Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a dinosaur

His effort based gamestyle burns players out

It also works.

He has made three grand finals (well 4 after the draw but you know what I mean.) three of those the margin was 12 points, 15 points and a draw. In 2 of those his team had more scoring shots, more inside 50s. He could easily have won all three and ultimately it just fell down to bad luck.

Roos is heralded as a coaching savant and yet with a little bad luck could now also be winless.

My point is that I think people underestimate Ross Lyon. Most dislike his style of coaching (myself included) and that corresponds to people thinking he isnt very good, when in reality he is great.

If you got to him to Carlton or North, guarantee they will make a grand final within a few years. Will that success last? Probably not. But that’s why the media talks him up.

He's a dinosaur

His effort based gamestyle burns players out
no doubt your a freo hating troll......

they said the same about Damien Hardwick at richmond and they won a flag in 2017.

Amazing, some freo players are spuds and try their guts out. Media bashes them.

Some saints players are duds and try their guts out, media praises them.

It also works.

He has made three grand finals (well 4 after the draw but you know what I mean.) three of those the margin was 12 points, 15 points and a draw. In 2 of those his team had more scoring shots, more inside 50s. He could easily have won all three and ultimately it just fell down to bad luck.

Roos is heralded as a coaching savant and yet with a little bad luck could now also be winless.

My point is that I think people underestimate Ross Lyon. Most dislike his style of coaching (myself included) and that corresponds to people thinking he isnt very good, when in reality he is great.

If you got to him to Carlton or North, guarantee they will make a grand final within a few years. Will that success last? Probably not. But that’s why the media talks him up.
Both of those lists were inherited and chocked with top end draft picks. He got them close then decimated those same lists therefter. Cant develop players to save himself.

Both of those lists were inherited and chocked with top end draft picks. He got them close then decimated those same lists therefter. Cant develop players to save himself.
Hahahahahaha

Another stupid post. So it was ross lyons fault that Anthony Morabito, out pick 4 in the 2009 draft, had multiple knee injuries?

Lachie Neale debut season was 2012, Lyons 1st season as freo coach. Posters like you dont do your research. Back in 2016-17, people talked about ross lyons inabilty to play youth. you want me to find that thread?

no doubt your a freo hating troll......

they said the same about Damien Hardwick at richmond and they won a flag in 2017.

Amazing, some freo players are spuds and try their guts out. Media bashes them.

Some saints players are duds and try their guts out, media praises them.
Lyon is not Hardwick.

His 'near' GF wins were a long time ago. The game has changed markedly since then. He has not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon is not Hardwick.

His 'near' GF wins were a long time ago. The game has changed markedly since then. He has not.

Clearly he has. His game plan last year & early this year was completely different to the defensive style he used to run. Last year we didn’t have the skill to do it. 2nd half this year our spine is all injured, so he’s tweaking it.

Clearly he has. His game plan last year & early this year was completely different to the defensive style he used to run. Last year we didn’t have the skill to do it. 2nd half this year our spine is all injured, so he’s tweaking it.

The only side after 17 games this year that has scored less than your lot this year is Gold Coast. Last year, it was Carlton and Gold Coast. How does a side that is 16th and looking at 17th in points scored in two seasons changing from a defensive style?

The only side after 17 games this year that has scored less than your lot this year is Gold Coast. Last year, it was Carlton and Gold Coast. How does a side that is 16th and looking at 17th in points scored in two seasons changing from a defensive style?

The opposition is scoring more. Less defensive, not more attacking.

The opposition is scoring more. Less defensive, not more attacking.

I don't see how those two are consistent. If you're not as focused on limiting the scoring then what are you doing when you do have the ball?

Did you read what I posted? When our spine started going down, the defensive style returned to keep us in games.

After Round 10 we’d scored the same amount of points as the eagles for the season. This is about a mid range 9-11 ranked for points. Forwards hadn’t clicked yet (Hogan/Lobb etc) and Taberner was already injured.

After round 11 we lost Lobb & Pearce & hogan after that. Hence our scoring falling away

Here here

Read above, that’s why. Hate Lyon all you like, the numbers correlating with injury don’t lie

Edit - if Simpson lost the tall players in his set up
Darling - Hogan
Hickey - Lobb
Kennedy - Taberner
Gov - Pearce
Allen - Cox

Do you think he’d need to change the way he’s setting up and playing to cover this?
Do you think you’d score and concede as before?
Of course not

Last edited:
Did you read what I posted? When our spine started going down, the defensive style returned to keep us in games.

After Round 10 we’d scored the same amount of points as the eagles for the season. This is about a mid range 9-11 ranked for points. Forwards hadn’t clicked yet (Hogan/Lobb etc) and Taberner was already injured.

After round 11 we lost Lobb & Pearce & hogan after that. Hence our scoring falling away

Fair enough then.

But what about last year?

Fair enough then.

But what about last year?

We didn’t have the stock.
No Lobb no Hogan Taberner again injured
Cox had played like 16 games and was the main target & McCarthy is a coin flip.
The young fellas getting Blooded in brayshaw Cerra Crowden Banfield.

So the skills weren’t quite there. I felt like he tried to attack more early like this year, but once teams started beating us more, went more defensive to protect the kids a bit.

If we come out next year like we did earlier this season I’m happy with Lyon.
I’m not happy with our fitness staff, our best havent been available enough

Yet you forget Freo kicked 141 points vs North, 106 points vs GWS and 100 points vs Port. Yep Ross Lyon sides has been low scoring all season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back