NFL Fox Sports - The Top 20 Free Agents to be

Remove this Banner Ad

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7592192?MSNHPHMA

1. Colts safety Bob Sanders — A bona fide difference-maker and game-changer. Sanders is a big play waiting to happen and earlier this year seemed a lock for Defensive Player of the Year. During last year's Super Bowl run, Indy's defense couldn't stop a nose from running ... until Sanders returned from injury. Suddenly, they were a totally different ballclub. For teams unable to land him, the Giants' Gibril Wilson, Dallas' Ken Hamlin and Patriots' Eugene Wilson would add immediate impact at the safety position.
2. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen — Pass rushers are at a premium in this league and Allen has been virtually unstoppable this year. Missed two games early due to DWIs but has cleaned up his act. He says he hasn't had a drink in over a year and adamantly insists he has zero desire to ever have another drink again. Young up-and-coming pass rushers get paid in this league and Allen is on his way to a major check cashing.
3. Patriots WR Randy Moss — Maybe he's not the right fit for every team out there, but when he does find a fit he's proven to be unstoppable. Moss has been the most explosive offensive weapon in the NFL this season and it's hard to imagine the Patriots will not roll out the green carpet of cash for him. By the way, his WR mate Donte Stallworth has a huge $6 million bonus due this off-season that will likely cause the Pats to either re-do him as well or set him free. The rest of this year's WRs available are far from great but they have some bright prospects like Jerry Porter, Patrick Crayton, Bernard Berrian and Devery Henderson.
4. Steelers OG Alan Faneca — The best offensive lineman available via free agency, Faneca can play all over the line and has the leadership and attitude 32 out of 32 coaches would give their left arm to have. They may have to (plus sell a few other limbs) to come up with the cash that will land this stud. The offensive line as a whole is weak in this year's UFA class. Old vets like Larry Allen and Ruben Brown will be available and a guy like Miami's Rex Hadnot can play center or guard.
5. Patriots corner Asante Samuel — Like pass rushers, there's a premium on cover corners in this league and in a solid group available, Samuel is the best of the bunch. Unlike some cover corners, he's also solid against the run and is never afraid to deliver a blow. The Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha and Seattle's Marcus Trufant round out a great top three. Considering what Nate Clements made last off-season, this trio should be about to hit a whole different financial world. Brian Kelly adds to this list.
6. Titans DT Albert Haynesworth — This may be a little high because of character concerns but actually a little low when talking about talent. Haynesworth has been a wrecking crew this year and when he was hurt, those around him clearly suffered.
7. Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha — Because of his talent, potential and position he moves up the list and resides in our top 10.
8. Bears LB Lance Briggs — The best LB on the open market. He's a perfect fit for a Tampa-Two defense but has the speed, athleticism and smarts to play in any system. Briggs is an explosive player, loved in the locker room and would provide an instant burst to any defense. Overall the linebackers in the open market are weak.
9. Ravens LB/DE Terrell Suggs — Remember what we said about pass rushers? Suggs is a proven commodity when it comes to making the life of a QB miserable.
10. Dallas OT Flozell Adams — Teams need solid tackles to protect against guys like Allen and Suggs, and Adams is the best on the list. A perennial Pro Bowler, Adams always seems like he should be more dominant but he's still more than solid. The lack of offensive line talent in the free-agent market has pushed him up our list.
11. Colts TE Dallas Clark — A solid weapon in the Colts offense, Clark is not a conventional tight end, which means he doesn't fit every system. However, in the systems he does fit in, he can cause fits for defensive schemes. The ultimate cover-2 buster, he'd be a huge loss to the Colts if he bolted. The Eagles' L.J. Smith is the best of the rest on this list.
12. Chargers QB Philip Rivers — Rivers is able to void his deal due to playing-time incentives he reached last year. There is a huge void of good QBs in this league and despite an inconsistent season, Rivers has shown enough to be a solid starter. Considering guys like Rex Grossman and Daunte Culpepper highlight, or lowlight, the list of UFAs at the position, Rivers' stock soars on our list.
13. Cowboys RB Julius Jones — Proven featured running backs are hard to come by for some teams.
14. Cincy DE Justin Smith — He made our list last year and despite the Bengals' struggles he's still a stud on the defensive line.
15. Seattle CB Marcus Trufant — See above talk of corners. William James and Drayton Florence add depth to this group and Denver's Dre Bly has a $9 million option which means he'll likely get cut free as well.
16. Dallas WR Patrick Crayton — He was tremendous this year filling in for the injured Terry Glenn and showed he's certainly worthy of a starting role.
17. Chargers RB Michael Turner — L.T.'s backup is held in very high regard by many personnel people throughout the league. Tennessee and Green Bay were interested him as an RFA and more should show him love as a UFA. The Browns' Jamal Lewis rounds out the RBs.
18. Giants safety Gibril Wilson — Michael Strahan once called Wilson "the best rookie I've ever played with." He wasn't a one-hit wonder and has been a very solid safety ever since. The Patriots' Eugene Wilson adds depth to this list along with the Browns' Gary Baxter.
19. Browns RB Jamal Lewis — He's shown he can still make noise, especially in cold-weather games. He's a bit older and obviously had off-field issues but he's still reliable down the stretch. 20. Eagles TE L.J. Smith — He's a young tight end who needs to stay healthy but has the talent to be a solid player for a long time.

What i wouldnt give for Randy Moss on the Eagles. Doubt he'll leave NE though.

Re: Fox Sports- The top 20 Free Agents to be.

Ok, so noone cares. Sue me.

Laugh.gif

Have patience my friend. Most of the guys will be back online tomorrow when the majority of games are played. Then expect an avalance of responses ;)

I really hope we can resign Crayton he's one of my favourite players and a great asset to the team being a very good #2, punt returner and emergency QB. I think we keep only one of Terry Glenn (injury) or Pat however.

Julius Jones is gone. A new start would do him good as he hasn't got the best of himself at Dallas.

Hopefully Flo is resigned too, although he might be seeking his last big pay day with his latest Pro Bowl appearance. Backups are certainly promising with McQuistan and Free, but unproven at such an important Left tackle position. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

As for who Dallas will chase....Florence from the Chargers has experience in the Phillips 34 and might be a relatively cheap pickup as there are several bigger name CB's ahead of him.

The Vikings are coming off a very quiet 2007 when it comes to free agent pickups. I'm hoping 2008 will see a revisit of 2006 when Steve Hutchinson was the marquee pickup. Based on need, here's how I see the list:

1. Dallas WR Patrick Crayton - would be an instant #1 or 2 WR at the Vikes, a great fit IMO. Can't see Crayton moving as far north as Minnesota though
2. Giants safety Gibril Wilson - plays the free safety position and would be a good upgrade for Dwight Smith who may not be retained on dope related character grounds
3. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen - There's plenty of history of players moving between the Vikings and the Chiefs and no team is going to pass up the option of upgrading their pass rush
4. Bears LB Lance Briggs - Briggs would be an awesome upgrade for Ben Leber
5. Ravens LB/DE Terrell Suggs - Suggs would be better even better than Briggs as he can play DE as well
6. Colts safety Bob Sanders - free safety is more an area of need for the Vikes as Darren Sharper would appear to be locked in at strong safety
7. Steelers OG Alan Faneca - Faneca plays the left side, where the Vikings are strong but may be pursued if the Vikes think he could move to the right side
8. Dallas OT Flozell Adams - see comments on Faneca
9. Colts TE Dallas Clark - I'm not sure the Vikes will go to the well again for a posession TE, they need one, but may persist with Shiancoe for one more year.
10. Eagles TE L.J. Smith - see dallas clark

7. Steelers OG Alan Faneca - Faneca plays the left side, where the Vikings are strong but may be pursued if the Vikes think he could move to the right side
8. Dallas OT Flozell Adams - see comments on Faneca

Flo is actually partially deaf in his right ear which is amazing considering the career he's had at Left Tackle with his right ear closest to the QB....that would probably explain him leading the world in false start penalties as Madden says....still a gun though

Interesting to see that they arent listing McNabb as a potential free agent, despite all the talk that he would be leaving Philly.

As an Eagles fan, i really hope they do manage to get him to stick around, especially after the game he had this week. :thumbsu:

Interesting to see that they arent listing McNabb as a potential free agent, despite all the talk that he would be leaving Philly.

As an Eagles fan, i really hope they do manage to get him to stick around, especially after the game he had this week. :thumbsu:

And last week too :( McNabb ain't going nowhere now, Chicago will have to look elsewhere for a qb....Rivers?

Is a nice list of FA indeed...

Would hope the Pack have a go at Sanders, Faneca and Briggs.

Briggs would be a coup, weakening a division rival while strengthening one of our weakensses. Desperate for a guard though, but my worry on Faneca is his age. Been around a fair while.

We've got enough under the cap to have a serious go at one or two of them though.

16. Dallas WR Patrick Crayton — He was tremendous this year filling in for the injured Terry Glenn and showed he's certainly worthy of a starting role.

You can cross Crayton off the list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...bYF?slug=ap-cowboys-crayton&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dallas wide receiver Patrick Crayton signed a four-year deal with the Cowboys on Thursday that's worth up to $14 million, his agent said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanders wont leave no way. They will re-sign him even with salary cap pressure... Hope we can get Gibril Wilson or Eugene Wilson.

Go CHHHARRGEERSS!

Bob Sanders is a beast... He would have made HUGE $$$ in free agency if he got there.... The way the Colts are throwing cash at their D.. I wonder if they can afford Dallas Clark.....

The Patriots can't sign Moss to an extension till the end of the season... Something to do with his existing contract with Oakland running out or whatever... End of the year a deal will be struck, Moss has played for the big contracts, he'll stay a Pat (I hope:p) ... He and Brady are one hell of a combo. Stallworth to go I think... Asante will be offered a long term deal, he's too valuable to let go.. He's a Top 3 Corner in the league.. Easily..

NFL.com has been talking up the chances of Javon Walker (almost certainly) and Chad Johnson leaving their respective teams...

I really hope the Eagles make a move at a wide out.

both r gone.
i don't see CJ going to a not as good team like Mia, Bal, Atl ect. the guy is 30 next season and he wants to win

both r gone.
i don't see CJ going to a not as good team like Mia, Bal, Atl ect. the guy is 30 next season and he wants to win

Agree with you there, youd think he'll go for a team that needs that one top reciever to go the next level (please be philly, please be philly).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5483/news

Sounds like he definetely wants out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back