Opinion Footy Tragic list analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Do yourself a favour and have a read of this, absolutely outstanding analysis of our list and preview of the season ahead.
Goes way more in depth then any other I have seen so far and very accurate, no rubbish about us topping up and doing a Crazy Vossy which is totally unfair and wrong.

http://bit.ly/12JYaGQ

Very good TCT...Wasn't aware of that website, but will be following now... :thumbsu:
What did you think of Scotty's best 22...?
I'm thinking Newman forward of centre, and replace him with Batchelor...
Don't think we can have S.Edwards, King and Nahas together up forward, but who goes...?

He's right in a lot of areas, think theres a few players that will step up that he didn't really mention to much - griff, conca, ellis
I think they would try play Vickery FF over Edwards if they were going to try and push jack up the ground a bit.

Pretty good although i dont agree with the conca rating. If nothing is stated about turnovers from other players(eg foley) then why pick on conca.

Also nothing of note stated about vickerys' injury or early season injuries to astbury which affected the fwd line impact.

Dont like his best 22 either.

Great write up - thanks for sharing that TCT.

Especially liked the bit about Choco being our biggest off season recruit and strengthening our experience on and off the field.

Interesting to see his best 22 didn't include Conca, Batchelor and Vlastuin. I would have all 3 in the side personally. Not sure who would be pushed out though - Jackson, King and someone else. (could get used to hard decisions on who should be squeezed out of the team!)

Pretty good although i dont agree with the conca rating. If nothing is stated about turnovers from other players(eg foley) then why pick on conca.

Also nothing of note stated about vickerys' injury or early season injuries to astbury which affected the fwd line impact.

Dont like his best 22 either.

Yep agree with you Flea - if anything Conca is that inside/outside type he said Martin was. I would wager a lot of Conca's turnovers come from crashing into a pack and then the quick kick out. When he has time and space, he normally always makes the right decision or kicks to our advantage.

Best 22 was close to mine but missing Conca and Batchelor - and I probably would have Vlastuin as sub (unless his NAB cup form suggests he isn't quite ready, or possibly even McDonogohue).

Newman should be pushing higher up the ground (not in the back 6 as listed) and Vickery probably should start at CHF (with Jack at FF - Edwards playing as a third tall) where his mobility and strong marking can be maximised to clunk onto marks coming from the midfield (an area where we struggle heaps).

Only had time to breeze through that for now and a lot of it is on the money but...
Don't agree that Lids and Dusty are classified as outside mids, even Conca works OK inside.
Also don't therefore agree with Foley & Dusty on wings????
Jack at CHF & A. Edwards at FF???

I guess it is just an opinion piece.... who is Scotty Barby anyway?

Only had time to breeze through that for now and a lot of it is on the money but...
Don't agree that Lids and Dusty are classified as outside mids, even Conca works OK inside.
Also don't therefore agree with Foley & Dusty on wings????
Jack at CHF & A. Edwards at FF???

I guess it is just an opinion piece.... who is Scotty Barby anyway?

A footy tragic, like us...?
Except you Roachy8, you could play... :p

His 22 ain't far off Conca for Nahas appears logical , as all of the midfielders can and should be rested forward . His critiscm of Conca's disposal is warranted IMO , I just hope with building of the tank and experience he improves in this area .
Some of his attempts of humour where sub par other that a good read , thanks for sharing TCT .

Chaplin ranked ninth in interceptions last season and managed to lead the competition in 2011, whilst also ranking 26thoverall for one percenters at six per game.

that caught my eye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most of it, except for his Best 22, and his criticism of the forward line in terms of not capitalising on the midfields inside 50 dominations.

It's easy to assume that on stats, but watching the games, we just bomb it long, to a congested forward line. We don't hit players on the lead. That is as much the midfielders fault as it is the forwards, so it's harsh to blame it just on the forwards.

Seems to me he just read the stats and made a lot of assumptions.(must post on BF in his spare time:eek::rolleyes:) The overall standard of our delivery into the forward line was abysmal for a start. Quantity does not automatically amount to quality.

Yep agree with you Flea - if anything Conca is that inside/outside type he said Martin was. I would wager a lot of Conca's turnovers come from crashing into a pack and then the quick kick out. When he has time and space, he normally always makes the right decision or kicks to our advantage.

Best 22 was close to mine but missing Conca and Batchelor - and I probably would have Vlastuin as sub (unless his NAB cup form suggests he isn't quite ready, or possibly even McDonogohue).

Newman should be pushing higher up the ground (not in the back 6 as listed) and Vickery probably should start at CHF (with Jack at FF - Edwards playing as a third tall) where his mobility and strong marking can be maximised to clunk onto marks coming from the midfield (an area where we struggle heaps).

Yeah mate i just think he has a early mindset about him and then you tend to slant your view about it. I know plenty of our players turn it over sometimes yet no mention of that. Also the CD definition can be skewed abit as well. The best 22 is off as well with conca a definate, while griff not mentioned much also. All in all pretty good but just a few things i disagree with. Griffiths is the pivot player as with him playing we lose a mid/fwd in the mix.

Good read, plenty of people here are picking apart little nuances from the article but the fact is nothing he says would please everyone here as we all have different opinions. The fact that he seemed to reach his opinions based on accurate analysis of our 2012 season is what makes this such a good read, not often do you see articles where the author actually has a thorough understanding of the list, gameplan and strengths/weaknesses of the team.

FWIW, I think his best 22 was pretty solid other than the forward line. I doubt any of Knights, Edwards and King will be playing round 1, and definitely not all 3 as we'd be way too small.

FWIW, I think his best 22 was pretty solid other than the forward line. I doubt any of Knights, Edwards and King will be playing round 1, and definitely not all 3 as we'd be way too small.
Griffiths (if fit) and Conca were the 2 notables missing IMO, that and Vickery will be starting ahead of Edwards.

Griffiths (if fit) and Conca were the 2 notables missing IMO

Yep, but I'd have them into the side to replace the 3 forwards I mentioned. Well, 2 of the 3. Then shuffle it around, Vickery onto the field up forward, Conca onto the bench, Martin forward, Newman wing, Griffiths back. Something like that.

God I would love to line up one day with Vickery at CHF, Jack at FF & Griffo in the forward pocket.
Crumb with Edwards & Nahas/Knights & throw in a resting Cotch, Dusty or Lids and the scoreboard would blow a valve IMO.

I know, I know... Griffiths will play back....

Still trying to work out how that will work IF Chaplin, Rance & Grimes are all fit though... :cool:

Good solid read, sold our forwardline short IMO, The midfield just bombs it in and hopes for the best and we were missing Tyrone who is the key as I see it, also, what he said about chappy caught my eye and with the addition of grimes hopefully for a full season, things are looking great, I cant wait for conca to prove him wrong this year and hopefully for someone to kick Jacko out of our best 22.:thumbsu:

Asked Scotty about the best 22 and he said he would have loved to have been able to select 26 instead of 22, but couldn't.

I agree with most of it, except for his Best 22, and his criticism of the forward line in terms of not capitalising on the midfields inside 50 dominations.

It's easy to assume that on stats, but watching the games, we just bomb it long, to a congested forward line. We don't hit players on the lead. That is as much the midfielders fault as it is the forwards, so it's harsh to blame it just on the forwards.
If you read through it again you will see that he does have some criticism of the midfield unit and how they lacked in a few areas.

God I would love to line up one day with Vickery at CHF, Jack at FF & Griffo in the forward pocket.
Crumb with Edwards & Nahas/Knights & throw in a resting Cotch, Dusty or Lids and the scoreboard would blow a valve IMO.

I know, I know... Griffiths will play back....

Still trying to work out how that will work IF Chaplin, Rance & Grimes are all fit though... :cool:

I think they will all fit in well. IMO Grimes can take a medium/small forward and be used more in a rebounding role. Griffiths will play back to and take the taller forwards/resting rucks.

There's something about Griffiths. I genuinely think he will be a star, opposition teams won't know what hit them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back