Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Fans have already lost respect for Rutten as coach, standards need to be set early, Rutten allows players to be soft, look at the Ham selections, Ham hates contact but gets games. Poor selection if you want blue collar.

Absolutely this.

Had a huge chance to earn that respect back by sustaining the demotion of Shiel but removed any substance when he was semi demoted to medical sub.

Fans have already lost respect for Rutten as coach, standards need to be set early, Rutten allows players to be soft, look at the Ham selections, Ham hates contact but gets games. Poor selection if you want blue collar.
The fans that have lost 'respect' for Rutten, are also the ones who are seeking a quick fix followed by equally quick tears when it falls apart.

You think we should get Mark Johnson to rag doll one of the players?
Yes. Yes I do

Btw I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.
The fans that have lost 'respect' for Rutten, are also the ones who are seeking a quick fix followed by equally quick tears when it falls apart.
maybe the fans want to hear more than “we are working towards playing the way we want to play”

What is the way we want to play? What are the non negotiables?

Everything seems negotiable at the moment

Big ****ing deal.

He gets an out because we couldn’t pick a 22 without selecting some players allergic to contact. This is on the list builders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good presser from Rutten tonight. It seems like there is an internal battle between Rutten and some senior players. My guess is that it's McGrath (who has put off contract talks apparently), Parish, Merrett and Shiel, who may think they are are at Dusty / Bont / Danger levels. Perhaps, the team is really missing the efforts and team lifting stuff that Snelling and Tippa used to bring. Rutten suggested that tonight was not the time to single individuals out or even berate them internally post game it seems. Not sure how sensible the latter is but it seems he has faith in being able to turn these 'senior' players around. I hope so before it begins to affect guys like Jones, Perkins, Reid, Cox etc. I hope the club backs Rutten and Cara in.

Last edited:
I am honestly in the Rutten camp for the mere fact our kick outs have stunk absolute arseh*le for the past 2.5 years and not ONE THING has been done about it. Honestly, how does a FT coach and FT coaching support sit there and watch the same game I do each week and not see how poor, uncreative and ineffective it is?? I don't get it.

Kick out to back pocket, back pocket goes long down the line, we have 0 ariel threats/contested marking beasts (which has been the case for the last 2-3 years) lost the ariel battle, comes back in the our defence, rinse and repeat. Week in, week out. We just persist. What in the honest ****. How can we not be learning from such obvious mistakes?

Every team we play meanwhile, just seem to always find an easy target down the corridor and just go end to end with such ease.

It is just unacceptable. When this glaring an error occurs week in week out and keeps getting repeated - is it simply not a coaching failure?

Im going to take it that you were expecting us to be shit this year. Most aren't surprised us going backwards but sitting third last behind two shambles of football clubs, yeah, that's reason enough to begrudge what is going on.

Without going back and finding it, yes I have mentioned multiple times that we would be shit.

The one thing everyone is seemingly really quick to leap upon with Truck is the thing that is actually not a concern for me at all and that’s whether he has a vision.

The blueprint for what he wants is pretty plain to see, the issues are that we are a perfect storm for not being able to implement what he wants.

• Limited forward 50 targets to stop the footy and give everyone a rest.
  • Poor running capacity to get back and provide cover
  • Poor skills and decision making that leads to turnovers in key areas
  • Smaller midfield that can’t consistently dictate terms on the inside.

He will need time and a couple more pieces to turn this into something.

Kick out to back pocket, back pocket goes long down the line, we have 0 ariel threats/contested marking beasts (which has been the case for the last 2-3 years) lost the ariel battle, comes back in the our defence, rinse and repeat. Week in, week out. We just persist. What in the honest fu**. How can we not be learning from such obvious mistakes?
Not only did we have no ariel threat, but Luke Parker played alright too.

Without going back and finding it, yes I have mentioned multiple times that we would be shit.

The one thing everyone is seemingly really quick to leap upon with Truck is the thing that is actually not a concern for me at all and that’s whether he has a vision.

The blueprint for what he wants is pretty plain to see, the issues are that we are a perfect storm for not being able to implement what he wants.

• Limited forward 50 targets to stop the footy and give everyone a rest.
  • Poor running capacity to get back and provide cover
  • Poor skills and decision making that leads to turnovers in key areas
  • Smaller midfield that can’t consistently dictate terms on the inside.

He will need time and a couple more pieces to turn this into something.
Rutten was second fiddle with full knowledge he was getting the top job post 2020 (first off season) and then one full year in the top job (2021) so at the end of this year will be year 3 of Rutten's fingerprints being on this list.

Im ok with giving him time, just bored of seeing opposition teams doing the same things to us week in, week out. It's gets very boring and frustrating.

Very good presser from Rutten tonight. It seems like there is an internal battle between Rutten and some senior players. My guess is that it's McGrath (who has put off contract talks apparently), Parish, Merrett and Shiel, who may think they are are at Dusty / Bont / Danger levels. Perhaps, the team is really missing the efforts and team lifting stuff that Snelling and Tippa used to bring. Rutten suggested that tonight was not the time to single individuals out or even berate them post game it seems. Not sure how sensible this is but it seems he has faith in being able to turn these 'senior' players around. I hope so before it begins to affect guys like Jones, Perkins, Reid, Cox etc. I hope the club backs Rutten and Cara in.
Definitely missing the forward pressure of Snello and Walla. We can be very good at the CBs, but we need to be able to capitalise on being able to then lock it in. Also missing strong targets like Stringer and Jones (and possibly Cox), and an athletic ruckman who rarely takes a mark let alone one in the forward fifty.

McGrath has been on radio reinforcing Truck's message re: tackling, pressure, the contest and accountability so I don't think he was referring to him. Yoda_ showed a stat demonstrating the marshmallowness of Merrett this year. Maybe him.

Im ok with giving him time, just bored of seeing opposition teams doing the same things to us week in, week out. It's gets very boring and frustrating.

Literally 2 hours ago
Was never sold and tonight I feel confirms all my reservations

Shows very little emotion which looks great on the outside but when he speaks, Im not running through brick walls for him.

The fact we head hunted him on the back of head hunting how many coaches of the last 20 years with little to no great results is an indictment on the football club.

I'd move him on at years end if we don't start seeing improvement from the guys who did improve on last year but have regressed since.
So which is it?

Rutten was second fiddle with full knowledge he was getting the top job post 2020 (first off season) and then one full year in the top job (2021) so at the end of this year will be year 3 of Rutten's fingerprints being on this list.

What? He's not even two years in the top job.

Like it or not, he ultimately was not the coach in 2020, so that does not count. It was messy and you can discuss the off field until the cows come home but he is in game 32 as a senior coach and from his first game to tonight there were only 10 players out there tonight so he’s not doing some minor retooling, this is a tear down and do again from scratch.

There’s also good boring and bad boring.

I would classify this as good boring and losing in the right way, he’s not continuing to just chuck +1s behind the footy or outnumbers at the contest to stem bleeding, he’s still holding a couple of forwards relatively deep to give us some kind of target for the most part and he’s picking kids and playing them in position.

The only thing stopping us from having even more kids out there tonight is a couple of injuries.

Very good presser from Rutten tonight. It seems like there is an internal battle between Rutten and some senior players. My guess is that it's McGrath (who has put off contract talks apparently), Parish, Merrett and Shiel, who may think they are are at Dusty / Bont / Danger levels. Perhaps, the team is really missing the efforts and team lifting stuff that Snelling and Tippa used to bring. Rutten suggested that tonight was not the time to single individuals out or even berate them post game it seems. Not sure how sensible this is but it seems he has faith in being able to turn these 'senior' players around. I hope so before it begins to affect guys like Jones, Perkins, Reid, Cox etc. I hope the club backs Rutten and Cara in.

Listening to McGrath and Parish's pod, I get the impression that McGrath leads and Parish follows but if senior players are pushing back then the coach needs to either take that feedback on board and change things or he needs to lay down the law by dropping players because a healthy team environment will enable two way debate but there comes a point where the team has to make decisions and stick to it.

Like it or not, he ultimately was not the coach in 2020, so that does not count. It was messy and you can discuss the off field until the cows come home but he is in game 32 as a senior coach and from his first game to tonight there were only 10 players out there tonight so he’s not doing some minor retooling, this is a tear down and do again from scratch.

There’s also good boring and bad boring.

I would classify this as good boring and losing in the right way, he’s not continuing to just chuck +1s behind the footy or outnumbers at the contest to stem bleeding, he’s still holding a couple of forwards relatively deep to give us some kind of target for the most part and he’s picking kids and playing them in position.

The only thing stopping us from having even more kids out there tonight is a couple of injuries.
It's a moot discussion anyway because he has the full support of the board who have acknowledged that we will have a long road. They are obviously willing to do it the hard way, as it should be. People need to calm down.

Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back