Game Day Fox Footy 50 / 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Davis - I see it but i don't believe it.

Memorable commentary but was preceded by one of the worst quality finals ever

Exactly, I'd argue the Collingwood Geelong GF in 2011 was an all time classic that just didn't quite have the ending. Better than other 'classics'

Similarly, the 1978 Dogs/Saints game was a one-sided slaughter between non-finalists only notable because of Templeton's goalkicking feat.
One should add Ian Dunstan — 7 goals playing on the ball by a player who never kicked 5 in any other game. The figures of Templeton and Dunstan, though, for a statistics-obsessed person like myself would make that game a must for such a list.

If that round 13, 1978 game be included then Fitzroy v North Melbourne from the same round five years later would have to be included as well. A sensational win for Fitzroy — it more than doubled the previous biggest defeat by a minor premier and featured a performance surpassing Dunstan’s by Matt Rendell — and has far more claim to be on there than their 1986 Elimination Final win over a struggling Essendon team in condition that did not suit the Bombers. So would, for a totally different reason, their upset comeback win over West Coast in the last round of 1991. I actually have that 1983 game in full. I do not know the original source (I bought it from Steven Davis) but when Name a Game existed they should have tried to get hold of it.
Would love to see a list made entirely of H & A games.

My own personal fave — Coll v Bris Rd 8 2002.
I agree very much, and do so even being aware of the impossibility of getting hold of innumerable really interesting — at least for the statistically obsessed like myself — home-and-away games from even the early and middle 1990s, let alone the 1980s or 1970s.

One opportunity that a list made entirely of home-and-away games would offer is to include some huge upsets — which are certainly rarer in the Docklands Era than they were beforehand but which can be exciting in themselves because they are unexpected. The nearest things on the full list of one hundred to a massive upset comparable to the Round 24, 1991 game I noted in my previous comment would be the Round 21, 2000 game between Essendon and the Bulldogs, and the round 16, 2012 game between Gold Coast and Richmond.

Another possibility not seen on their top 100, which also appeals to me but probably not to others here, would be some games in awful weather, like Round 23, 1992, between Footscray and West Coast, when the speedy Eagles were so bogged down that they looked like kicking the lowest score since 1899 before kicking three late goals. Then there is the 2012 Brisbane v Geelong game in pouring rain were Tom Hawkins played amazingly to kick six goals. Games in those conditions, even with today’s artificial drying and hotter temperatures, remain more interesting to watch in my opinion than games in very dry weather or under the roofed Docklands stadium.
Disappointed the '89 Round 6 Hawthorn-Geelong match probably won't sneak in.

I'd happily trade out some of the so-so finals that get replayed a lot anyway for a few more classic home and away matches.
I am in complete agreement with you on that one!
2002 semi final against the crows
Adelaide kicked 8.2 to 1 in the first quarter, we kicked 15.11 in the next 2 quarters to lead by 22 at 3qtr time then were overrun in the last.
Probably the best game we've been involved in for a long time. Some serious skill on show.
Amazing match that as a lover of statistics I have never come round to looking at. Should be on there on statistical grounds alone. No team has won after being outplayed so badly in the second and third quarters, and only one other team — North Melbourne against Fitzroy on the Queens Birthday of 1984, in their next meeting after that remarkable round 13, 1983 game — has lost after scoring over 100 points in the second and third quarters.
I've been rewatching some old games recently with no footy on, particularly from 1988. The games were far more free flowing, individual talent was able to standout due to the space around the ball allowing the game to breathe. There was no flooding, no zoning, there were limited around the ground ball ups, you couldn't hear the umpires you had true spearhead full forwards. I thought I was just romanticising the past when I would think back fondly on those games but going back and actually watching them it's clear to me the game was far superior to today.
I agree that from a purely aesthetic perspective the game in that era is better, although the players now are much fitter and leaner. Both that and the changes you note can be related very strongly to the influence of television and the closing down of the suburban grounds and Waverley for closed-roof Docklands stadium (which of course was done substantially to improve television revenue). To that change, we can add artificial drying and a hotter, drier climate due to global warming. All those changes lead to grounds which have much less “give” but which require much more jumping ability because the ball is on the ground much less often, and favour players capable of acting in very short bursts rather than continuously for a full game. The loud whistles and delaying tactics — which I noticed as early as the 2003 Grand Final and have become worse since then — are annoying for me watching football compared to watching videos of older games.

Last edited:

This good old thread was a good read back.

It has been 2 full AFL seasons and I doubt very much the top 50 has needed any adjusting.

Some meh footy in the last 2 years

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was about to post the same. Geez I watched a s**t load of old footy games during COVID.

what games could possibly crack top 50?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol, I reckon about 10 Collingwood H&A games could be included! But that’s just me….and possibly every other Collingwood supporter agreeing. First 2 below definitely should be in there, followed by the others below.

Final Qtr Coll v Ess Round 19
Final Qtr Coll v Carl Round 23
Final Qtr Coll v Carl Round 11
Final Qtr Coll v Melb Round 21
Final Qtr Coll v North Round 17
Final Qtr Coll v GC Round 16
Final Qtr Coll v Adel Round 18
Final Qtr Coll v Haw Round 12

Lol, I reckon about 10 Collingwood H&A games could be included! But that’s just me….and possibly every other Collingwood supporter agreeing. First 2 below definitely should be in there, followed by the others below.

Final Qtr Coll v Ess Round 19
Final Qtr Coll v Carl Round 23
Final Qtr Coll v Carl Round 11
Final Qtr Coll v Melb Round 21
Final Qtr Coll v North Round 17
Final Qtr Coll v GC Round 16
Final Qtr Coll v Adel Round 18
Final Qtr Coll v Haw Round 12
Add to that Geelong vs Collingwood final
Sydney vs Collingwood final

Geelong vs Richmond
Fremantle vs Richmond
Sydney vs Geelong ( buddy 1000 )
Adelaide vs Port Adelaide
just to name a few

Eagles most 50 Pt losses in a row in the history of the AFL was one of my favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back