Autopsy Freo lose to Geelong 25 to 158 - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

'It was a good first quarter.'

Wow. You cannot write this.

The Fremantle Football Club must love that faction of our supporters. Always buying memberships, merch, trying to save face.

It was a record flogging in a week where we re-signed Hayden ******* Ballantyne. Hayden Ballantyne playing in 2019.

Unreal.

Who'd want ******* Chris Mayne back? Even Collingwood want to get rid of him.

De Boer was the only one that was decent - the rest that we let go were pretty meh or traded for a decent player (Crozier)
No, no they don't.

Has played 16 games in a row. Definite best 22 at Collingwood at the moment.

Check the Collingwood board. Almost everybody loves him. Everybody is full of respect for the way he has fought his way back into the team. Goal kicking is still crap and his time was up at Freo, but has been a remarkable story for hard work and persistence.

4770ff56adb46b5fb10587a13bfcf187.jpg

Resilient bugger.

Who'd want ******* Chris Mayne back? Even Collingwood want to get rid of him.

De Boer was the only one that was decent - the rest that we let go were pretty meh or traded for a decent player (Crozier)
I would. Playing the same role as Sheridan and already he's 10x the player he is. Embarassing really. Mayne just taking the challenge, looks composed and racking up the disposals averaging 18 per game. 16 straight weeks in the side, puts defensive pressure on.
Handy to have.
Whereas Tucker and Sheridan? Ha. Exactly. Sheridan has played 12 games in a rebuilding side. Says it all really.

Losing de Boer and Barlow but keeping D.Pearce and Suban was a Contract Management mistake more than anything else.

We needed to start turning the list over and de Boer and Barlow happened to be the ones out of contract, whereas Suban and D.Pearce still had years to go on their contract. I reckon if the contract situation was reversed it would have been Pearce and Suban out and the other two would have stayed for at least another couple of years.

Of course why D.Pearce and Suban would put on such long contracts in the first place is puzzling (and also why de Boer and Barlow had to muddle along on single year deals). Its like after building to some level of success we over-estimated some of the talent we had. We aren't the first club to do this and it can lead to disaster when it happens. For us, it just took several years to play out.

I would. Playing the same role as Sheridan and already he's 10x the player he is. Embarassing really. Mayne just taking the challenge, looks composed and racking up the disposals averaging 18 per game. 16 straight weeks in the side, puts defensive pressure on.
Handy to have.
Whereas Tucker and Sheridan? Ha. Exactly. Sheridan has played 12 games in a rebuilding side. Says it all really.

Trading Mayne back into the club will make what already is the worst list management in the league sink to new low.

Freo needs to move forward - not backwards.

Fremantle are embarrassing, I’m embarrassed to support them. There are issues at the club and I feel they are deep seated. I don’t think the appetite is there to sack Lyon. I can’t help but think that Brad Lloyd saw the writing on the wall and has jumped off a sinking ship. And how did we end up with just 2 draft picks? That’s not a good look and I feel,is the only reason Ballantyne and Bennell were resigned.

'It was a good first quarter.'

Wow. You cannot write this.

The Fremantle Football Club must love that faction of our supporters. Always buying memberships, merch, trying to save face.

It was a record flogging in a week where we re-signed Hayden ******* Ballantyne. Hayden Ballantyne playing in 2019.

Unreal.

You can write this

Rethinking about Saturday's game brings two points to mind.
When the ball is coming in high into our defensive 50 we have players going up to spoil but with their fist closed and their arm full y extended. No one is going up with the intention of punching hell out of the ball and sending it towards the boundary. I recall Gibson from Hawthorn and when he went up to spoil he had the absolute intention of totally destroying the ball. There was no pussy foot arm up in the air with a closed fist and hoping to contact the ball. This situation has been apparent all year to me.

When the situation is that your opponents have kicked 6 consecutive goals, all your players bar one maybe are packed into the defensive 50 and of course every time you hack the ball out it is collected by an opponent who is under absolutely no pressure and can then take his time and pinpoint the pass even though the 50 is crowded. It seemed to me that the logical thing would be to bring 6 - 8 players out of the defensive zone so that you have some chance of bringing the ball forward when it's hacked out or at least putting some pressure on your opponents. Two things then happen you've made your opponents accountable and if their not accountable at least you have the chance of scoring at least one or two goals in three quarters of football. When you are being sliced apart in your defensive 50 and you have packed the area pulling a number of players out is not going to increase your opponents scoring but at least it can possible give you some chance.

Rethinking about Saturday's game brings two points to mind.
When the ball is coming in high into our defensive 50 we have players going up to spoil but with their fist closed and their arm full y extended. No one is going up with the intention of punching hell out of the ball and sending it towards the boundary. I recall Gibson from Hawthorn and when he went up to spoil he had the absolute intention of totally destroying the ball. There was no pussy foot arm up in the air with a closed fist and hoping to contact the ball. This situation has been apparent all year to me.

When the situation is that your opponents have kicked 6 consecutive goals, all your players bar one maybe are packed into the defensive 50 and of course every time you hack the ball out it is collected by an opponent who is under absolutely no pressure and can then take his time and pinpoint the pass even though the 50 is crowded. It seemed to me that the logical thing would be to bring 6 - 8 players out of the defensive zone so that you have some chance of bringing the ball forward when it's hacked out or at least putting some pressure on your opponents. Two things then happen you've made your opponents accountable and if their not accountable at least you have the chance of scoring at least one or two goals in three quarters of football. When you are being sliced apart in your defensive 50 and you have packed the area pulling a number of players out is not going to increase your opponents scoring but at least it can possible give you some chance.

I think the introduction or the enforcement of the arm chop rule has done away with that style of spoiling. Far too easy to give away a free, especially if you have any purple on your jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Fyfe back was great but if ever there was a case and point of him being a waste in the midfield it was on Saturday.
Who cares about his 30+ touches if they go nowhere.
Can we please just plonk him in the forward line.
Taberner, Cox and Fyfe and we all of a sudden have forwards that can clunk them.
I’d be truly excited by a forward line consisting of Taberner, Cox, Fyfe, Walters, Mundy and Cerra.
Make them hold positions and we can kick scores with that sort of front 6.

Stop this stupid running countless blokes through the midfield.

Neale and Blakely are born for the midfield. As is Brayshaw and Banfield.

Please sort out positions ASAP in the preseason and I truly think we have something.

Both Hills, Langdon play outside roles.

I just don’t get what we do with our set ups.

Lyon keeps saying let the cobblers do the cobbling. Well I say it’s time to do just that.

Chris Mayne would not be playing good footy with us, he'd be playing stale, slow and mistake-ridden just like everyone else in the team. He's benefiting from being in a new system, like Crozier is
Crozier was playing well as a rebounder for us as well. Mayne is filling a role that the Pies don't have and actually recruited him for..

Really? They recruited him to play on the wing?

Truth is even with the likes of all those guys we probably still would have still got belted at Antartic Park by a very strong Cats side.

anyway 24 hours later.....did you have Hird or Sumich in mind Scham ??? or someone else?

Having Fyfe back was great but if ever there was a case and point of him being a waste in the midfield it was on Saturday.
Who cares about his 30+ touches if they go nowhere.
Can we please just plonk him in the forward line.
Taberner, Cox and Fyfe and we all of a sudden have forwards that can clunk them.
Forwards who can clunk them are uiseless as well, when the ball doesn't get there...

Really? They recruited him to play on the wing?
In the end they recruited him to improve their team. We didn't recruit Tarrant to play FB either...

Forwards who can clunk them are uiseless as well, when the ball doesn't get there...

Yeah I get that, but he had 30+ and how many inside 50s did we have? I know it’s one game but I’ve long said as have many others that he’d be an outstanding CHF.
Walters would be an outstanding small forward.
Yet we run these 2 through the midfield.
North have done it with Ziebell and Tigers with Caddy. You can play yours mids in permanent forward roles.

I’d take 20 touches and 2 goals from Fyfe over any 30+ goalless game.

We need scoreboard impact. Fyfe and Walters can provide that.

Did they do anything about it? Or just back everyone in and blame it on a rebuild?

Round 13, 2008 - no so long ago - WCE lost by 135 points to Geelong.

Brad Hardie attacked Woosha for relying on veterans, Woosha attacked Hardie's character ("never played in a premiership side'), Glass as captain and Sumich as assistant coach refused to label Eagles' performance as unacceptable.

The link: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/is-the-pressure-getting-to-woosha-20080624-ge76nj.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back