in ever. We need Ratts to keep it simple and play like we did late season, no experimental sh*t.
2021 - Zappa
2022 - AC/DC

Back