VFL Footscray vs Essendon, Whitten Oval 11:35

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones did his usual cameo things, some good others not so. Seems to spend a lot of time on the bench in the 2nd half of games. Time is on his side.
Parker I'm thinking maybe a miss. Big query on skill level and looks a bit of a plodder. May be a better backman than a winger. Early days but not over impressed.
Parker seems a long termer we'll have to keep on the rookie list 2-3 years before knowing for sure whether he's worth it. Reckon he's the type who could have a high ceiling, but very low floor. More athlete than footballer currently, so will take time before he's able to consistently contribute

Jones will never be the sort of guy to take a VFL game by storm. Strikes me as a guy that won’t look out of place at AFL level when he get his chance through pure pace and skill alone. Low possession impact player.

Exactly the type of player we need

Jones will never be the sort of guy to take a VFL game by storm. Strikes me as a guy that won’t look out of place at AFL level when he get his chance through pure pace and skill alone. Low possession impact player.

I tend to agree and I really do like what I see of Jones. Just not sure we should expose him to AFL just yet though. Gets pushed off the ball way too easily as he's built like a rake at the moment.

Khamis looks threatening every time the ball is delivered him properly and deserves a run in the seniors. He has improved a lot since his debut and is exciting and has some flair, which is what you need in that senior side. Nice foot skills, too. Jones goes in and out of it but looks classy and lovely running goal from him. More time in the VFL to become more consistent should see him blossom. West looks like he is busting his arse out there, as tough as a cats head and set up numerous attacks with his effort. Deserves a run in the Seniors.

Parker seems a long termer we'll have to keep on the rookie list 2-3 years before knowing for sure whether he's worth it. Reckon he's the type who could have a high ceiling, but very low floor. More athlete than footballer currently, so will take time before he's able to consistently contribute
Maybe so. However, I don't see much of an athlete out there either.

His proper position is in defence. I don't know why we are playing him forward of the ball?

Full stats breakdown coming after the AFL match, but here is the player table (sorted by ranking points)...
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 2.58.02 pm.png
kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Anyone else get Arthur Jones and Joel Garner mixed up?

I didn't think West deserved to come into the side from what I've seen of him previously. I think he did on that performance. Thought he used the ball much smarter and got the ball into dangerous areas of the ground. He looked a lot more hungrier and switched on today.

Turning 25 this year though so not sure a long term project is ideal in his case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turning 25 this year though so not sure a long term project is ideal in his case
Has a cricket background. Basically only one year in the SANFL system, and hasn't done full development pre-season. Agree he's been disappointing especially given thr SANFL is arguably a higher standard and he was playing better there, but we knew he was gonna be a multiple-year prospect type when we got him irrespective of age

It’s been obvious from JUH’s first game that he’s nervous and uncomfortable. I think his confidence in being able to adapt to the top level would be dropping and he needs to be given the opportunity to grab a few games by the scruff of the neck to prove to himself that he’s capable. If he can’t do that at VFL level then I fear for what he can do in first team.

Sorry for the slow reply, been out all day.

Fair point, but you could also build his confidence by not dropping him every five minutes and helping him work through things. Let's be honest, he wasn't the worst last week and could have done with a bit of time against a weakened Essendon defence this week. Particularly under perfect conditions indoors as opposed to a blustery WO this week.

But there are multiple ways to do this - not saying I'm right and your wrong, just I struggle to see that we're managing his development well at all.

Sorry for the slow reply, been out all day.

Fair point, but you could also build his confidence by not dropping him every five minutes and helping him work through things. Let's be honest, he wasn't the worst last week and could have done with a bit of time against a weakened Essendon defence this week. Particularly under perfect conditions indoors as opposed to a blustery WO this week.

But there are multiple ways to do this - not saying I'm right and your wrong, just I struggle to see that we're managing his development well at all.

When do we start to worry that JUH pick 1 maybe a Josh Schache pick 2. I would say I am a little concerned at the moment thought he would shown more but still way to early to call. However from what I have seen he seems to have good forward craft and skills but there is something missing. Hoping it is just strength which he will no doubt develop over time and experience. The way we deliver the ball to our forwards in both grades is no help to a young player.

Jones did his usual cameo things, some good others not so. Seems to spend a lot of time on the bench in the 2nd half of games. Time is on his side.
Parker I'm thinking maybe a miss. Big query on skill level and looks a bit of a plodder. May be a better backman than a winger. Early days but not over impressed.
I didn’t watch today, but I thought Parker’s looked pretty good in the games I’ve seen (he did miss some gettable shots at goal).

He looks aggressive, has a turn of pace and a penetrating kick. I recall reading that he also has a massive tank. I think his strengths will stand up to the next level.

His still only building match fitness coming off a injury.

Was a great sight seeing all the young VFL listed players come into their own against Bombers
A lot stood up during Bombers run in the 3rd and 4th Q

Great signs of development

Was a great sight seeing all the young VFL listed players come into their own against Bombers

Vanderheuval in particular is becoming a really reliable mark. A key defender his size has to be on our draft radar.

That's two in a row like that. Even if the Bombers were a bit undermanned themselves.

There appear to be some good development happening with individuals like Cleary and Khamis but the team spirit and cohesion is just as encouraging.

Didn’t watch today but damn Buku up forward is exciting - another marking target yes pls
What I like most is he doesn't get out marked often and is a very good kick for goal.... It's been an impressive 3 weeks. Still feel his endurance may be an issue at the top level but earned a call up IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back