Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry, Western & Benning are the only ones we've picked up recently off the top of my head and none have worked out for us ananyway.s.
Henry was actually our second ever academy pick only 1 year after Carter, the first. We have taken nine in total but only 2 have reached the 10 game mark and 3 have been delisted without playing a game.

Both states are currently at some pretty big disadvantages and haven't got much besides the initial concessions to 3/4 teams. You'd think 25 years of being stitched up on F/S could be forgiven if they just let us match bids for local indigenous talent till we win a flag.

Henry, Western & Benning are the only ones we've picked up recently off the top of my head and none have worked out for us anyway. Not sure what the AFL are worried about as the outcome will be more resources into identifying young talent and trying to nurture it, therefore more indigenous players. They could even cap our number at 1 per draft, as long as it's the best one and the rest might get picked up by other teams.

Walker was NGA and is the biggest success story by a long way.

Draper and Williams are worth the effort given their status as Category B rookies but I think most of us consider them long shots

I think the bidding system is the problem tbh. It really should be impossible for a top four to match a bid for a top two pick without trading out something significant (gun players, future firsts etc) but in reality it’s easy.

Draper and Williams are worth the effort given their status as Category B rookies but I think most of us consider them long shots

I think the bidding system is the problem tbh. It really should be impossible for a top four to match a bid for a top two pick without trading out something significant (gun players, future firsts etc) but in reality it’s easy.
Decent thread on it on the draft board but my preference would be some combination of
1) Increase price of top 10 picks in particular
2) Limit bid matching to using only two picks
3) Strengthen NGA access rules but remove all bid restrictions on NGAs and keep WA and SA teams having complete access to all indigenous talent from their state (a SMALL advantage for the two leper states would be nice). I dont think there is much chance this happens
4) Remove discount on bids for F/S's. I actually like the romanticism on them but dont think you should get a discount for it

I reckon they should wind back the NGA to like top 15 or 20 excluded

Wind back Northern Academy so they lose like top 5 players

Then remove all discounts

F/S stays for all picks

I actually like the amount of trading that academies bring, it really opens the draft up, allows clubs to jump up the draft, when in this day and age, nobody wants to trade out of the top end, this gives incentive for clubs to have a reason to trade down (in turn allowing others to trade up)

Yep, although I thought Walker is not indigenous so I figured he wasn’t part of the AFL’s KPI’s going on that article and we might not get as good a deal on multicultural players.

The other two are still too early into their careers to call.

Jasper Scaife been getting quite a write up in the West. Kicked 4 goals and 3 goals the past two league WAFL games for West Perth and looks set to get a gig in the upcoming state game. I read an article that we nominated each of Draper, Williams and Scaife but went with Draper and Williams as Cat-b rookie nominations prior to 2022 Rookie Draft. Shame we didn’t have room for Scaife. He spent a bit of time training with Freo even as a possible SSP pick-up but ultimately missed out. I wonder if he is or should be on our radar for MSD.

Jasper Scaife been getting quite a write up in the West. Kicked 4 goals and 3 goals the past two league WAFL games for West Perth and looks set to get a gig in the upcoming state game. I read an article that we nominated each of Draper, Williams and Scaife but went with Draper and Williams as Cat-b rookie nominations prior to 2022 Rookie Draft. Shame we didn’t have room for Scaife. He spent a bit of time training with Freo even as a possible SSP pick-up but ultimately missed out. I wonder if he is or should be on our radar for MSD.
Good West Perth boy - should always be on the radar!
He is a solid unit with a penetrating kick.

The issue with recruiting him might be too many key forwards on the list already. Assuming no more injuries he'd be immediately demoted to Peel reserves.

Looking at his performance in the twos last year, he was showing a bit. This year he is really coming on. Makes you wonder how we actually thought it was a better idea to take Odin Jones over Scaife... From what I've seen Jones just looks like a guy that was good at Colts level because he was bigger than everyone else. Hope I'm wrong.

Looking at his performance in the twos last year, he was showing a bit. This year he is really coming on. Makes you wonder how we actually thought it was a better idea to take Odin Jones over Scaife... From what I've seen Jones just looks like a guy that was good at Colts level because he was bigger than everyone else. Hope I'm wrong.
The reality is that either of those two are unlikely to ever make a splash at AFL level. If Scaife looked AFL standard another club would have bid.

Good on him if he's improved his game to the point he gets a chance.

Jones is bigger, more athletic and more flexible in terms of position and that is what got him the gig . Scaife is a good footballer but lacks the requisite AFL level athleticism and can only really play one position (he did do some rucking but not enough there for AFL level); he had a better WAFL colts record than Draper but Draper got the Guernsey again due to superior mobility and flexibility.

Jones is bigger, more athletic and more flexible in terms of position and that is what got him the gig . Scaife is a good footballer but lacks the requisite AFL level athleticism and can only really play one position (he did do some rucking but not enough there for AFL level); he had a better WAFL colts record than Draper but Draper got the Guernsey again due to superior mobility and flexibility.
Fair call. I wouldn't change Draper for anything at this point. He seems to be the full package and i cant wait to see the final package. Jones and Scaife are the same height. Granted Jones has 10kgs on him but put Scaife in an AFL program and I'm guessing he gains on Jones in that area. He seems to take marks and kick goals at every level he's played which is more than we can say for most of our players. I think about when JT, Tabs or any of our other forwards go back to Peel, they never seem to kick a bag... This guy is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is that either of those two are unlikely to ever make a splash at AFL level. If Scaife looked AFL standard another club would have bid.

Good on him if he's improved his game to the point he gets a chance.
You're probably right, although, given his form this year, he may have played instead of Tabs the last couple... Then he may have taken a contested mark deep in F50 with a minute left against Port and sealed the 4 points. Then we have a new cult hero ;)

Fair call. I wouldn't change Draper for anything at this point. He seems to be the full package and i cant wait to see the final package. Jones and Scaife are the same height. Granted Jones has 10kgs on him but put Scaife in an AFL program and I'm guessing he gains on Jones in that area. He seems to take marks and kick goals at every level he's played which is more than we can say for most of our players. I think about when JT, Tabs or any of our other forwards go back to Peel, they never seem to kick a bag... This guy is.
Kuek kicked bags before he came to us too, his output dropped off as well.

I think there is clearly something about the way some blokes kick goals at WAFL level that the club doesn't think is sustainable at AFL level.

You're probably right, although, given his form this year, he may have played instead of Tabs the last couple... Then he may have taken a contested mark deep in F50 with a minute left against Port and sealed the 4 points. Then we have a new cult hero ;)

I highly doubt either of those things happen.

Kuek kicked bags before he came to us too, his output dropped off as well.

I think there is clearly something about the way some blokes kick goals at WAFL level that the club doesn't think is sustainable at AFL level.

I highly doubt either of those things happen.
Umm what?

Kuek in 2022 combined East Perth and Peel = 20 goals in 10 games = 2 goals per game
Kuek in 2023 Peel - 25 goals in 13 games is almost 2 goals per game BUT he also almost doubled the number of marks (31 went up to 60 in 2023) and also tackles (14 went up to 30). Hitouts also doubled in output.

Umm what?

Kuek in 2022 combined East Perth and Peel = 20 goals in 10 games = 2 goals per game
Kuek in 2023 Peel - 25 goals in 13 games is almost 2 goals per game BUT he also almost doubled the number of marks (31 went up to 60 in 2023) and also tackles (14 went up to 30). Hitouts also doubled in output.
Kuek had 16 in 5 games for EP, then only 4 for Peel in 5 games

Its arguable that he was just in a purple patch for East Perth but yeah he was kicking considerably more right before he was drafted in the MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back