List Mgmt. Calling All Armchair List Managers: Give Us Your Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

The years of a full rebuild are over IMO, looking at our team circa 14/15 we had a similar amount of core players in that 23-28 range compared to now.

Grigg, Houli, Riewoldt, Edwards, Rance, Cotchin, Astbury, Martin, Grimes, Lambert
v
Short, Baker, Hopper, Taranto, Bolton, Rioli, Graham, Balta, Young (Nank - 29). With some other role players/guys yet to prove themselves in Miller, Cumberland, Ryan, Koschitzke and so on.

Compare that core to when Dimma took over. Players in the 23-28 range were:
Newman, Deledio, Tuck, Moore, Graham, Polak, Polo, McGuane, Adam Thomson, Tambling, Morton, Matt White, Jake King, Thursfield, Relton Roberts, Jackson, McMahon, Foley.

Lids and Newman guns. Tuck, Moore, Foley, Jackson solid. The rest were pretty much duds, with some being awful. It's no surprise we required a full clean out.

We ended up winning a flag in a couple of years and immediately after an awful year in 2016. Grigg and Rance were only apart of 1 flag. With free agency, future pick trading, mid-season drafting and potentially even mid season trading, you can accelerate your rise up the ladder a lot faster than when we started a rebuild back in 2010. If players want to leave then just cross that bridge when we come to it and get the best deal we can (eg Deledio, Vickery, C.Ellis, Miles - remember these guys were touted as being part of our next flag).

Additionally, we've seen what a change of environment and coach can do to teams. No better example than us from 2016 to 2017. Collingwood with McRae. Lyon with the Saints. Essentially the same playing list but vastly different looking teams to their predecessors. Yze has a good opportunity to have a similar impact. Get the most out of our core and keeping bringing some youngsters through and suddenly in a year or two we'll have a solid team. Then you can add via free agency, perhaps some aggressive trading depending on where we are at.

Free agency is based mostly on age and total contract value. We need to stop dreaming we’d get anything but one of the last 2 x compensation bands for Martin. Nobody is offering more than 2-years, and nobody is offering more than $1.5m total contract. He’s turning 34yo in 2025.

Graham would be offered probably a 4-year deal at $2m total. This will be second last band. I wound the trying hard to convince him to stay, but either way not a big deal.

Based on the paltry return we’d be better off keeping Martin.

I’m going way against the flow of public opinion here, but no reason we can’t bounce back up the ladder pretty quickly.

We just need something resembling a decent run with injury. And half a dozen current youngsters to emerge for remainder of 2024. But if we want a ‘bounce’ we need to get games into the kids ASAP!

The doom and gloom is a media narrative and not what they’d be thinking in house - we would’ve beaten Carlton if not for 2 on the bench from halftime including our 2 x key backs which forced Balta back.

Then we were very competitive against Port on the back of 6 x injury forced changes… and an umpire rogering.

We’ve played 32 players in 3 games. That’s a seasons worth for many clubs.

Move on the older guys who are no longer helping us. Move on any trade value who is no longer helping us (eg Graham). Keep everyone else who helps us win no matter the age.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know it’s only one game, and there will be ups and downs this season, but given the injuries we’ve copped we are going ok.

Don’t get sucked in by media narratives smashing our ‘youth’ … our list is in OK shape.

Jeez a win throws a different light on things.

It’s not just the win this week. We played good footy for just over a half v GC. We likely would’ve beaten Blues but for 3 x in-game injuries. Then we were competitive against Port after 6 x injury forced changes through the week - game would’ve been a lot closer but for umpire rogering.

People fall in way too easily to the media narrative that the Tigers are screwed and the list is a shambles. The win today will build
confidence, and it has shown a fair bit more talent that we’ve been given credit for.

Doesn’t necessarily mean this won’t be a tough year, but I’m confident we are on the right track.

Young kids that played today
Campbell
Banks
Sonsie
Brown
Mrj
Dow

I have not checked but i would guess we would have atleast 12/13 players with less than 50 games

Dow (20 odd games)
Mansell (30 odd games)
Miller (just under 30 games)
MRJ (30 odd games)
Campbell (4 games)
Brown (3 games)
Sonsie (just over 10 games)
Young (20 odd games)
Banks (around 10 games)
Lefau (2 games)

We have a good draft hand have to nail it and get creative. Few of our senior players will leave get maximum value. Hit free agency and pluck a few kids not getting game time at the top clubs. It's not as bleek as people make it to be.

We will be forced to lick s**t now this year with lynch and balta done just as we hit form. It will be good to blood the underbelly. I liked what I saw against Sydney. Still need 4-5 A graders around the young crop.

Interesting to hear Bolton on the rebuilds at Carlton and Hawthorn, specifically in relation to cutting too deep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back