Opinion Footy Tragic list analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Good write up. Used to work with the author a few years back. Good bloke, quite type but super smart and always loved his stats.

An excellent read TCT but shows his bias against a certain player (Conca). Was surprised (pleasantly) at the Chaplin information.

As others have suggested King, Nahas and Sheds will not be best 22 nor will, IMO, be our small forward combination in round 1.

I suspect McDonough may play a much bigger role this season than King does in our forward line.

The stats regarding A Edwards were telling in my opinion too. Was the reason I was sceptical about his recruitment. Everyone seems to have him as a walk up start in the best 22 but I'm not so sure. I hope he stands up in a couple of big games as those stats show he's usually nowhere to be seen which is the memories I have of him at North.

The stats regarding A Edwards were telling in my opinion too. Was the reason I was sceptical about his recruitment. Everyone seems to have him as a walk up start in the best 22 but I'm not so sure. I hope he stands up in a couple of big games as those stats show he's usually nowhere to be seen which is the memories I have of him at North.
It's not about what a players stats were at their previous club, it's about the effort they're putting into the new club, how much they fulfil their role in the team and how much they alleviate any deficiencies they had at their previous club.

Give him a chance.

Agreed Johnno. Of course he may well show some improvement in that area. For forwards, it can all come down to how they gel with other forwards and their egos, etc.

Personally, I hope Edwards simply plays the role of backup option if we lose a Jack or Vickery.

We already have McGuane who is good at kicking goals when we're winning :D

Great article, shows our significant weaknesses quite clearly:

Consistent midfield grunt and tackling power remained far too reliant on Tuck and Foley

Defensive-50 rebound is still appalling (the worst in the league) despite us being apparently 'locked and loaded' for quality running defenders.

And despite having the ball in the hands of our 'great ball users' going inside-50 more than any other collective midfield group in the league, the job isn't getting done - as our rankings reflect all too clearly. Partly that's been a personnel issue up forward, but far more an issue of poor coaching and poor setup, IMO. We're beyond predictable far too often going forward and whoever is playing there, they seldom get given the upper hand in a one-on-one contest.

Better coaches get more from a lesser talent pool. Let's hope we do better in this area in 2013.

It's not about what a players stats were at their previous club, it's about the effort they're putting into the new club, how much they fulfil their role in the team and how much they alleviate any deficiencies they had at their previous club.

Give him a chance.

More than happy to give him a chance. Doesn't mean I can't have reservations. Overall I still think he has improved our list.

I would simply love to see him silence doubters like me with a couple of strong games early against quality opponents.

More than happy to give him a chance. Doesn't mean I can't have reservations. Overall I still think he has improved our list.

I would simply love to see him silence doubters like me with a couple of strong games early against quality opponents.
The other thing you could read in to that stat is that the midfeild delivering to him couldn't cope with a good opposing midfeild and it had nothing to do with him at all - stats!!!!!!

I loved
Led by newly appointed 22 year old captain Trent Cotchin, the midfield is where Richmond is most impressive. We could harp on for hours and have a group Kumbaya about how great Cotchin is but any fan of the AFL knows the story goes and already has their Cotchin man-crush rating at maximum levels. That being said, I can’t help myself.

Cotchin blends together every element of what you want in a footballer, only with perfect hair and the demeanour of a flawless human. There’s really nothing more to add here. He’s headed for the Lenny Hayes
“Impossible to hate” Hall of Fame with the way he plays the game, and is one player who doesn’t wow you statistically but rates arguably higher than anyone else when it comes to the eye test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a great read.
In fact, I may even have to give it another read!
Lot's of information there.
Very critical of Conca but needs to remember that he's only played 2 years of AFL football.
I think his opinion of Conca may change as this year progresses; I'm expecting big things from him in '13.

Bring on the season!

Really good read, certainly better than many others I've looked at :thumbsu:. It's difficult with the new recruits ie Conca. I think if they have the skill and have earned their position then play them but there is always that chance that exposing young and maybe under physically developed players can lead to long stints of injury time which then kind of defeats the play/develop aspect of early exposure. I don't have a simple solution. Me personally, I think Conca will start to really shine in his 5th season at the club but would be more than happy if he proves me wrong by a country mile. I'm unashamedly a fan of his.

Conca's got through a couple of seasons(including the difficult 2nd year), got lots of games into him, just going to benefit in the long run.

He will be in a good position to take on a tuck-like role in a year or two.

By end of this year he should be up to 50+ games and should be working those little mistakes out of his game.

I expect him to be stepping up by end of this year

Consistent midfield grunt and tackling power remained far too reliant on Tuck and Foley

Defensive-50 rebound is still appalling (the worst in the league) despite us being apparently 'locked and loaded' for quality running defenders.

And despite having the ball in the hands of our 'great ball users' going inside-50 more than any other collective midfield group in the league, the job isn't getting done - as our rankings reflect all too clearly. Partly that's been a personnel issue up forward, but far more an issue of poor coaching and poor setup, IMO. We're beyond predictable far too often going forward and whoever is playing there, they seldom get given the upper hand in a one-on-one contest.

Better coaches get more from a lesser talent pool. Let's hope we do better in this area in 2013.
Being last for actual rebounds is a result of when our opponent enters the fifty, more often than not they score. When they don't, and we win the ball back, we score at the 5th best rate in the comp. That's a real strength, and points to the quality of Grigg, Newy, Morris, Houli, bringing the ball out of the back line. Chaplin, and a fit Grimes, points to us winning more ball once an opponent enters our back line, which if the 2012 trend continues, we'll score more often than not.

Being last for actual rebounds is a result of when our opponent enters the fifty, more often than not they score. When they don't, and we win the ball back, we score at the 5th best rate in the comp. That's a real strength, and points to the quality of Grigg, Newy, Morris, Houli, bringing the ball out of the back line. Chaplin, and a fit Grimes, points to us winning more ball once an opponent enters our back line, which if the 2012 trend continues, we'll score more often than not.

Great catch turtle.

At face value I would have thought our rebound improved last year, yours is quite probably a large reason why that's not reflected in the stats.

Pretty good appraisal of where we are at, in my books. It suggests that the onus now falls to our recruiting prowess and basis that prowess on historic evidence. Which is good, but at the end of the day it is another test of the current recruiters and their skill in finding players. But as we all know, the proof is in the eating, so next test is about to unfold.

A great read, it's just his opinion but I think this statement sums up our year, "It’s a shame this buffet of forward fifty entries were largely wasted on the likes of a triple teamed Jack Riewoldt, washed up Brad Miller, and combination of Tyrone Vickery’s hollow corpse and Luke McGuane."

another thread another dig by you on our coching staff.....IMO you were more on the money when you said "partly that's been a personnel issue".....you did read the part where the author of the article states" triple teamed JR,has been miller,hollow body vickery etc.......let it go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back