Autopsy Free kick ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some teams fo give away frees out of kicking range if it offerrs time for the defence to get set. It's certainly not the whole story but a piece of the puzzle maybe.

I think the fact that we are consistently at the top of these charts two years in a row shows a clear trend. We are disciplined with our tackling to reduce our infringements against, and we possess the ball a lot in tight areas that there are more opportunities for the opposition to infringe.

Unless of course the entire umpiring department is conspiring to give us an unfair advantage two years in a row like some actually believe. That's the OP agenda in this thread.

It is certainly the way the bulldogs play that derives the 'extra' free kicks- the tackling, and the way they are tackled.
Only a child believes in free kick conspiracies- the doggies also saw that throwing the ball was being neglected and exploited that.

This is a sad thread. Theres about 700-800 disposals a game and theres so much whining because some of them came from free kicks. No doubt theres some howlers, but the amount of umpire sooking is unwarranted.
Please point to the part in the original post that is sooking.

It was bringing up some stats. Nothing more nothing less.

Geez some are defensive.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Interesting to see that the top 3 teams for tackles (Bulldogs 1st, North 2nd, Carlton 3rd) are all in the top 4 for free kick differential.

That's not a blanket rule that more tackles = better free kick differential (ie Geelong is 4th for tackles, 15th for free kicks whilst WCE are 3rd for frees, 15th for tackles) but it does look like a relationship exists.

When you then add in factors like types of free kick received, possession counts and so on it's pretty clear that looking at the raw numbers for free kicks alone doesn't really tell a tale at all, other than some teams gain more frees than others simply by the way they play.

Either change the way you play (ie get to the ball first, be more disciplined etc), or don't complain.

The thing that was most surprising for me was GWS. I would have thought the team that won the most clearances would get more frees and give away less.

Also West Coast not at #1. That's a change.

He posted the free kick ladder and didn't single out any team. He didn't put Dogs at the top, they are just are there.
If anything he was probably bringing attention to GWS massive -41.

You're the only one making this thread about Bulldogs thread. Not everything is about you guys, not everyone is thinking about Bulldogs 24/7. Thats just you.

No. He posted a ladder and invited people to make of it what they will.

The thing that was most surprising for me was GWS. I would have thought the team that won the most clearances would get more frees and give away less.

Also West Coast not at #1. That's a change.
Not when you have serial pests like Greene, Johnson and Mumford in your team. It tends to add up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread sums up one of the issues with fans; some look at the ladder and blame umpires, when in reality their team is just undisciplined and gives away stupid free kicks. It's not as if umpires have some weird bias against Tichmond; they just don't tackle properly.

At the end of the day people blame umpires over everything else when in reality so much happens in a match that free kicks have little to do with it. Or rather they are just one variable among many

This thread sums up one of the issues with fans; some look at the ladder and blame umpires, when in reality their team is just undisciplined and gives away stupid free kicks. It's not as if umpires have some weird bias against Tichmond; they just don't tackle properly.

At the end of the day people blame umpires over everything else when in reality so much happens in a match that free kicks have little to do with it. Or rather they are just one variable among many

As has been discussed theres no blaming of umps.

Just a thread on the stats.

Only one bringing in blaming of umps are the ones complaining about the blaiming of umps. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

? Last 4 weeks we have had controversial decisions against enough that where bad enough that articles, discussion and video all came out from it. 0 where from us tackling or being tackled.
Then you look and see the same ump umpired our last 3 games and made 2 of the bad calls, then you have to start asking the question.

Wouldn't read to much into it, Carlton were shafted on the weekend and the final stats ended up showing that we only had 3 less than North.

The positions in which the free kicks are given is much more valuable IMO.
I didn't watch the Blues-North game so can't comment on that specifically but you are 100% correct. It is not the advertised free kick count that matters.

It is the tally of contentious frees and where they are paid or not paid that makes us supporters go bananas and feel like we are being reamed by the umps. How many times do you see your team get penalised for a free in front of goal for something so minor leaving you thinking "well I don't agree but as long as the umps are consistent in paying that all day then fair enough"? Then when the exact same thing happens to your team it is called play on.

I am convinced umpires will try and even the free kick count, in most games, towards the end of the game and award free kicks in "cold zones" to the team that is behind so that no attention is drawn to them come Monday. You see it so often it ain't a coincidence. Another reason why the advertised free kick count is a useless stat.

I didn't watch the Blues-North game so can't comment on that specifically but you are 100% correct. It is not the advertised free kick count that matters.

It is the tally of contentious frees and where they are paid or not paid that makes us supporters go bananas and feel like we are being reamed by the umps. How many times do you see your team get penalised for a free in front of goal for something so minor leaving you thinking "well I don't agree but as long as the umps are consistent in paying that all day then fair enough"? Then when the exact same thing happens to your team it is called play on.

I am convinced umpires will try and even the free kick count, in most games, towards the end of the game and award free kicks in "cold zones" to the team that is behind so that no attention is drawn to them come Monday. You see it so often it ain't a coincidence. Another reason why the advertised free kick count is a useless stat.

I think this is one of the issues. Often supporters say you paid the same thing to them, but no 2 incidents are the exact same and supporter bias exaggerates the free not paid to you.

However, there are certain players at different clubs, that do seem to get preferential treatment. The star effect does occur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back